A New Era for the Wrestling Thread

Everything in wrestling today is influenced by 2000s ROH and Japan so if you're going to criticise AEW for being too indy then criticise the whole damn business for it. NXT and AEW both have exciting action and good promos from time to time, but they both also don't do anything much outside of match, in-ring promo, match, in-ring promo etc. etc . The truth is everything is half assed from a format standpoint in wrestling today . Lucha Underground actually did something new in the genre and tried serialized storytelling and cinematics but nobody freaking watched so we're only ever going to see basic ***** stuff as far presentation goes now. I still love wrestling but man it is so old. Wrestling doesn't want to evolve it's presentation and most fans are the equivalent of CBS viewers, so even if we get a company trying to give us a revolutionary product like ECW did, not enough people will pay attention to it. Everyone in the wrestling business a is still doing the same RAW or Nitro type show from 20
years ago.
As someone who adored ROH during the mid 2000s, I disagree AEW feels like it. What made ROH so much fun at its best, was that it wasn't overtly indy. Sure they were wrestling in crappy buildings and the audio quality was god awful. But there was something else there, which saw extremely talented youngsters, learning their craft. Which is why guys like Bryan, Punk and Joe ended up all time greats and in the the WWE. Why guys like KENTA were having their best matches stateside.

IMO AEW has failed to create stars, while feeding all the real time and effort into guys like Jericho and Cody. One who is too old to be a decent worker at this point, and another who has never been anything but average in the ring. They act like we should know that Omega is one of the best going, and yet unless you followed New Japan, how would you know that? And the "younger generation" that they are apparently trying to get over, just feel closer to backyard wrestlers then prime time ROH or NOAH. Especially when you consider just how bare bones their roster is. The repetition is just... eh. The only guy I feel like has had a decent time of it is Moxley, who might be their saving grace. Even still, AEW feels so obessed with the WWE, that their inferiority complex bleeds through like mad. Also, just from like a storytelling perspective, how in the bad place did AEW end up with three separate cult factions already? :funny:

NXT to me feels closer to the Smackdown Six era, without all the crazy storylines. And while I agree they could do with a little more variety in presentation, they have storylines and layers to their characters and show that AEW just can't compete with. Mainly as NXT has way more talent, doing their thing. The Undisputed Era, Ciampa, Balor, Lee, Baszler, Tegan, Candice, Dakota, Io, Ripley, Riddle, Dunne, Kushida, Dijakovic, Breezango, etc. NXT is down Johnny Wrestling and Dream right now, and it doesn't matter. That's nuts.

Last edited:
Moxley was and always has been the most complete member of The Shield so I don't get why anyone would hold his status in WWE against him. He became the most over babyface in WWE for a time and was cast aside because he wasn't WWE's pet. I can't believe people actually buy that third member shirt when Moxley actually was a top merch seller but AJ Styles gets that credit for his brief period at the top. Where does this idea that Moxley is less than come from? He was the most organically popular of the three I'd argue

AEW has to apparently create stars immediately for some reason because no one wants to give them time. You have to understand that WWE raided the indies for years before AEW came to be, so despite Kahn's pockets AEW still has to work with who is available, I think it's a damn shame that people expect a new company to be full of stars in the current reality with contracts as they are. ECW didn't have the luxury of big names either and TNA didn't either at first, but people gave them time, so why must AEW be WCW already? Ted Turner bought Jim Crockett's stars and Vince bought Gagne and other people's stars and didn't create anyone for years.

AEW is in a unique position because despite the money, they are dealing with being the new island of misfit toys a la ECW. They don't have names outside of Jericho and Moxley right now and the others just either weren't big names in WWE like Cody or are cast offs who wouldn't fit some people's idea of a wrestler. I mean Punk was a yarder and always had that favor in a way. Freaking Sabu and Sandman always had a job in the business and made some noise for ECW enough to get spots in WCW and WWE despite being guys who weren't exactly talented in my opinion, but they did get an audience and Heyman did good things with them. Darby Allen is a wrestling god compared to some popular ECW names.

