Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they release the first 6-7 minutes of Apocalypse like they did with DOFP? I remember there being a lot of positive feedback/anticipation for DOFP when they did. I think it'll help if they try to release a strong few minutes of footage (not too spoilerly) to help with DP.
Nah, they didn't. But iirc they showed off the first minutes of DOFP with Bobby and co. facing off against the Sentinels somewhere and then at the MTV movie awards with Ellen presenting it. The power displays in that scene (particularly Blink and Iceman) combined with the brutality of the Sentinels were definitely were received well, and releasing it online only helped them.

Yep, and prior to that they showed off the footage at different cons. So that scene was trending with strong wom across social media for awhile before release. Just like what's going on with Infinity War right now the descriptions start boosting the hype without showing anything online. Makes all the geek site and trade news while social media eats it up cause they can't see it.

DOFP had a solid presence at SDCC, I didn't bother waiting for the panel cause it's too difficult to get in but there were Sentinel heads on display, anti-mutant propaganda posters and Trask hats being passed out that had alot of people talking.

Last edited:
Not to mention that first SDCC teaser was absolutely bananas. I'm still bummed that it wasn't released online.

The Apocalypse poster given out at 2015 SDCC was cool too though. I hope they continue the trend and have lots of X-related gifts for con goers this year, particularly since we live in a glorious age where there are three X-films and a TV show being filmed simultaneously.

Fox and Fox Home Entertainment really go the extra mile with their good films though. Deadpool had fan screenings before the premier, Logan was showing off 40 minutes of the film all over the world because they already knew what they had was tremendous, even with incomplete VFX. Hopefully next year we follow similar patterns.

Yeah, already those Logan and Deadpool Vinyls are pretty cool. Hopefully there's a ton of good loot this year.

While they are tough to judge the release reception, early fan screenings are almost guaranteed to start a positive hype trend since it's just lucky fans who are excited to see the film before anyone else. They are very less likely to be heavily critical given such privilege. If XMA did that instead of the early critic embargo I think it would have slowed the bad wom a good deal.

Nah, they didn't. But iirc they showed off the first minutes of DOFP with Bobby and co. facing off against the Sentinels somewhere and then at the MTV movie awards with Ellen presenting it. The power displays in that scene (particularly Blink and Iceman) combined with the brutality of the Sentinels were definitely were received well, and releasing it online only helped them.

Yep, and prior to that they showed off the footage at different cons. So that scene was trending with strong wom across social media for awhile before release. Just like what's going on with Infinity War right now the descriptions start boosting the hype without showing anything online. Makes all the geek site and trade news while social media eats it up cause they can't see it.

DOFP had a solid presence at SDCC, I didn't bother waiting for the panel cause it's too difficult to get in but there were Sentinel heads on display, anti-mutant propaganda posters and Trask hats being passed out that had alot of people talking.

Gotcha. Sounds like they should definitely take a similar approach to this since it worked so well for DOFP. In hindsight they probably should've released that footage in Egypt from the intro, that probably would've gotten a decent reception.

I forgot how good the promo for DOFP was, with that website and everything. If the Genosha rumor is true they could so some interesting stuff with that.

Anyone know how long Fox's hall h panel usually is? An hour seems very short especially since they just announced that the cast of Kingsman will be there.

Could just be Kingsman + X-stuff. But it does seem short considering how they had 105 minutes in 2015.

Maze Runner and Predator I'd say are likely.

Outside of Golden Circle we have not had any other confirmations right?

For XMDP? Probably not.

Dark Phoenix, Predator and Alita are primed for next year's SDCC with their release dates.

I'd say Kingsman, Mazerunner, New Mutants and Deadpool 2 are the ones to hit for Fox this year since they will be released before next years SDCC.

Last edited:
Sophie and Tye will be there anyway so they'll have red carpet interviews where im sure they can talk about X-Men. Some kind of press at least.

I'd say Kingsman, Mazerunner, New Mutants and Deadpool 2 are the ones to hit for Fox this year since they will be released before next years SDCC.

You say New Mutants but they likely have even less to show this year since X-Men started filming before New Mutants.

You say New Mutants but they likely have even less to show this year since X-Men started filming before New Mutants.

I'm basing this on they will not be able to promote next year and it's one of Fox's bigger films, that's all. It's the next X-Men property to be released.

It could be a combo of any of the films I mentioned but if I were them I'd want to push New Mutants. XMDP can still have a presentation next year months before release and everyone knows that property, there's no rush.

