Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
what I want to see in phase 5, 6 and 7. With the Silver Surfer, the Fantastic Four and the X-Men joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe once and for all!
Phase 7? Let's see if they will be able to pull off Infinity War and the rest of Phase 3 first, shall we? :woot:

I'm expecting big things from Phase 19 myself. :woot:

Phase 7? Let's see if they will be able to pull off Infinity War and the rest of Phase 3 first, shall we? :woot:

the idea of so many x related films as some seem to think feige would produce isn't worn out by fact apart from avengers films the characters only get 3 films.

iron man,captain america,and thor only got 3 films.

and if there was avengers vs x-men film people would want to see x-men as villains?because that is exctly what would happen.

As if after 17 films - all with a fresh rating, they would suddenly crumble. mind you, all MCU films will outgross Logan this year. That already guarantees the success of Avengers 4 as the lead characters of the 3 2017 MCU films will Appear in Infinity War. Which you could say the same thing to New Mutants and Dark Phoenix, right?

Yes there were some good likenesses there for many characters. When it comes to height it doesn't really bother me. Wolverine is a bit of an exception though as he is specifically known for that trait, and I don't mind if they go with someone say 5'9 or so rather than 5'3, going outright tall is a bit silly. All that said, Hugh was of course great.

A 5'8 or 5'9 actress for Rogue and Storm would be fine. And I hope they would cast late 20s to early 30s actors for the X-Men with few exceptions, I guess Beast should be older like mid or early 40s while Jubilee, Armor, Sprite, Pixie and Iceman should be younger than the rest.

If any deal comes out of this my guess it will be a Sony type deal where Marvel has access to the major player X-Men characters but Fox can still produce their R rated films like New Mutants, Logan and Deadpool in a separate universe. I could see Marvel wanting Wolverine, Storm, Magneto, Mystique, Beast, Jean, Scott, Iceman, Angel, Kitty and Rogue being part of their line up but rebooted.

The difference with Sony is Disney doesn't own Sony. Disney buys Fox and those Fox employees simply would work under Disney by then.

And I don't see what benefit Marvel would get by letting Foxverse alive. It benefits them more to start from scratch and have those characters appear in their precious mcu. First Class X-Men, Logan, and probably New Mutants aren't even as successful as Gotg world wide - they also carry a lot of baggage from the past. While a Deadpool trilogy would have been completed by the time Fox is bought by another studio.

Last edited:
A 5'8 or 5'9 actress for Rogue and Storm would be fine. And I hope they would cast late 20s to early 30s actors for the X-Men with few exceptions, I guess Beast should be older like mid or early 40s while Jubilee, Armor, Sprite, Pixie and Iceman should be younger than the rest.

If they were doing an all out recast (or when they come to do that), those would be fine with me.

I don't know about that but who knows if Fox is history by then.

I don't think they will be history. They will either be as they are now or they might be bought by another company like Disney but still carry on with the Fox name. Will be interesting to see what happens anyway.

If any deal comes out of this my guess it will be a Sony type deal where Marvel has access to the major player X-Men characters but Fox can still produce their R rated films like New Mutants, Logan and Deadpool in a separate universe. I could see Marvel wanting Wolverine, Storm, Magneto, Mystique, Beast, Jean, Scott, Iceman, Angel, Kitty and Rogue being part of their line up but rebooted.

total denial.no it won't be fox would sell all their film and tv assets to disney while fox news,fox sports,and fox network continue to operate.

there will be no seperate universe.that is complete fantasy land just like the 37% of people who think trump is doing a good job as president.

sony still operates as studio doing animated spider-man film and doing rothman's idiotic idea of doing shared universe of spider-man characers but without spider-man.

if sale happens everything is being rebooted so x-men universe becomes part of mcu.

and it's clear except for tiny minority that is what most want as they seem to hate all x-men related films except for maybe deadpool.this isn't me putting words in anyone mouth this is by most posts celebrating end of x-men cinematic universe most likely and disney doing x-men as part of mcu.

I don't think they will be history. They will either be as they are now or they might be bought by another company like Disney but still carry on with the Fox name. Will be interesting to see what happens anyway.

