Writer(s) and director.

Invader Joker

Superhero
Reaction score
This project will live and die by the creative talent they get behind it.
Who could they realistically get?
Damon Lindelof is about the only person that comes to mind to writing that might be good.

I agree that if they get talented people to make it, it will be good, but if they get untalented people to make it, it will be bad.
In general it's obvious, but I feel that for this project even moreso since it has all the makings of one that'd be extremely easy to enter in development hell. Getting the tone right for it is extremely complicated (one of its leads being a literal child assasin with a dark backstory, even having to use Morrison's Batman run as inspiration makes finding the tone for this hard) on top of all the pressures of it being a Batman movie and part of a larger universe and having to differentiate itself from Matt Reeves take.
Even something like The Batman, in which Matt had all the freedom in the world, took a bunch of time to make. If they don't get some extremely competent talent behind this from the get-go I can very easily see this project ending up like how The Flash did and going through multiple writers and sets of creatives coming and going for years.

My vote would be for them to circle back around to The Batman candidate Matt Ross. Not a terribly well known filmmaker but he was the name apart from Reeves that intrigued me the most.

Captain Fantastic, his most high profile movie, is a great portrayal of a big dysfunctional family. He nails the dynamics of it and the main thing I am looking for in a candidate for this gig is a natural facility with stories about family.

In general it's obvious, but I feel that for this project even moreso since it has all the makings of one that'd be extremely easy to enter in development hell. Getting the tone right for it is extremely complicated (one of its leads being a literal child assasin with a dark backstory, even having to use Morrison's Batman run as inspiration makes finding the tone for this hard) on top of all the pressures of it being a Batman movie and part of a larger universe and having to differentiate itself from Matt Reeves take.
Even something like The Batman, in which Matt had all the freedom in the world, took a bunch of time to make. If they don't get some extremely competent talent behind this from the get-go I can very easily see this project ending up like how The Flash did and going through multiple writers and sets of creatives coming and going for years.
I agree, making this movie will take a lot of time and money and the people doing it should be able to do a good job with it in order to be good.

David Gordon Green would be a great fit, I know his Halloween movies are controversial at best but he's a quietly excellent filmmaker with an extremely diverse filmography who has almost all the attributes I'd look for here.

I wouldn't be shocked if Andy Muschietti lands the directing gig here. Especially if The Flash ends up being as fantastic as the hype has claimed it to be.

And since Gunn's already confirmed that Christina Hodson is part of the DCU writing team, so between her work on Birds of Prey, Batgirl and The Flash, I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up writing for The Brave and the Bold too.

Wouldn’t this just make it easier, considering a tone has already been set by virtue of it being an adaptation?

Wouldn’t this just make it easier, considering a tone has already been sent by virtue of it being an adaptation?
I think not since Morrison's tone was very very specifically geared towards the comic medium. That's one of the things I find the most admirable about his run, the way he took advantage of it being a comic and being a part of a larger comic history that goes all over the place.

Didn't Gunn suggest Jeremy Saulnier for the director's job on The Batman? I mean, wouldn't be a bad pick.

Didn't Gunn suggest Jeremy Saulnier for the director's job on The Batman? I mean, wouldn't be a bad pick.
Would've been great for the kind of movie they were going for with The Batman but once again: if this is any kind of dark gritty crime thriller they are making a massive mistake. It would be mind blowing if this wasn't more of a colourful, comic booky adventure movie with the League of Assassins and heightened silliness.

Matthew Vaughn feels like he's long since had his day in the sun, I loved First Class and Kick-Ass when I was younger and maybe they still hold up but his movies since just feel stupid and juvenile now. It is very fitting that he works so closely with Mark Millar since he sure feels like his cinematic equivalent.

I know some people want Martin Campbell to direct Bond 26, because of his history with Bond and rebooting that franchise successfully twice, but...

What about him for this? His filmography on paper (two great Bond movies, The Mask Of Zorro) makes him the perfect director for a more Grant Morrison style Batman with a Robin who has a very interesting and dark backstory.

I know some people want Martin Campbell to direct Bond 26, because of his history with Bond and rebooting that franchise successfully twice, but...

What about him for this? His filmography on paper (two great Bond movies, The Mask Of Zorro) makes him the perfect director for a more Grant Morrison style Batman with a Robin who has a very interesting and dark backstory.
He would need a great script but Campbell is one of the great action journeymen. Would be a perfectly solid choice.

Sam Raimi but I don't know if he would be interested in Damien Wayne and the bat family

Would've been great for the kind of movie they were going for with The Batman but once again: if this is any kind of dark gritty crime thriller they are making a massive mistake. It would be mind blowing if this wasn't more of a colourful, comic booky adventure movie with the League of Assassins and heightened silliness.

Matthew Vaughn feels like he's long since had his day in the sun, I loved First Class and Kick-Ass when I was younger and maybe they still hold up but his movies since just feel stupid and juvenile now. It is very fitting that he works so closely with Mark Millar since he sure feels like his cinematic equivalent.
It kinda has to strike a balance since with Robin being a literal murderer I think it'll still be fairly dark, Morrison's Batman run is pretty dark too. Tonally I imagine it somewhat close to Gunn's TSS.

It kinda has to strike a balance since with Robin being a literal murderer I think it'll still be fairly dark, Morrison's Batman run is pretty dark too. Tonally I imagine it somewhat close to Gunn's TSS.
Oh for sure, but that’s still a different skillset than I’d be looking for normally in a Batman movie.

For what it’s worth Jett on BOF has been talking about the main thing he’s hearing being the DCU Batman stuff being pretty silver age and Adam West, so I’d imagine a mix of that and the violent dark comedy of Damian.

Oh for sure, but that’s still a different skillset than I’d be looking for normally in a Batman movie.

For what it’s worth Jett on BOF has been talking about the main thing he’s hearing being the DCU Batman stuff being pretty silver age and Adam West, so I’d imagine a mix of that and the violent dark comedy of Damian.
I mean... yeah, that's Morrison's Batman. He had a bunch of silver age throwbacks but they were always presented with a dark and "adult" twist, which makes sense given this is gonna be Gunn's Batman.

It's gonna be really complicated to do this because Damian is also a character I think is kinda hard to pull off without an R rating. His whole thing is killing people using swords and stuff. So whoever they get to do this will have to strike a very delicate balance.

Honestly I wish it'd just be Gunn that does this thing since it seems tailor-made specifically for him, but unless he does it after Superman I doubt it. Hell, even Damian as a character is pretty similar to Rocket Raccoon in a lot of ways.

My best guess for director is Andy Muschietti, with Goddard or maybe Gunn himself scripting it.

I can 100% confidently say I do not want Andy Muschietti directing this.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind Andy Muschietti directing this. He seems to have a passion for Batman as a character.

I don't want Muschietti on this.

I like him as a director ,but for this Batman, they need a new pair of eyes.

I'd want a different director, who could bring their own love for the character, for their own version ,as opposed to a director whose already spent the past few years working on two previous iterations of film Batmen in The Flash.

The creative team needs to be new for B&B, which it's probably going to be anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"