Apocalypse X-Men Apocalypse News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a fair enough comment and from seeing the movie they did do a good job of that giving everyone something decent to do, but I'm not one of those that has to have every characters backstory filled in, there were plenty of complaints about the future mutants in DOFP not getting enough development but I didnt need their life history, they were there to show the struggle of the future mutants on the run and conveyed that well enough as well as having some outstanding action beats.

In these scale movies someones favourite character is going to get short changed, I'm braced for the complaints in Apoc for character X or Y not getting enough lines or development, its going to happen.

I'm watching Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron this weekend(I haven't seen any movie from phase 2 yet) so I can watch Civil War, and I'm watching mostly because of Spider Man. But I love what the Russo said because my biggest complaing about the franchise is not how much they focus on a few character, but how much they neglect the others. Scott, Storm, Colossus, Bishop, Emma Frost, Sabretooth, Sunspot, Banshee, Sebastian Shaw and other were either underdeveloped, had no lines or were killed off (some of them off screen). I'd love if the X-Men movies could finally find a way to balance the screentime and give some sort of arc (despite the screentime) for each character. If it's possible to do it on a solo hero movie, why not on a team movie?

There will be people excited to see Eric, there will be people excited to see Scott, and there will be people excited to see Jubilee. It would be great if all those characters had something great to do despite their screentime.

i thought everyone had something to do and a shining moment in dofp so i dont agree with that

i thought everyone had something to do and a shining moment in dofp so i dont agree with that

Cool that you liked it. Colossus, for instance, was part of the action scenes in the future, but the only thing he said throughout the whole movie was "Mystique". I mean, for those who were excited to see him in the movie, that could be a huge disappointment, right? The same could be said about Bishop, Blink or Storm.

as mentioned before, the characters in the MCU mostly have other movies or solo movies that they have appeared in thus need not have much development in the team up movies where they have time and space to introduce new characters, like Spider-Man for example. Thus, I don't think one can accurately compare them to the X-Men movies since the characters did not have solo movies aka Thor/Captain America/Iron-Man to properly introduce them before their "Avengers".

Cool that you liked it. Colossus, for instance, was part of the action scenes in the future, but the only thing he said throughout the whole movie was "Mystique". I mean, for those who were excited to see him in the movie, that could be a huge disappointment, right? The same could be said about Bishop, Blink or Storm.

that didn't need to say a line for me to feel for them they all played thier part very well

I saw CW and it was great but you can't compare it with DOFP. Civil War had one timeline whereas DOFP had two so you have to choose one timeline for development.
They chose the past so Mystique, Xavier and Magneto. I would like more Beast. You try to find a way to balance screentime for future cast, you lose some great story for the past or you make 3 hours movies.

In fact, you can compare CW to First Class and i will say they aren't very different in character development .

Last edited:
as mentioned before, the characters in the MCU mostly have other movies or solo movies that they have appeared in thus need not have much development in the team up movies where they have time and space to introduce new characters, like Spider-Man for example. Thus, I don't think one can accurately compare them to the X-Men movies since the characters did not have solo movies aka Thor/Captain America/Iron-Man to properly introduce them before their "Avengers".

But that can't be used as an excuse, right? It's a matter of balancing screentime. There is no problem in focusing on just a few to give them a better development, but you don't need to make other characters mute, for instance. Having solo movies before helps, but it's not the only way to balance screentime on team movies.

12501566_1769805126583527_2000927947_n.jpg

Are people really going to start arguing about individual characters' screentime in the X-franchise thus far?

I don't think that's a valid excuse when the main X-men films has had 4 team movies by the time DOFP was released.

And yet we've learned very little from the likes of Cyclops, Storm, and arguably Jean. Not to mention the younger X-men like Bobby, Rogue, Colossus and Kitty.

I don't begrudge the filmmakers from making Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine and Mystique (ok maybe that last one I do begrudge them...) the lead characters but when said lead characters are just see-sawing back and forth in storyline (dat mutant and proud line) there comes a time when you should probably develop your other characters.

Singer's quote about Scott, Storm and Jean getting the same development as the original FC characters gives one hope.

And yet we've learned very little from the likes of Cyclops, Storm, and arguably Jean. Not to mention the younger X-men like Bobby, Rogue, Colossus and Kitty.
Rogue and Iceman got a fair bit of development in the original trilogy (indeed, Rogue was the female lead in the first one). Colossus was never intended to be more than a prop.

Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine, Jean, Rogue, Iceman, Pyro, Nightcrawler, Beast, and Mystique received fair development/attention in at least one of the movies in the franchise (some characters only in one movie, some of them in the majority of the movies). Can't wait for Apocalypse to hopefully fill in the gaps.

Last edited:
Funny how people here begin to argue over comparison to CW
Do u people here feel so much insecure about How XMA will perform?

The Preview Magazine cover looks good, but I would switch Angel and Psylocke so Angels wings can be spread out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"