Red Sparrow could also be on the lineup.

Last edited:
Fox could easily do something epic this year too, with some creative stuff, no neccesarily a teaser, but other stuff, to start the hype machine. But honestly, I dont see them with that ambition

Sophie and Tye will be there anyway so they'll have red carpet interviews where im sure they can talk about X-Men. Some kind of press at least.

Kinberg will be there too for one of the tv shows.

Fox could easily do something epic this year too, with some creative stuff, no neccesarily a teaser, but other stuff, to start the hype machine. But honestly, I dont see them with that ambition

It's not a long panel and Kingsman is already gonna take up at least a 15 min spot.

I can see a Deadpool push with character posters for say Domino and Cable or Reynolds showing up as Deadpool. But I don't think after Apocalypse they will want anything too early with XMDP outside of a greeting, cast announcement we don't know or title banner. Predator and Maze Runner should have alot of footage to show if they want. They still need to sell other properties.

Last edited:
It's not a long panel and Kingsmen is already gonna take up at least a 15 min spot.

I can see a Deadpool push with character posters for say Domino and Cable, but I don't think after Apocalypse they will want anything too early with XMDP outside of a greeting or title banner.

I know. XMen wouldnt really need 20 min. And you can do a lot on the convention, not just on Hall H. I was meaning in the overall ComicCon. In and out of hall H. They could make noise. But Im afraid they arent treating this movie like that big of an event. Ironic, being the most popular and beloved comics saga. But....

I think that upcoming Gifted series will have a bigger push than all the Xmen films at Comic Con. FOX seems to be putting a lot of effort on that.

I know. XMen wouldnt really need 20 min. And you can do a lot on the convention, not just on Hall H. I was meaning in the overall ComicCon. In and out of hall H. They could make noise. But Im afraid they arent treating this movie like that big of an event. Ironic, being the most popular and beloved comics saga. But....

I'm sure they will have something. It's just so far away that I just wouldn't center everything around it. That's for next year when they can show off. Right now they have other films that need a push with that crowd.

TV will be separate. So Legion and Gifted will have nothing to worry about. X-Men does have a few other properties to share the space with. For all we know, Hugh might have a Greatest Showman plug in and also thank fans for Logan as well. (Also the perfect segue to bring all the casts out led by Ryan)

I forgot about Alita though. That plus Predator and Dark Phoenix gives a solid block for next year for sure.

I'm sure they will have something. It's just so far away that I just wouldn't center everything around it. That's for next year when they can show off. Right now they have other films that need a push with that crowd.

I get what you mean. But to me, we're talking about the ***** X-MEN, you know what I mean? Fox's big superhero team. To me, Fox misses the mark big time on the marketing department. Ive followed Fox's X-Men franchise almost since day 1, and I always get the feeling that they play safe and dont push the franchise/hype as good as they (easily) could.

X3 and Dofp were the only movies where it felt like they treated them like something big/important. But all the other movies felt lower profile, lower passion, and lower interest, basically. I honestly get the vibe that the X-Men as a team isnt as special to Fox, even if they have done 6 team movies and 2 spinoffs to date, but its the vibe I get from the studio and responsible team

I get what you mean. But to me, we're talking about the ***** X-MEN, you know what I mean? Fox's big superhero team. To me, Fox misses the mark big time on the marketing department. Ive followed Fox's X-Men franchise almost since day 1, and I always get the feeling that they play safe and dont push the franchise/hype as good as they (easily) could.

X3 and Dofp were the only movies where it felt like they treated them like something big/important. But all the other movies felt lower profile, lower passion, and lower interest, basically. I honestly get the vibe that the X-Men as a team isnt as special to Fox, even if they have done 6 team movies and 2 spinoffs to date, but its the vibe I get from the studio and responsible team

I agree, it comes down to alot of things sadly. When it comes to marketing Fox pretty much made every other studio jealous with Deadpool though. Not saying in any way it should be exactly like Deadpool, but they focused on the character potential and got creative. They just need to learn how to hit these character's marketability much stronger. Just mentioning a character like Storm gets the SDCC crowd hyped.

Fox has it in them but they are not comic experts and rely more so on the filmmakers and lead name actors to guide the way.

Last edited:
fox could sure use this to create some buzz for dark phoenix that isn't negative on kinberg directing.

it would be nice to get some annoucements like casting for new roles in dark phoenix or what the 2019 films are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"