AEW is indy I guess but I like it because I want a national company that has a violent streak in it. I want wrestlers saying what they would say instead of being scripted , I want something soft ash WWE won't give us anymore. I'm personally tired of hardcore matches that aren't really hardcore matches.
AEW has problems but they actually want me around unlike WWE who feel like they are owed fans. AEW has serious problems mostly due to garbage commentary where an old guy is pointing out flaws and benching about new wrestling rather trying his best to get things over, or an idiot who already seems familiar with a brand new wrestler and gimmick for Allie that the audience hasn't seen, pushing Brandi (because Cody is a good husband and no other reason) with a random gimmick where she's a crazy witch despite being a company executive who has business to take care of. I mean Tony Kahn is just cool with a loon in his office I guess The Dark Order is recruiting anyone despite working in a wrestling company where you should recruit freaking wrestlers to become a more powerful WRESTLING faction.

I mean storylines are garbage right now in every company. The matches themselves are good but storylines are dead now. I mean where's the drama now?

Last edited:
Moxley was and always has been the most complete member of The Shield so I don't get why anyone would hold his status in WWE against him. He became the most over babyface in WWE for a time and was cast aside because he wasn't WWE's pet. I can't believe people actually buy that third member **** when Moxley actually was a top merch seller but AJ Styles gets that credit for his brief period at the top. Where does this idea that Moxley is less than come from? He was the most organically popular of the three I'd argue
His status in the WWE defines him for the vast majority of people who watch wrestling. It is just how it is. Now does that mean he can't better that status? Of course not. But is he going to do that on a show a lot less people watch, with no one to really put him over? There is no Brock or Punk there. He is kind of wrestling in obscurity while being on cable.

AEW has to apparently create stars immediately for some reason because no one wants to give them time. You have to understand that WWE raided the indies for years before AEW came to be, so despite Kahn's pockets AEW still has to work with who is available, I think it's a damn shame that people expect a new company to be full of stars in the current reality with contracts as they are. ECW didn't have the luxury of big names either and TNA didn't either at first, but people gave them time, so why must AEW be WCW already? Ted Turner bought Jim Crockett's stars and Vince bought Gagne and other people's stars and didn't create anyone for years.
Them being new changes their roster being thin? You can say that is the reason, and yeah I get that. But it doesn't change that their roster is thin and thus they should take that into account with how they book. They don't imo. Also maybe they shouldn't have screwed over New Japan if they needed more legit wrestling talent to help.

What I think is their biggest issue is how they have framed the show. AEW is new, but they try to act like they aren't. They try to act like there is this long history, that doesn't actually exist unless you watched a lot of other promotions. So they seem to want to just skip the important stepts. Kenny is a prime example. Kenny should be front and center every week, not on Dark, trying to turn others into stars, when he doesn't have that actual status because the vast majority have no idea who Kenny Omega is. And I think this is a big issue, because they act like we should understand their hierarchy already. So that if Kenny ever does come around to being the man, we should just know that is who he could be.

AEW is in a unique position because despite the money, they are dealing with being the new island of misfit toys a la ECW. They don't have names outside of Jericho and Moxley right now and the others just either weren't big names in WWE like Cody or are cast offs who wouldn't fit some people's idea of a wrestler. I mean Punk was a yarder and always had that favor in a way. Freaking Sabu and Sandman always had a job in the business and made some noise for ECW enough to get spots in WCW and WWE despite being guys who weren't exactly talented in my opinion, but they did get an audience and Heyman did good things with them. Darby Allen is a wrestling god compared to some popular ECW names.
This feels like a really weird comparison, because is the idea that AEW should just be fine with failing? Because that is what ECW did. They failed. For whatever influence they had on the business, they didn't last very long and they all ended up working for Vince.

I have a hard time seeing Darby Allin being the answer to the talent WWE has on it's books.