I was referring to Fox's Marvel verse. But phase 19? I think MCU would have been rebooted before we get to phase 11.

Last edited:
I was referring to Fox's Marvel verse. But phase 19? I think MCU would have been rebooted before we get to phase 11.

Hahah I was joking about Phase 19 lol. Anything could happen by then.

Hahah I was joking about Phase 19 lol. Anything could happen by then.

I just can't see them dragging out MCU for 19 phases. I think they would want at least end it in a high note and and not have the lead actors get recast except for the Hulk of course.

I just can't see them dragging out MCU for 19 phases. I think they would want at least end it in a high note and and not have the lead actors get recast except for the Hulk of course.

The amount of money it's making I can see them wanting to make it a perennial thing and I'm sure they're planning out ways how it might be possible when the current storylines and actors/characters run their course.

like disney will stop puting out mass cash fows.apart from animated films disney most makes

live action films of animated films
pixar films
marvel films
lucasfilm

x-men and ff will just add to them espeically if phase one actors start bowing out after avengers 4.

Do you have the ingredients to this formula? Not everyone looks for the same thing in films or has similar aesthetic criteria for what makes a film successful. Opinions and the like.

What deep thoughts were you pondering upon leaving the theater for First Class or Deadpool as opposed to Winter Soldier or Civil War? Can we get no insight from humor or laughter? Aside from the various elements of experience one thinks about when evaluating a films success or failure, I really don't see a difference between the two or judge overall success by intellectual concepts when measured against the emotional experience..

What's the crime in leaving a theater feeling joyous after laughing for 2 hours, a la Ragnarok? What issues were you hoping Ragnarok explored or perhaps parallels it made with our current world predicaments to give you a sense of purpose after leaving the theater? Or was it just a matter of 'feeling stakes' with serious CB drama, which is an emotional subjective desire like wanting to laugh or wanting the film to give you that response. I don't see Ragnarok as a hollow, empty vessel like you apparently do ,in fact I think it's every bit as intelligent in it's own humorous way as any usual X-Men films, which have dealt with the persecution complex from the start. At least you weren't distracted and were able to find your car. I appreciated the 2 hours of laughter myself.

Thor: Ragnarok is a perfectly adequate entertainment, but I wish it had the emotional depth of, say, Taika Waititi's previous movie, Hunt for Wilderpeople. That movie was also 2 hours of laughter, in fact I laughed more in it than in Thor. Be that as it may, the relationship between Ricky Baker and Sam Neill's gruff anti-social grieving widower was filled with genuine nuance and humanity that made their run from authority and society seem far more grandiose and inspiring than it possibly could be when viewed from the perspective of local news. It made that whole film a heartwarming experience as well as hilarious.

Thor to me was nothing but some good laughs at its best. And I could tell the movie Taika Waititi wanted to make was on Sakaar. That was his movie. Hence why the second act was unusually long (about an hour). The stuff on Asgard to me was completely perfunctory and, yes, felt more like designs made by the usual Marvel Studios committee. There is a rambling first act filled with fan service and pace-killing cameos (Doctor Strange), there is an obligatory villain that even when played by the great Cate Blanchett is still treated as a one-note ingredient, as you say, instead of an actual character. It's clear Waititi wanted to just have the grandmaster be the villain, and I would've loved that because Jeff was hilarious in it and felt more like a character (even as a comical one) than Hela.

But consequently, the third act goes the same way as most third acts of post-2012 MCU movies--where a bunch of disparate personalities team up, the "band" is formed, and they confront the bad guy (Waititi even comments on the formulae of it by having good surfer bro Thor call this group, "The Revengers"). Thus even the plight of Asgardians [blackout]losing their homeworld[/blackout] is treated as not a big deal and something to chuckle about as they fly through the cosmos. It all has an air of a missed opportunity. What would I liked to have seen them do with that? [Blackout]How about make Thor actually grapple with the fact that his father was once a genocidal warlord and that his father hid his sister from him. None of these things were dealt with in any way to make the Thor/Hela dynamic interesting. Nor was Thor's relationship with Odin given any weight since Odin had the lamest of "write him out quick" first act deaths. Further, what does it mean to Thor to be an actual immigrant? What does it mean to lose your homeland? None of that is conveyed. And in a year of Donald Trump's racism, yes, talking about the immigrant experience is very worthwhile, and Logan did more with it as an unspoken subplot than the movie that knowingly plays "Immigrant Song" twice![/blackout]

