X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Discussion in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' started by Thread Manager, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Matt.S99 Formally batboy99

As a huge fan of the franchise (it’s honestly my favorite next to Burtons Batman), I have to agree.
    It’s time for a fresh take.

2. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

I still remember before Days of Future Past came out my brother saying that it's time for the X-men to join up in the MCU and I was still adamantly against it.

I was never that enamoured with DOFP (minority opinion), after finally watching it, but later on still fanboying over X-men: Apocalypse on account of I got a set tour of the studio in Montreal. I also watched a lot of the Deadpool filming locally and I even had the honour of tweeting to the whole world that I saw Colossus on a random bridge set when no one knew Piotr was in the movie. I also met the Domino actress for Part 2 and had my pic taken with her.

Even with all that I, along with others, were accused of being Fox-men haturs simply because we had no faith in Simon Kinberg helming Dark Phoenix and made sure the rest of the world knew our opinions.

It's a shame it had to come to that but loving a franchise means knowing (and fighting for) what's best for it instead of digging your head in the sand and just blindly accepting every decision the studio throws at you.

IMHO the franchise never reached the highs of X2 days (not DOFP, not Deadpool, not Logan) and it's a wonder I stuck with it that long.

#15602 EnDz0n3, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    psylockolussus likes this.
  3. SumT Registered

I have many similar feelings/experience with this franchise.

Tho Id go ever further, saying I never was that in love with Dofp AND X2 lol.
    To me X2 was a good movie, indeed, but I always felt it was so heavily focused on Logan and characters like Rogue and Cyclops were underused and not on par with their comics counterparts and all their potential (did everyone forget how most fans werent pleased with Rogue and Cyclops in the first trilogy? hell, even Storm had a lot of "haters". so basically Bryan failed to those three characters, even in Dofp (Storm poor role and Rogue directly cut from the movie, with her filmed scenes been the damsel in distress again!)

X3 was a huge mess and a heavy dissapointment to me. FC brought the excitement back, even if the x-men felt a bit underused again, but the new start had promise, but then.. once again the sequel destroyed all that potential, with Banshee killed, Havok in mostly a cameo role and Beast still obsessed with Mystique....
    The rest of the franchise is known by all of us at this point.

So yeah, the franchise never reached its full potential since X2, even if the studio, Bryan and Kinberg kept adding more and more x-men to the movies........ to keep getting a mediocre/bad treatment.

So a big and sad "Thank u next"

Xeno and EnDz0n3 like this.
  4. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

I agree with most of that except for "FC brought the excitement back." :p It might be the best X-men movie (I personally don't know anyone of that opinion in real life) for some people who never fell in love with the world Bryan created on screen but excitement isn't the word I would describe First Class. Just looking at its low box office tally. They're definitely in the minority.

I would say what "brought the excitement back" was Days of Future Past, hearing the OT cast would reunite with their FC counterparts. Specifically the pre-production phase of DOFP up to and including the first weekend of that movie when it saw a 90+% Rottentomatoes score.

It really was a shame that even with all that excitement, even with that cast, even with those rave reviews, even with that stellar release date, a best reviewed X-men movie could only muster up $90 opening weekend.

#15604 EnDz0n3, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Zarex likes this.
  5. Zarex Registered

I liked FC, but at the same time that the X-Men franchise was doing a relatively low cost prequel, Feige and company were building toward the Avengers within the MCU. There was a tremendous discrepancy in my excitement level regarding what was going on in the two franchises.

And while it was nice to see the old gang back together with DOFP, the problems that would continue to plague the Kinberg-verse were all there - a continuity killing decade time jump, awful costumes, popular characters relegated to mute cannon fodder, an inexplicable Magneto heel turn, and Mystique elevated to the level of Uber Mutant.

I would say the franchise was doomed once Fox decided to go backward instead of moving forward with X4 under a new creative team.

EnDz0n3 likes this.
  6. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Not enough ot cast in the marketing. I imagine if the First Class cast wasn't in the movie and we got Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Rogue got a bigger role and they included new draws for the franchise (that isn't Jennifer Lawrence), it could have performed bigger.

I also think three spin offs after X3, didn't help. There was no big build up to Days of Future Past aside from The Wolverine's mid credit scene.

7. samsnee Ok

8. Mysteryman Registered

9. BaelaTargaryen Registered

Probably this

Mysteryman likes this.
  10. samsnee Ok

Sorry should have put a /sarcasm after my post

11. Blade Hoarder Registered

The real tragedy is Kinberg will feel none of the effects of this because of how incestuous Hollywood is.

henzINNIT and SumT like this.
  12. Phoenix_Flare Registered

I’m sorry can someone please if you have information what was part two of this movie supposed to be about? I guess I am wondering because if Jean flew into space to stop the invasion and from the original ending We see her in space then what would the second movie be about?

13. Blade Hoarder Registered

Her essence and body gets transfered into westoros in the pregnant belly of Catelyn Tully Stark.

14. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Didn't know where to post this. Who asked for this?

:loco:

15. StarLord < < < < < < <

''We can't get Bryan Singer in for a Q&A because he's a creep and nobody cares about the movie that Simon actually directed because it's a pile of dung.''

It's IGN too, which is icing on the cake.

16. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Based on the commentary of the blu ray you can tell Ottman was more involved in that movie's final form than absentee Singer and hack Kinberg.

StarLord and Matt.S99 like this.
  17. Blade Hoarder Registered

Word is that Simon directed a decent chunk of DFP and Apocalypse because Singer would turn up missing.

18. Matt.S99 Formally batboy99

A lot of actors/directors are doing these live watch party Q&A things, but it is definitely a little odd to have Kinberg instead of Singer, but I guess it’s understandable. Must feel like a bit of a slap in the face though for him that they’re doing it for DOFP and not DP

19. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

LOL I can tell you that's not true. The "Simon directed a decent chunk" part.

#15619 EnDz0n3, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  20. StarLord < < < < < < <

Fox probably had someone from catering direct while Singer went AWOL.

21. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

I think it's more to do with DOFP's anniversary (it came out Memorial Day weekend) than getting a film for Kinberg to do live commentary on. It's just unfortunate there was no one else they asked.

I know John. They didn't ask him...

22. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I believe Singer went missing a few times on Apocalypse but never heard anything about him doing it for DOFP.

23. Matt.S99 Formally batboy99

Ah, okay. That makes sense, then.

Yeah, John would have been a great person to have do this Q&A. I feel like it would be...I don’t know... less BS talk, if that makes sense.

EnDz0n3 likes this.
  24. Matt.S99 Formally batboy99

Ha, Kinberg answered two of my questions. The one regarding Emma Frost and the one near the end of the Q&A asking about what the story would have been had they continued with the original cast.

Legion likes this.