AEW is indy I guess but I like it because I want a national company that has a violent streak in it. I want wrestlers saying what they would say instead of being scripted , I want something soft ash WWE won't give us anymore. I'm personally tired of hardcore matches that aren't really hardcore matches.
See, I don't really care for that kind of stuff anymore. I love blood feuds, I love crazy stunts. But as a kid who grew up absolutely in love with Benoit and Misawa, I don't need these guys doing their stuff to their bodies when we know what that has led to in the past. These guys and gals are already doing enough putting on show night in and night out. Give me the presence of guys like Ciampa or Bray, over "proper" hardcore matches. I find the former far more effective in terms of telling a story.

AEW has problems but they actually want me around unlike WWE who feel like they are owed fans. AEW has serious problems mostly due to garbage commentary where an old guy is pointing out flaws and *****ing about new wrestling rather trying his best to get things over, or an idiot who already seems familiar with a brand new wrestler and gimmick for Allie that the audience hasn't seen, pushing Brandi (because Cody is a good husband and no other reason) with a random gimmick where she's a crazy witch despite being a company executive who has business to take care of. I mean Tony Kahn is just cool with a loon in his office I guess The Dark Order is recruiting anyone despite working in a wrestling company where you should recruit freaking wrestlers to become a more powerful WRESTLING faction.
I feel like HHH wants me around. I feel like the wrestlers want me around, which to me is the most important part. See I don't like Vince, but Vince isn't the entire WWE. He has never been that to me. And when I see NXT, I am watching a lot of talented folk putting on some of my favorite pro wrestling. And while we can talk about the talent gap, HHH is just way better at this then Cody and his crew imo.

AEW has this weird need to appeal to people who seemingly want to crap on the WWE and little else. And yet for me, all that ended up doing was annoying me, while reminding me that there is a company with a lot more people I want to watch. And to me, that isn't really wanting wrestling fans around. Because yeah, it doesn't have to be either or. I can enjoy as much wrestling as I want. But AEW seems fixated over it being either or, so they asked me to choose. And I did.

I mean storylines are garbage right now in every company. The matches themselves are good but storylines are dead now. I mean where's the drama now?
Storylines I dig right now:

- New Japan's title picture (a decade worth of storytelling being distilled beautifully imo)
- KENTA's heel turn
- Bray vs. Bryan (doing an actual storyline about depression and it's working)
- Dakota's heel turn
- Baszler vs. Ripely
- Imperium vs. Gallus
- Finn's return to NXT
- Ciampa's return
- Undisputed Era's prophecy

the thing about AEW is that they don't need to appeal to casuals because if they do, they risk alienating their hardcore fanbase, which is 100% of their fanbase. Chris Jericho is as close to a mainstream star that AEW will ever get. The one who is most electrifying, the one we cannot see and Drax are too loyal to WWE to ever make the jump.....but I do think that Tony Khan will make an attempt to get into the business of Dwayne Johnson by trying to sign Simone Johnson (who is training to be a wrestler). However, if Tony Khan does that, he risks alienating the entire fanbase.

As for AEW signing WWE talent, they should limit it to those that they feel can benefit them. If Luke Harper was free, they should sign him because they need more big guys. AEW should not sign James Ellsworth, Enzo, Cass, Eva Marie or Cameron. They should sign Tenille Dashwood because she would help improve the Women's division there and her WWE experience helps for TV. They might sign Darren Young if they want another wrestler to represent the LGBT community. Say the WWE was to release Harper, Mike Kanellis, Mojo Rawley. Tamina, No Way Jose and Bryan Kendrick. In that group, AEW should only sign Harper, Kanellis and Kendrick (especially because Kendrick could be used as a developmental trainer for AEW). WCW and TNA did this, they signed everyone who was at one point under a WWE contract, even the mediocre wrestlers who ended up adding no value to either company. AEW should not be doing that.

Last edited:
Just watched the first episode of Powerrr,I’ll keep watching.

