Comics X-Men #185 First Look

Joaqenix said:
One of my issues with the last issue was, why the hell was Bling (I think thats her name) with them in Apocalypse's Sphinx? Isn't she still a student? She didn't say anything or do anything either which just made her seem all the more random and pointless.

Are you talking about that... rockgirlthing that was one of Gambit's students during the Foxx arc? Oh ye gods, I'd forgotten that entire story until just now. And the memories come flooding back. >_<

If that's who you're talking about (note: the name could be right, I just don't know it), then... yeah. Still a student, definitely not graduated, so... why? Pfft, who knows?

Joaqenix said:
One of my issues with the last issue was, why the hell was Bling (I think thats her name) with them in Apocalypse's Sphinx? Isn't she still a student? She didn't say anything or do anything either which just made her seem all the more random and pointless.

El Bastardo said:
so... why? Pfft, who knows?

one of Milligan's pet characters, thats why.

Whats up with "Shut yo mouth, Apocalypse!" He comes across as a concerned uncle, not world-threatening badass.

El Bastardo said:
I really, really, really hate Milligan on Adjectiveless. It's downright vile... but you know what, sadly? I've stuck onboard for this long. What's the point in not buying the next couple issues?

That's so depressing.

Very depressing.

Why did Apocalypse feel the need to Grow Gambit's hair?

Should not have looked but couldn't resist, so looked quickly.:)

Is it longer than Gambit had before? If so, it's because all bad guys with hair must have really long hair. It's, you know, one of those unwritten rules. :rolleyes:

On the bottom of page two, the picture of Rogue... doesn't she remind anyone of some normal human contamined with Joker's laugh gas? >.>

Ugh, this preview (and arc) is just coming across as pure crap to me.

And I definitely agree with whoever said Rogue looks like a drag queen. Maybe Gambit b*tch slapped all the pretty off her.

Roughneck said:
Why did Apocalypse feel the need to Grow Gambit's hair?

Actually, that's probably as long as he's always had it. He just doesn't have that head wrap thingy on. Whenever we see him without it in the past, his hair is longer than with it on.

MoiBijou said:
OK,
the antidote for something (for the Horseman transformation perhaps?) poured all over Gambit and Gazer with his goat disguise.
Riiiiight...

And Gambit's hair is longer, a lot longer than before. He had it over shoulders.
I believe the
antidote is for whatever Pestilence is going to release, not for the horseman transformation.

cardslinger said:
I believe the
antidote is for whatever Pestilence is going to release, not for the horseman transformation.

Yup :up: :up: :up: You're right on. Should be funny to see what happens because of that.

*rolls eyes*

yeah, send a horseman to the school... may as well kill off a few more of the new x-men while we're at it...

cardslinger said:
I believe the

Yep, I didn't think of that. You're right. :up:

El Bastardo said:
I've stuck onboard for this long. What's the point in not buying the next couple issues?
What's the point? How about because you haven't liked the past issues? If you continue buying Milligan-written issues even though you don't like them, it'll only convince Marvel that you do like them, and they'll hire him for some other book.

It's like the people who complain about Liefeld's art, but continue to buy comics he's on because they want a complete collection. Money speaks louder than internet rants.

Yes, I'm aware of the irony of that last sentence.

Ah, how I adore defending purchasing practices. Mayhaps everyone should start writing treatises on why we buy what we buy. Those'd make for exciting reads.

If you think that me not buying the next two or three issues of Milligan's run will somehow convince Marvel that Milligan should not write for them, then... yeah. Light a pipe and take a nap. :rolleyes: Maybe if half the country did it...

What's the point? Well, I might not -like- his writing, but there is the problem that I have, to repeat myself, "stuck onboard for this long." Three issues in, why stop with as many left? The end is in sight, and there's absolutely no point in missing it. There's no point in jumping off after the ship's already sinking. Yeah, yeah. I'm so obviously one of those "complete collection" tools.

I wasn't aware that I was ranting. I thought I was making a comment about Milligan's writing, as others have (why, even in this very thread!). Thanks for the clarification. :up:

El Bastardo said:
Ah, how I adore defending purchasing practices. Mayhaps everyone should start writing treatises on why we buy what we buy. Those'd make for exciting reads.

