Logan X-24 (Spoilers)

Didn't like it. I dont like the general idea of hero fighting his copy/clone/whatever, would have been way better to have Victor instead (Nobody gets to kill you but me!")

I actually think the clone idea worked since it was pretty much Weapon X he was fight and a Logan in his prime that you could see the dark side of the character.

Definitely the weakest part of the film for me. Almost ruined the experience. I get the metaphor for fighting yourself but a carbon-copy clone of the hero is so boring. Especially when there were a number of characters that would have made sense with the story unchanged. Sabertooth would have brought everything full circle. Omega Red fit with the Weapon X program and would have been far more visually interesting. Hell, even Lady Deathstrike would have been better (and made sense due to her Reaver connections).

Overall, I liked Logan but X-24 was a huge stain on what was an otherwise great movie.

Exactly. It will keep if from being perfect forever (along with the bunch of kids Mad Max 3 style at the end).

Definitely the weakest part of the film for me. Almost ruined the experience. I get the metaphor for fighting yourself but a carbon-copy clone of the hero is so boring. Especially when there were a number of characters that would have made sense with the story unchanged. Sabertooth would have brought everything full circle. Omega Red fit with the Weapon X program and would have been far more visually interesting. Hell, even Lady Deathstrike would have been better (and made sense due to her Reaver connections).

Overall, I liked Logan but X-24 was a huge stain on what was an otherwise great movie.

I disagree. Why introduce ANOTHER character, so that people can inevitably complain about how this new villain was "tacked on" and "had no development" and was just "put in as fan service"?

I think the idea to use a Wolverine clone - in this instance - was pretty brilliant. In most movies, a clone is just a "gimmick", but clones are Essential to Wolverine's backstory. It gave Wolverine the thematic "fighting yourself" element; it showed Laura essentially "destroying the old Wolverine"; it gave us the surreal moment of wondering if Wolverine killed Charles; and it gave us a superhuman final battle without having to "introduce" another villain. Also, X-24 (NOT Logan) is the feral, unbridled Wolverine that we have actually never seen on screen. Even Logan had his moral reservations. X-24 was the true embodiment of "the animal" that we have been teased with, since the beginning, and he was terrifying.

Why put a different character in, just because it would have been "cool," when the Wolverine clone was SO much more relevant?

X-24 was the one thing I didn't quite like in Logan. Poor choice for a villain I thought.

Me as well. The first thing I thought while watching the movie is "this doesn't fit in this movie." The entire thing was this gritty realistic type of movie, and the fight yourself angle seemed to "comic bookish"

Also didn't seem to fit the logic of the movie... like they had to grow kids from test tubes but they suddenly can create this full sized clone?

having said that, I think after the movie ends and you accept that's the decision they made, it's fine.

For one thing I think they did a GREAT job with the costuming and characterization. It's visually similar to Liev Schreiber but also to Wolverine from the comics so that was a great subtle choice. Also they did a good job rationalizing his appearance... having Rice explain that cloning kids was a decision to control them mentally not necessarily a technological limitation, and also giving a decent reason WHY they would need a full clone of Wolverine

I disagree. Why introduce ANOTHER character, so that people can inevitably complain about how this new villain was "tacked on" and "had no development" and was just "put in as fan service"?

I think the idea to use a Wolverine clone - in this instance - was pretty brilliant. In most movies, a clone is just a "gimmick", but clones are Essential to Wolverine's backstory. It gave Wolverine the thematic "fighting yourself" element; it showed Laura essentially "destroying the old Wolverine"; it gave us the surreal moment of wondering if Wolverine killed Charles; and it gave us a superhuman final battle without having to "introduce" another villain. Also, X-24 (NOT Logan) is the feral, unbridled Wolverine that we have actually never seen on screen. Even Logan had his moral reservations. X-24 was the true embodiment of "the animal" that we have been teased with, since the beginning, and he was terrifying.

Why put a different character in, just because it would have been "cool," when the Wolverine clone was SO much more relevant?

yeah thematically it was fine. it was literally Wolverine facing and coming to terms with his past. if nothing else for the CHARACTER it was the most restful way for the character to die. Sacrificing himself, having both Laura and himself "end" the old Wolverine and fulfill Xavier's legacy by saving the kids and being "worthy" of his "dad" instead of being the disappointment in the movie

structurally though it was awkward, when a lot of people have an issue with something there's a reason for that, even if they can't articulate it. The world in a movie has certain rules and a full on clone conveniently appearing seems to negate some of the rules that have been established.... people have remarked that it's straight from the comics and that's the problem... it seems more from the comic book world that Logan tells Laura is fake than the world of the movie. sort of a deux ex in reverse. yes you can understand WHY he's in the movie but he's too convenient a plot device. I don't like anything that takes you out of the movie and that's what he was to me when I saw him. I do agree he's 100x better than having Sabretooth or other crap ppl are wanting though. At least Logan makes thematic sense, even if a bit awkward in implementation

. Omega Red fit with the Weapon X program and would have been far more visually interesting..

