Writer's Strike....

Sam Fisher

Heavy Meddle
Reaction score
So is the writer's strike gonna affect SV in any way?? Because I don't want any long gaps between episodes like last season.

I'm not 100% informed on this strike, so can someone just give me the lowdown on how and to what extent this might affect SV and any other primetime series?

If the writers strike goes on for long Al Gough already said that Smallville won't be back after February. I guess they have that many scripts worked out. They are prepared to end the Season then with a cliffhanger.

If the writers strike goes on for long Al Gough already said that Smallville won't be back after February. I guess they have that many scripts worked out. They are prepared to end the Season then with a cliffhanger.

That's crazy. They claim to have that much material that's written and re-written so that's it's ready for shooting?

That's crazy. They claim to have that much material that's written and re-written so that's it's ready for shooting?
It's probably only halfway through the season, like episode 12 or something.

Yep. About 12 would be right.

There is an interview with Al Gough about this on the Supermanhomepage regarding the writers strike. That's where I got the info from.

Craig from K-Site said they have sixteen scripts completed, and that would be it, so it's almost a full season. I think if the writer's strike lasted as long as it did the last time, we won't get the last six episodes this season

At least we will have Lost & Smallville (for the most part)

That list doesn't answer the question i've been wondering since i heard the strike was on

'Is the Strike going to affect Season Five of Atlantis'

Still, good to know that Jericho is going to show all seven episodes.

I think it was but got left off by accident. I think it was with Supernatural, and given Craig's info about 16 episodes being in the can by tomorrow, that seems likely.

It got left off, by accident. Strange! :huh: Luckily we have Craig's info, otherwise I'd be a little worried.

You think they'd have all the shows listed there? Lots of them are missing, including Heroes.

I think it was but got left off by accident. I think it was with Supernatural, and given Craig's info about 16 episodes being in the can by tomorrow, that seems likely.

I think its safe to say that some networks are probably not sure what to do yet. Al said that if the strike happens they have an ending to end the season before the Winter status. I think networks like CW / NBC are playing the waiting game before making their final decision.

This whole deal about a writer's strike reminds me of when the same thing happened back in 1988. As a result, several TV shows had their episode totals cut by a few, due to lack of time. A prime example of this is the second year of "Star Trek: TNG", which has 22 episodes, whereas the other seasons had 26 (it also affected the DVDs, to where the Season 2 disc count is 6; the others have 7).

With regards to "Smallville", i could accept a 16-episode run for Season 7, so long as they make sure to do an 8th year or TV movie to wrap the loose ends up properly. A lot of series finales have not nailed down that point in recent years, so everything seems rushed.

Out of curiosity, I took a look at the strike rules. There is a section that would pertain to all the hyphenates working on Smallville (all producers and directors that also write):

WGA strike rule #12 said:
Additional Strike Rules pertaining to writers also employed in additional capacities ("hyphenates"):

Hyphenates (i.e. members employed in dual capacities such as writer-director, writer-producer, etc.) may not perform any writing services, including “(a) through (h)” services, for a struck company. The MBA defines “(a) through (h)” as follows:

(a) Cutting for time
(b) Bridging material necessitated by cutting for time
(c) Changes in technical or stage directions
(d) Assignment of lines to other existing characters occasioned by cast changes
(e) Changes necessary to obtain continuity acceptance or legal clearance
(f) Casual minor adjustments in dialogue or narration made prior to or during the period of principal photography
(g) Such changes in the course of production as are made necessary by unforeseen contingencies (e.g., the elements, accidents to performers, etc.)
(h) Instructions, directions, or suggestions, whether oral or written, made to a writer regarding story or screenplay

http://wga.org/subpage_member.aspx?id=2493

It severely limits what Goughlar and any other writer/producer may do in regards to "fixing" a script. For example, an episode cut for time may not be edited to better bridge any missing scenes.

This will make it harder for them.

Craig made a good point, no network notes may mean fewer nonsensical plot points. Many problems people have with the writers are usually because of network notes imposed on them, not things they came up with on their own according to what DeKnight has said in the past.

However, things may not flow well if scenes are cut or have to be shot in an unintended location due to unforseen circumstances.... Gaps in logic could be very likely.

that list seems bogus, IMO

That list doesn't answer the question i've been wondering since i heard the strike was on

'Is the Strike going to affect Season Five of Atlantis'

Still, good to know that Jericho is going to show all seven episodes.

All they're writers are Canadian so their safe. Now if there was a Screen Actors Guild Strike Flanigan and Momoa would have to strike.

It doesn't matter whether you agree, disagree or don't care, since they are part of the Union they would have to sit out. Its majority rules.

If the Actors Guild go on strike just because the writers are then that is more greedy then the Studio Execs not even wanting to stop the writers strike. At least the writers have a cause & a reason to on strike. The Actors Guild would be even more greedy & make the studio execs look good if they strike :whatever:

This is what someone else posted on the Heroes boards:

Kring signed a letter along with many show runners stating they would not write if there was a strike

http://www.wga.org/subpage_member.aspx?id=2529

So, just to be absolutely clear: In the event of a strike, we, the following showrunners, will do no writing and no story breaking — nor will any be asked of our writing staffs — until we get a deal.

most recognizable names include

Robert Carlock
Tina Fey
(30 Rock)

Tim Kring
(Heroes)

James L. Brooks
Matt Groening
Al Jean
(The Simpsons)

Ronald D. Moore
(Battlestar Galactica)

Al Gough
Miles Millar
(Smallville)

I'll volunteer to write some episdes for Smallville. I'll guarantee we'll be seeing Tom in the Superman duds.

In terms of Superhero stuff Hollywood does not need Guild Writers when Fan Boys would do things for free :woot:

Dibs on the Season 7 Finale

I already wrote a script for Season 7.

It's called "Finally", and it's about Kara's permanent sentence to the Phantom Zone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"