If you think that me not buying the next two or three issues of Milligan's run will somehow convince Marvel that Milligan should not write for them, then... yeah. Light a pipe and take a nap. :rolleyes: Maybe if half the country did it...

What's the point? Well, I might not -like- his writing, but there is the problem that I have, to repeat myself, "stuck onboard for this long." Three issues in, why stop with as many left? The end is in sight, and there's absolutely no point in missing it. There's no point in jumping off after the ship's already sinking. Yeah, yeah. I'm so obviously one of those "complete collection" tools.

I wasn't aware that I was ranting. I thought I was making a comment about Milligan's writing, as others have (why, even in this very thread!). Thanks for the clarification. :up:
You're missing my point. Not just you. Everyone! If only you stopped reading comics you didn't like, that'd just be a couple of bucks Marvel isn't getting. But if every person who complains about Milligan's writing stopped buying, I think that'd send a clear message. I've seen people do nothing but complain about Milligan since "Golgotha." So what did they do? They continued to buy "Bizzare Love Triangle" and "Wild Kingdom."

If people (not just you, but all people) just stopped giving money to things they didn't like, it'd stop being made.

I get that you've stuck onboard for this long, but do you really want to stay onboard if you're just going to be disappointed in what happens next?

Yeah, well, all people aren't going to stop buying a book they don't like. And for whatever reason, regardless of whether said reason makes sense or does not. It's an unrealistic idea, even if a good one.

I read Golgotha. I wasn't particularly impressed by it, but figured he was just getting into the book. And yes, it got worse from there (I didn't actually read the Wild Kingdom stuff. I tend to not buy crossover events with books I do not read).

See, everyone was so adamant about Milligan being this top-notch writer. "AUSTEN SUCKS! MILLIGAN ROCKS! AUSTEN SUCKS! AUSTEN SUCKS!" was the rallying cry of the huddled comic-reading masses. "Give us a real writer!" I gave Milligan a chance, and too much of one. By the time I was ready to chuck X-Men down, we were into... ah, hell, I dunno. The re-emergence of Havok's baby brother issues, and the introduction of DAAP. And at that point, the Apocalypse arc was right around the corner, and if anything good was going to come out of this run, it was going to be Apocalpyse. Well, that was the reasoning. :down

The other part, I suppose, is the right of criticism. If I didn't buy the book, I'd have no grounds for criticizing the writer. People whine and complain and moan about Claremont, but for the most part don't read what he's currently writing (because it's all the same crap as before - the logic). And if anything's going to build discussion, it's criticism. That's kind of out the window at this point, though.

So, bleh, like I said. There are a few issues left. Why the heck not? =P

(edit: And I do drop titles that I don't like. But as I said in my above post, there comes a time where it's not even worth it to drop the title, as is the case right now with Adjectiveless. I don't exactly buy every title Marvel puts out each week, and yes, I do tend to steer myself clear of certain writers, as do we all.)

Hey, I like Milligan on X-Men. If he cut down on all the drama, the book would be pretty damn good. I like Larocca's art too; it's been slipping lately but still...

Manic said:
I get that you've stuck onboard for this long, but do you really want to stay onboard if you're just going to be disappointed in what happens next?

Well, in a book like X-Men, too, there's the "soap opera" element to consider...

What if you don't like this particular writer but DO still like these characters and want to keep informed about what's happening to them? Granted, big changes usually get reset, but you can miss a lot if you skip 6 to 12 issues of a comic book... Internet synopses and stuff are nice, but not really the same.

If I'm a Rogue fan (for example), I may not particularly like the direction Rogue is going, but I might very well feel that having bad Rogue stories in my life is lots better than having no Rogue stories at all... so, especially since the odds of getting everybody who's unhappy to boycott with me is low... I might be better served by expressing my dislike through letters to the editor or something and just riding it out otherwise. Assuming I can afford to buy the book, which if I have a computer and I'm posting on the Internet, I pretty obviously can...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"