X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Discussion in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' started by Thread Manager, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Catoti Eternally Tired

That'd be interesting to see.

2. Nintendo Man Thing

I agree that while I loved the Sentinels in DOFP, that was just one take and I can't wait to see another version. This time I don't want them to be so T-1000 like, but also not as bull**** (and made of paper?) as Ultron's army in AAOU.

This film isn't terrible, but some aspects of it are. The opening, in true X-Men franchise tradition, is fantastic. It's almost like the film should have ended there as a short to cap the prequel franchise off. I thought the opening of Apocalypse was also the best part of that movie.

This movie had an ironic similarity to the recent Fantastic Four movie in that the third act comes very abruptly. Unlike that movie, I think the train sequence is good, but not spectacular. I would have much rather had the UN fight and original ending that was shown in concept art.

One part of the film that I think is bad is the scene with Eric and Jean. It should be an intense scene that makes us scared of her, but it's so bad. Eric doesn't get angry enough, the confrontation just kind of ends and then they go play tug of war with the helicopter.
    The choice to have the X-men be in their uniforms when going to confront Jean in her hometown, before she had done anything wrong, is weird too. There is a lot more wrong with the film, but I digress.

I agree Fox should have got the OG cast back 1 more time after DOFP overperformed
    , and while I'm not happy Disney bought Fox, I am fine knowing Kevin Feige will create a more consistent X-men franchise. I will mourn more adult and R rated takes on the mutant world though, like The Wolverine, Logan, Deadpool and New Mutants. I would love if parts of this world could live on in the Deadpool franchise, and he just pops into the MCU here and there. We'll see.

3. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

But Simon Kinberg always wanted his young X-Men vision. And that James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender have always been First Class for him since day 1...

4. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

5. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Simon never disappoints.

psylockolussus likes this.
  6. StarLord < < < < < < <

7. Joined:
    Jan 12, 2007
    Wow kind of surprised they made these definitely going to try and pick up the wolverine figures

8. ironwez20 Registered

it makes sense. Now that the xmen are a marvel property and not with fox they are going to put out merch from the films.

9. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

I'm hoping they do a 2-pack per film. The Wolverine & Mystique one looks like it's for X-men (thank goddess it's Rebecca Mystique, not JLaw), and the Professor X & Magneto is obviously for DOFP.

They need to do a 2-pack for X2, with Nightcrawler. And I'd personally pair him with Storm as their storylines went along nicely. X2 also happened to be Storm's best look.

I'd buy a 3-pack with Famke's Jean, James' Cyclops and Halle's Storm from either X-men or X2.

I don't know who I'd do for TLS. They can do Psylocke & Archangel for Apocalypse.

#15584 EnDz0n3, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  10. Joined:
    Jan 12, 2007
    Apocalypse figure would be pretty neat I’d also would like a Deadpool colossus

11. JamesHOWLETT Registered

They couldn't do JLaw Mystique version if they wanted. I remember the drama when they tried to make a figure based on her for DOFP she refused to allow them to use her likeness. Rebecca doesn't mind any additional residuals she can accumulate.

12. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Blessing in disguise if I ever saw one. JLaw's Mystique look is inferior Romijn's.
    I hope you're kidding. Even the people who didn't have a problem with that movie, hated the look of Isaac's Apocalypse.

13. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Beast/Colossus/Angel/Dark PhoeniX for tls.

14. JamesHOWLETT Registered

I agree but I did like this one save for the hand not holdind a gun.
    4080366-7961632846-dst-m.jpg

15. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

If there was ever a toy that captured JLaw's Mystique that would be it. Between the fake-looking wig and the questionable non-matching RGB blue paint, they nailed the character there. Kudos Diamond Select!

All they really need is a sheer fabric to show us where the prosthetics end and where she was dipped in paint.

The only way it would be more screen accurate if she was blonde though (j/k).

16. Matt.S99 Formally batboy99

That figure was pretty great, regardless if you liked her Mystique or not. It’s a shame that it was never released.
    Very happy that Marvel Legends is doing a line of movie figures. I only hope they release more characters in the future.

17. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

The thing with that figure is...why ONLY Mystique? IIRC Diamond Select only revealed that one figure.

I mean, we all know why, right?
    In a media availability after Toy Fair, the Hasbro people revealed they tried to sneak in a Cyclops for this year, so there's hope yet.

psylockolussus and Matt.S99 like this.
  18. Blade Hoarder Registered

That toy looks more engaged than our girl playing her.

psylockolussus and EnDz0n3 like this.
  19. marvintabacon Registered

20. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

It’s a shame how much worse the look they came up with for J Law was. And I can’t imagine the look for the Isaac version of Apocalypse being popular. What a pathetic attempt at recreating an imposing, important X-Men villain.

21. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Just terrible eXecution.

However, I thought the Horsemen (Ancient/80s) looked cool.

Iceman likes this.
  22. Weather Witch Registered

I think the make-up being bad wasn't the biggest problem. The horrible close-ups, lighting, and color grading was what really killed it. It would've been easy to make the character look MUCH better with this exact make-up. He also looked extra small thanks to how some of the shots were framed.

I agree with Psylockolussus that the Horsemen looked nice though.

23. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

If, separately, the make-up wasn't bad enough, and the sheer body suit wasn't bad enough, the clashing of the two medium on an actress that wanted the least amount of time on the make-up chair* because she signed on to the franchise before her asking price sky rocketed was what did the character in. It certainly didn't help that the director was probably difficult to work with and was giving in to the big name stars of the film at the same time.

*because she was having allergic reactions to the chemicals?

psylockolussus and Iceman like this.
  24. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah, for all those reasons combined we get the worst of J Law, which is unfortunate given how good she can be in other films.

25. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Glass half full? The franchise ending on a whimper made saying good bye to this group of films (I at one-time completely adored) far, far easier. But it really is a shame.

I won't say fanboying over this franchise in the early 2000s was a waste of time. It wasn't. But I'm ready for a more faithful adaptation of my favourite characters.