WW - most influential/ impactful/ remembered and talked about movie of 2017?

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
Wonder Woman might not win the box office for the top grossing movie of 2017, nor might it even win (or be nominated for) best picture or any other major academy award. However, do you think, when the year is over, that the film will have been the most influential and talked about movie of 2017? Will it have had the most impact for all the things it achieved?

Will it be the movie everyone ultimately remembers the most this year, or is there anything else that could take its place?

What do people think?

I think it'll definitely be the best remembered superhero film this year for sure.

Superhero film yes, but what about most remembered film outright? Is there anything else that can compete?

Last Jedi is still on the way.

Talked about? Of the summer, I suppose, but not 2017. Impactful? Of the year? Certainly not. It's only July, anyway. Plenty of other movies can still claim that, but it won't be Wonder Woman. It's a unique superhero film. On its own merits as just a film, there's more to come this year.

I think it will probably have an impact and be perceived as a significant achievement.

It's the most financially successful film at the box office by a female director, so that alone is not a minor thing. Previously it was Fifty Shades of Grey (570M) for live action and Kung Fu Panda 2 (664M) overall, so Wonder Woman is going to push the boundaries there by quite a bit and could open up some opportunities for other directors.

However, when we start using terminology like "most impactful" and "most memorable," then that is much more nebulous territory.

I'm not really sure.

That's more of a long-term cultural thing, it's not something one can be confident about at this point in time.

In terms of cultural impact, I see little-no significance.

It will be remembered as 'superhero movie of Summer 2017'.

Impact is that it will allow more women directors into comic book films.

I hope Wonder Woman gives us more female leads and directors in the superhero genre, but I think when it comes down to awards season, Logan is the more likely one to get nominations for the important categories.

Within the superhero and summer popcorn blockbuster genres, it's the main talking point, but other movies will,have more impact. Dunkirk and Last Jedi both spring to mind.

I think it will probably have an impact and be perceived as a significant achievement.

It's the most financially successful film at the box office by a female director, so that alone is not a minor thing. Previously it was Fifty Shades of Grey (570M) for live action and Kung Fu Panda 2 (664M) overall, so Wonder Woman is going to push the boundaries there by quite a bit and could open up some opportunities for other directors.

However, when we start using terminology like "most impactful" and "most memorable," then that is much more nebulous territory.

I'm not really sure.

That's more of a long-term cultural thing, it's not something one can be confident about at this point in time.

I agree that it's hard to tell its long-term cultural impact and that is hard to measure.

It's also hard to tell the effect it has women and girls, especially when that question is answered by guys.

But it's hard to ignore the amount of goodwill and enthusiasm from female audiences.

We will have to wait and see whether it will open up opportunities for female filmmakers, whether it creates any cultural trend in female superhero movies, female leads, or movies with women at the helm. If it is the first of a wave of popular female superhero movies and/or more diverse movies, then that is significant.

Wonder Woman as a character has made a cultural impact herself for decades. Her popularity has remained strong and surges even higher when things such as the 70s tv show and this movie are released.

Last edited:
It'll be -

- 2017's movie of the summer

- the movie that opens the door for female directors to work on blockbusters.

- The leggiest superhero movie since Spiderman 2002

- be paid homage by future CBM, and No Man's Land will be a pop cultural/movie reference i.e. Superman got his "NML" scene etc.

- the movie that saved DCEU, or the turning point for DCEU.

as for the question of the thread, no there are other films, and I'm sure Moonlight will be the most talked about movie of 2017 due to that c**k up at the Oscars

It'll be -

- be paid homage by future CBM, and No Man's Land will be a pop cultural/movie reference i.e. Superman got his "NML" scene etc.

as for the question of the thread, no there are other films, and I'm sure Moonlight will be the most talked about movie of 2017 due to that c**k up at the Oscars

:up:

The leggiest superhero movie since Spiderman 2002

Punny.

It'll be -

Well Moonlight might be talked about, but only for the wrong reasons and not for the merits of the movie itself. It would be more about how people felt La La Land should've won and all the mix up at the Oscars than actual praise for the movie. With Wonder Woman, I mean people talking about the movie in a positive way for the movie itself.

After all, in 2015, Fant4stic was talked about a lot too, but not for good reasons.

Not the merits of the film itself? Moonlight wasn't exactly a mediocre movie. There's a reason it got so much acclaim.

Not the merits of the film itself? Moonlight wasn't exactly a mediocre movie. There's a reason it got so much acclaim.

True but it did get caught up in all that commotion at the Oscars. Which actually might've helped with the publicity.

Judging it on its own merit, I think Moonlight will be remembered as a respected and acclaimed film but I don't think it will be the most talked about movie of 2017.

Anyway, there are still a lot of movies to come out this year, tentpoles and Oscar bait.

Back to Wonder Woman- in terms of an across-the-board, popular well-received movie, WW is definitely up there and likely still will be by year's end.

Not saying it's mediocre, but it probably wouldn't have gotten the same attention it did if not for the mix up. It would just be like any other Oscar-nominated or winning film, which might be acclaimed but not everyone is constantly buzzing about it. Certainly not in the same way as Wonder Woman. It's not like people can't get enough of Moonlight and bring it up at every occasion.

Wonder Woman is definitely far more talked about than that, and not just for being a blockbuster but for many other reasons.

In terms of impact, I imagine it might well be, assuming it does lead to more movies being greenlit with female directors and leads.

Its important to separate things like "most memorable/talked about" and "most impactful" apart, when these subjects arise! Whille it will become one of the most impactful movies within comic book cinematic genre for sure if not THE most impactful at all! (Only Black Panther can compete with Wondy on that one! Others - not so much! Not even the Justice League!)...With its magical box office run it already became cultural phenomenon at this point and will certainly go down in this history of conic book movies as one of the most impactful things ever if not THE most! Outside comic book genre on more general scale there are more movies, that still will be more impactful to the society than Wondy, but considering it appealed to broader audience than your average usual pop corn flick comic book cinematic experience in the vein of MCU i would say, that even outside comic book movie genre Wondy can become say top-50 of the most impactful movies of all times! But it would still lose to Hollywood juggernauts like Titanic, Perl Harbor, Schindler's List, Forest Gump, A couple of Scorcesse films, a couple of James Cameron films (most recently Avatar!), Star Wars franchise, Star Trek franchise, a couple of Steven Spielberg films, Alien franchise and action testosterone flicks of the past like Terminator, Rambo etc...There will be plenty, that would top Wondy, but i think she is a part of top-50 most impactful movies of all times now for sure! Within comic book genre she is clearly in the top-5 now!! Probably even at the very top! (Some may still prefer Reeve's Superman, some Dark Knight, some would put Logan at the top and someone still think, that Tim Burton's era Batman movies are the best and most impactful comic book movies, despite Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy!) Whatever your pick is Wondy is more than likely in the top-5 now! As for most memorable/talked about! Its veeery unlikely! While it will be ONE of most talked about movies of the year, it won't be THE MoST talked about for sure! The Last Jedi and even Dunkirk will be the ones that will be most talked about! I think it will be between those two! Movies like Logan, Wondy, Justice League, Beauty And The Beast and even Baby Driver are honorable mentions of this year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"