X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' started by Thread Manager, Aug 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marvelrobbins Registered

edit

#951 marvelrobbins, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  2. Frankeh Registered

And yet youre allowed to moan about MCU and Deadpool all the time?

3. Weather Witch Registered

:woot:
    Oh, sure. And of course there is a chance that it won't be done at all.
    Not what I said. I meant marketing wise. No hinting at stuff via social media and releasing purple behind the scenes pictures. Just blow us away with a good first trailer and a nice poster and then kick it into the next gear. That's the way to turn it around. Then again if they do that and people don't like what they see, well... :woot:
    That it does need.

4. magneto23 Registered

If Chastain isn't playing Lilandra, then I don't even know. Very strange considering they are presumably doing the cosmic side of the Dark Phoenix story. Don't get why they would opt to not feature Lilandra if they are indeed using Shi'Ar empire. That would be a pretty big missed opportunity.

5. I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

The post was deleted no? She was probably having some fun with the whole "scoops" game.

6. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

She is playing Gladiatress!

7. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

A slow burn marketing wouldn't work for this.

They need more than a good trailer and a good poster to convince people to watch this. Dofp felt like an event all star film. Logan is Hugh's final Wolverine film. While this... I suspect will be seen as another X-Men prequel flick which doesn't appeal to the masses at all. And with New Mutants and Deadpool 2 coming out in the same year, I don't see why more people would suddenly watch another X-Men film. Dofp/Deadpool 1 didn't convince the masses to go check Apocalypse based from the box office numbers.

8. X-Maniac High Evolutionary

No it isn't. Stop trying to downplay it. Just be honest. Less spin-doctoring please. You're being really irritating.

It's been stated clear as day that Mystique was LEADER. Face the facts. Stop lying.

Kinberg talks of Mystique "becoming the leader." He doesn't say she was 'leading them for a brief period.'

She was there at the end, in the Danger Room, commanding the team and barking orders.

SHE WAS THE LEADER - and maybe she still is. How are they gonna explain her suddenly stepping out of the Danger Room? Who will be the one barking orders instead? Hopefully it's Cyclops leading the team but with this messed-up franchise, you never know.

So what? There were lots of reasons that film was critically well-received. Jackman himself is not responsible for its success. A big chunk of its success goes to Patrick Stewart and Dafne Keen and the theme of family. Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine has always been a bit empty for my liking, a bit like J-Law's portrayal of Mystique: You get no real insight into how they feel.

But for all that film's critical praise, its commercial success within this franchise was really only middle-of-the-road. It got 4th position for opening weekend and for domestic gross (5th if inflation-adjusted). Beaten worldwide by DoFP and Deadpool. Among all the Marvel Comics adaptations, beaten by Doctor Strange even though Wolverine and Jackman are far more established. Not exactly a stratospheric success, and the finale to a very patchy trilogy of Wolverine movies.

But I do think Mangold understood Wolverine or, at least, grasped how to get the best out of the Jackman version of Wolverine. When Mangold did try to be comicbooky (Viper and Silver Samurai in the previous movie) it strained at the movie's believability somewhat. So he wisely steered away from that too much this time or tried harder to give 'realness' to the interpretation (his version of Caliban was great). He also took something from Deadpool (an R rating, and the 'meta' thing with the comics which is the sort of thing you'd find in Deadpool albeit done far more mockingly).

The question now is whether Dark Phoenix will get it right.

9. X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Well, there's NOTHING else to discuss, is there? What do you want us all to do, abandon the forum and just forget this movie?

10. kasjan Registered

Turner is already adult Jean in this movie.
    24 years old in 1991.
    Also why would we move to the future in this movie?

If not Lilandra then Deatbird.

We already had Emma Frost, more like Selene, because definitely not Cassandra Nova, but who knows...

11. X-Maniac High Evolutionary

It could be a recast Emma Frost.

Or a reimagined Cassandra Nova (surely not Xavier having another sister?).

I can't imagine Kinberg writing Deathbird into this. Another winged character just after we had Angel?

12. x-er Registered

It might be grounded like the Wolverine & The XMen cartoon, where Frost was key. Just wondering what the Essex corp. is all about.

I liked Chastain in Interstellar and The Help. She should do good. But I hope she's not wasted like Oscar Isaac was : ( Great guy to ask to come back every now and again.

13. Leo Zelinsky Mutie

X-FORCE = Deadpool?

14. Erik Lensherr Registered

It hasn't been deleted.

15. Lip Registered

Hahahaha <3

Best. Response. To that.

16. Lip Registered

I hated that Chastain posted that comment. Now I'm curious :p

17. Zant Registered

She is playing Abigail Brand of S.W.O.R.D......Obviously.

18. Lip Registered

Or Madelyne Pryor coming from the future after plastic surgeries

19. Erik Lensherr Registered

She is the Dark Phoenix! 100%

20. x-er Registered

whatever it is i hope she makes us hate her character's guts.

that's something lawrence should be doing with this franchise.

edit

21. Lip Registered

I don't think Deathbird makes sense. Not over Lilandra. And I don't think they're recasting Emma either. Unless they're using another character, like Selene for instance, to take over Emma's role in the story.

I'm inclined to believe she's playing Lilandra after all and was just joking or trolling. Or she will be playing a more "humanoid" version of the Phoenix Force.

22. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Death bird would only make sense bcos she's a Shiarian. But really Lilandra or D'Ken would be more appropriate for this while Deathbird should only play as a supporting character. Maybe Kinberg saw a fan art of Chastain as Death bird.

23. marvelrobbins Registered

edit

#973 marvelrobbins, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  24. Lip Registered

If they were making a movie about the Sh'iar, yeah it would make sense. But that's not the case.

lol

25. I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

:lmao:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.