When will Adam Cole and Balor fight? The January Takeover?

AB-1.jpg

AB-2.jpg

AB-3.jpg

AB-4.jpg

AB-5.jpg

Meh, the NWO ridiculously had so many members, you either stick to the original 3 and leave Waltman out of it or you make the group more inclusive and add in a few more key ones like Bischoff, DiBiase, Savage, Bagwell and Norton.

The only person I would add to the NWO other than the three original members is DiBiase because they made it seem like he was backing the whole thing. They should've just stuck to them 4 because after a while half the WCW roster was NWO and that's what killed them. Although the whole finger poke of doom is still a guilty pleasure of mine.

Last edited:
NWO should go in as Hogan/Hall/Nash. No one cares about X-Pac/Sean Waltman (wrestling-wise).

AEW just needs to solidify who their BEST wrestlers/gimmicks/talent is and then give them storylines with actual substance to them. Probably need better writers. I'd argue that many of their current gimmicks need some refinement. Guys like Sammy Guevara, Private Party and the Dark Order could use some polishing.

FWIW, Moxley, Omega and Hangman should be pushed as their big Faces while Jericho, MJF and Pac need to be bigger heels. Give them cool sh*t to do that makes fans stand up when they come out because they don't know what's about to happen. It's not difficult. Having a secondary title wouldn't hurt either.

Good for Big Dave. I hated him through most of his WWE run and then Guardians of the Galaxy happened and when he came back last year, I was fine with his return.

As for NWO, not surprised that there is no Big Show. Show has never officially retired from WWE. He will probably go in by himself.

Luke Harper, Sin Cara and the Ascension have been released by the WWE.

Luke Harper/Brodie Lee should join AEW. He is a talented big man and he could have some real great hardcore matches against Jon Moxley in AEW.

Luke Harper, Sin Cara and the Ascension have been released by the WWE.

Luke Harper/Brodie Lee should join AEW. He is a talented big man and he could have some real great hardcore matches against Jon Moxley in AEW.

Plus AEW needs more big guys.

Wrestling is just not evolving much at all as a storytelling medium. I don't see the appeal anymore outside of the matches. Why does Vince want an Emmy and yet shows so little interest in developing characters? It's just pathetic because Power Rangers creates better stories in some seasons than any current wrestling show. I just think wrestling could do so much more and besides the now dead Lucha Underground no one cares. It's just not about creating stories now. Instead of progressing past the 90s we went backwards and pro wrestling is just coming off as lazy now that TV is giving us more than standard multi-cam sitcoms and procedural dramas. Pro Wrestling is just lazy from story aspect and at least guys like Russo, Bischoff, and Heyman had big ideas years ago, I guess I was spoiled by Lucha Underground creating it's own mytholgy that everything else just reeks of lack of effort.

The Gargano and Ciampa saga in NXT and Kofi's rise to champion were the last storylines I was invested in from the WWE.

I wasn't really into Lucha Underground's weird Mortal Kombat thing they had going on too be honest.

WWE isn't creative because they don't have to be and they are too scared to ruffle their corporate sponsors to do anything too wild now. Bray Wyatt's fiend character is the most creative thing in the WWE right now which tells you how safe and dull things are with the company.

Ya'll know damn well why Waltman is included in the nWo class and none of the other extras are. It also puts him in the exclusive company of two-time HOFer.

I'm pretty stoked for next week's Dynamite as I'll get to see all the people wrestle that I wanted to see.

Big Swole joins AEW. Guess we will be getting some hot AEW goss on Swerve City podcast.

Ya'll know damn well why Waltman is included in the nWo class and none of the other extras are. It also puts him in the exclusive company of two-time HOFer.

I'm pretty stoked for next week's Dynamite as I'll get to see all the people wrestle that I wanted to see.
Damn shame that Sean Waltman is going to be a 2 time HOFer and Stone Cold Steve Austin only has 1 ring, simply because Waltman is Hunter's buddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"