So I view Thor as a perfectly pleasant film, enjoyed the heck out of it. And if it could have just been Waititi's comedy on Sakaar, I think I could have loved it. But the Marvel formula's need to structure it around Hela and a team-up while building up to IW left me with a first and third act that were a lot of wasted potential. As per comparing it to First Class, I actually saw Charles and Erik go on a journey, and felt the sense of betrayal Charles did when Erik left him paralyzed on the beach, as well as Erik coming to terms with the death of his mother and his political motivations. It's not exactly deep stuff, but when packaged with the comedy of that movie (because Matthew Vaughn movies are very funny) it was exhilarating and emotionally engaging. So yes, I thought about it after leaving the theater. Whereas Ragnarok only comes up in my mind when people talk about it on here.

Last edited:
NEvermind, if a Disney film could utilize the actual X-Men. Bring me another Xavier/Erik/Raven film because First ClaSs is the greatest film. Ever. Yawn! Never mind, that the current overseer of the X-Men movies is Simon Kinberg. So much better than Feige.

You keep criticizing Mcu's formula but how about you look at Fox's formula which is inconsistency, continuity errors, characters that over lap and the actual X-Men staples being wasted. You aren't getting First Class quality in Dark Phoenix. While from the looks of it, Fox has turned the New Mutants into something else for the sake of "doing something different" which IMO is a disservice to the source material.

I think I'd take over MCU's adequate entertainment over Fox's films that service a handful of charactes after seventeen years and a mess of continuity that certain things and characters don't make sense anymore.

Last edited:
It's funny that you never understand anyone elses sarcasm but make a post like the one above... truely fascinating.

The amount of money it's making I can see them wanting to make it a perennial thing and I'm sure they're planning out ways how it might be possible when the current storylines and actors/characters run their course.

Their movies are just getting bigger and bigger especially at the box office. Wish I could say the same thing to the X-Men. Dark Phoenix would be lucky to outgross Apocalypse next year, in North America and worldwide.

You genuinely think if Disney got a hold of the X-Verse they wouldn't be chomping at the bit to adapt AvX? That is like guaranteed money in the bank.

X-Men finally appearing in a film that could gross over a billion. :hmr:

But consequently, the third act goes the same way as most third acts of post-2012 MCU movies--where a bunch of disparate personalities team up, the "band" is formed, and they confront the bad guy (Waititi even comments on the formulae of it by having good surfer bro Thor call this group, "The Revengers"). Thus even the plight of Asgardians [blackout]losing their homeworld[/blackout] is treated as not a big deal and something to chuckle about as they fly through the cosmos. It all has an air of a missed opportunity. What would I liked to have seen them do with that? [Blackout]How about make Thor actually grapple with the fact that his father was once a genocidal warlord and that his father hid his sister from him. None of these things were dealt with in any way to make the Thor/Hela dynamic interesting. Nor was Thor's relationship with Odin given any weight since Odin had the lamest of "write him out quick" first act deaths. Further, what does it mean to Thor to be an actual immigrant? What does it mean to lose your homeland? None of that is conveyed. And in a year of Donald Trump's racism, yes, talking about the immigrant experience is very worthwhile, and Logan did more with it as an unspoken subplot than the movie that knowingly plays "Immigrant Song" twice![/blackout]

[BLACKOUT]I agree with most of the things you say, but I'm a little hesitant to use Thor of all character to tell the story of immigration as Trump targets people of colour. But here I am as a huge X-men fan, so...[/BLACKOUT]

If the films continue as they are he'll just be cruising watching the $ roll in. ;)

Since he is the one holding this universe together its probably much harder then just watching the money come in ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"