Oh yes! That would have been fierce! Imagine him lifting Laura and Logan at the same time with those hand tentacles. That would have been an experience.

I didn't like X-24 but I understand his purpose. He was meant to symbolism the inner battle, he was what Logan use to be or what Weapon X wanted him to be. Wolverine learning how to be a person won out against the monster.

Still would have liked Sabretooth, Omega Red, or some other old school rival.

Because it IS tacked on, regardless of who is in that role in the story.

The thing is--we've been down this road before with Deadpool in Wolverine: Origins or Ladydeath Strike in X2.

It does serve its purpose in this film but it underwhelmed me, as a fan, seeing that the trope of "the only one threat that can stop Wolverine is another mutant with the same or similar genetic makeup."

As far as I'm concerned, X-24 is as close to Daken I was going to get anyhow.

Last edited:
You have to remember they have to work with a relatively smaller budget, so Omega Red effects would have cost more.

Remember how the huge robot made the third act of The Wolverine really weird? Sometimes less is more!

The thing is--we've been down this road before with Deadpool in Wolverine: Origins or Ladydeath Strike in X2.

It does serve its purpose in this film but it underwhelmed me, as a fan, seeing that the trope of "the only one threat that can stop Wolverine is another mutant with the same or similar genetic makeup."

We can still get Daken for a X-23 movie though!

Remember how the huge robot made the third act of The Wolverine really weird? Sometimes less is more!

Yep. And remember how everyone hated the giant robot at the end of the The Wolverine because it was a big special effects piece that didn’t fit in with the tone of the rest of the movie?

Omega Red is very cool. I would have loved to see him in one of the solo movie. But he never would have fit in with the story/tone of this movie. Putting him in would have been fan service, and nothing else.

You know. In an alternate universe, if the prior X movies had done Sabertooth justice and properly built up his rivalry/ relationship with Logan, this movie could've been a perfect way to cap it by bringing him back one last time for one final epic confrontation. But, alas, no one was really clamoring for Schrieber to reprise the role and it only would have made sense if Wolvie and Sabertooth had a consistent throughline arc throughout the X movies.

When he first fought Logan at the farm I though it was just a reference to the first X-Men (where he fights Mystique disguised as Wolverine), didn't know he'd be the final villain, thought he was just a thug/robot that would be destroyed before the final act of the movie. Still liked his character though.

I don't agree that it was the 'same road' as Deathstrike and "Deadpool". This was different. This was something that was so specific to not only Logan but to the character whose story we've been seeing since the beginning, that it would have made much less sense to throw someone else into it. Honestly, if they were going to do someone else, like Omega Red, they would have had to explain why he WASN'T just "some other Wolverine clone." It would have required more changes to the overall story (which was a story about Logan and his personal battles, not his enemies), or we would have had, what, another fan service nod to a great villain - such as we got with "Sabretooth" in the first X-men movie?

After Wolverine, the Weapon X program went into stasis, trying to recreate him. That is why even the 23rd incarnation was based off of his 'design'. I think an 'in his prime' version of him is one of those few instances where doing such a trope actually transcends the bias against it being 'just a trope', and works so well with what's already been established in the character's backstory that it's almost foolish not to use it.

Yes, it was just "a clone", but given the story we were given in Logan, and what Logan has been through, emotionally, during most of his entire run as an X-Man, I think that "another mutant" as the last villain would have been a step backward.

With all that being said, though - I think it would have been nice to see another, recognized villain get some spotlight. I just don't think this was the movie in which to do it.

Last edited:
Saw it today and the inclusion of an "evil twin" wowed the hell out of me. Unexpected but it fit the themes of the film. For a second I thought Scheiber was the best kept secret of the film. In many ways this worked better. Far more streamlined and allowed for screentime to be allocated to Logan, Charles and Laura's travels and relationships which is a huge reason the film works as well as it does.

When they were talking about Logans legacy and what he'd leave behind, I never thought it would be clones used to kill Mutants. It's just not Xavier who was dealt bad cards there. Makes both of their deaths even more sad.

Saw it today and the inclusion of an "evil twin" wowed the hell out of me. Unexpected but it fit the themes of the film. For a second I thought Scheiber was the best kept secret of the film. In many ways this worked better. Far more streamlined and allowed for screentime to be allocated to Logan, Charles and Laura's travels and relationships which is a huge reason the film works as well as it does.

He definitely resembled Liev Shreiber...I thought they did that on purpose.

^ I took it as a nod to his Old Man Logan haircut, but Shreiber's Victor works, too.

3-compressed.jpg

You have to remember they have to work with a relatively smaller budget, so Omega Red effects would have cost more.

Who said about a giant robot being saved for the final act? Like I said he could have played the roles of both Pierce/X-24. No 3rd villain and clone reveal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"