Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
basically I really think she's being honest in the sense that she feels the movie is accurate (some changes here and there included). I dont see her wanting to please Fox or Kinberg. Thats what my gut tells me. They dont seem to be friends (unlike Mcavoy and Sophie), so she isnt as naive/new to try to please Kinberg with her words. But again, thats my take

I understand, but I don't really get that vibe at all.

Pretty sure Shipp and Turner are really good friends. But my only evidence is their instagrams lol.

I meant Alexandra and Kinberg. She doesnt have to be nice with her friend or play it cool. She wont talk bad about him, but she wouldnt need to praise his movie if she isnt as happy with it, I would guess. She still plays it cool, dont get me wrong, but her words sound promising, and not made up

It could be as simple as a plot device, building on what you guys are saying, it could be that the skrulls and shiar are fighting and land on earth. The x-men fight the skrulls as the immediate threat with Xavier working with Lilandra and then when the Phoenix defeats the skrulls Lilandra declares death to the Phoenix which could set up the next film.

It would introduce the skrulls to the Fox universe and for any potential future villains both for the x-men and ff as well as be a means to show how Jean succumbs to the power she needs to use to defeat them.

It could have also been them filming the after credits scene where the skrulls want to destroy the x-men for the intergalactic shenanigans over the film.

Or to try a flip: Phoenix destroys the Skrulls' entire fleet outside of Earth, instead of a random planet in another galaxy. Then the Skrulls who are left team with the Shi'Ar because Jean Grey is too big a threat for either to leave alive. In theory.

Still don't love the idea of just repeating a great scene from DOFP to mediocre effect. Which is something Apocalypse made the mistake of quite a bit.

"What I will say is, as a fan of X-Men, you are going to be very happy — because I’m a huge fan of X-Men and so is our director, Simon [Kinberg], who’s also writing and executive producing it. He is not letting anything go. It’s very accurate to the comics and he really gives the fans what they’ve been asking for, in my opinion. All I can say is that you’re really going to like it."

http://deadline.com/2017/10/alexand...-horror-comedy-x-men-dark-phoenix-1202190117/

Interesting choice of words “now that Simon has control” seems like a bit of shade towards Singer haha.

That's just good studio PR spin talking. But on the startling off-chance what she is saying is accurate, wouldn't that be ironic? We all have been shading and disparaging Simon Kinberg, and then he makes the most fanboy-friendly X-Men movie ever.

Yeah... that AIN'T HAPPENING! But if it did, the cognitive dissonance around here would be amazing.

Do we know who is doing the editing and vfx in this?

as fan of films except maybe last stand and origins:woot: i take this as pr.justice league cast is same.noone is going to trash film before release.in 2006 last stand cast said same but changed their tones a few years later.

New?

yzMA6GC.png

h6pmVUj.png

Bryan Singer is producing Dark Phoenix too? I thought for sure he was gone.

Jesus Christ, man, go do something else!

Just because his name is there, it doesn't mean he did anything.

Yeah. I mean, both Kinberg AND Singer are executive producers on Legion, for example, but you know it's Noah Hawley doing the lifting. It's just a title. Same way Zack Snyder's name was on Wonder Woman.

If I was excited to see Eric and Charles again, I'd be super happy to see Singer's name in it. That's not the case here. And producing movies and TV shows are two different things. Also, Deadpool and Logan turned out to be great and both have the approach I want to see.

Yeah. I mean, both Kinberg AND Singer are executive producers on Legion, for example, but you know it's Noah Hawley doing the lifting. It's just a title. Same way Zack Snyder's name was on Wonder Woman.

No Zack Snyder actually did quite a bit making the outline of th script.

Famke Janssen blames sexism for producers' decision to drop her from X-Men franchise

'I didn’t give up, they gave up on me. There’s a big difference,

The Dutch-born former model, who went on to star in TV's the Blacklist, is blaming sexism and ageism for being cast aside.

'It’s like what happens in life. You get, well not to me thankfully. But people, just like men trade women in for a younger model version. It’s like that,' she said.

Janssen previously has spoken about how her male co-stars Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan have been brought back for cameos alongside the younger versions of Magneto and Professor X.

But women, she asserted, aren't offered the same opportunity, something she puts down to attitudes towards older actresses.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...Janssen-52-blames-sexism-loss-X-Men-role.html

singer is almost certinly a producer in name only like tim burton was on
batman forever and chris nolan was on bvs and now justice league

god forbid the guy who directed 3 of best x-men films X-men x2 and dofp be invovled and produced first class be involved here.

i guess every dc film with zach snyder invovled you also condem:whatever:

also directed well received pilot episode of the gifted.

i would have more confidence in dark phoenix than i do if he was more involved and kinberg wasn't left to his own devices.

Famke Janssen blames sexism for producers' decision to drop her from X-Men franchise

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...Janssen-52-blames-sexism-loss-X-Men-role.html

To be fair she got a cameo in DOFP that wasn't that much smaller than McKellen's part. But on the whole she is right. They recast with younger actors, at least in part, to keep it "sexier' to teenage audiences. And they gave Stewart and McKellen a lot more of a swan song than any of the other non-Jackman supporting parts. Albeit, Cyclops, Beast, and all the rest still got recast too.

To be fair she got a cameo in DOFP that wasn't that much smaller than McKellen's part. But on the whole she is right. They recast with younger actors, at least in part, to keep it "sexier' to teenage audiences. And they gave Stewart and McKellen a lot more of a swan song than any of the other non-Jackman supporting parts. Albeit, Cyclops, Beast, and all the rest still got recast too.

well she isn't wrong.look i knew after seeing dofp in 2014 fox was pushing original cast save jackman out for younger cast.we were just lucky to get stewart in jackman's swan song.it's agism not sexism.

i still prefer original cast even if for now i will contunie to support films.

but inless the original cast minus jackman is used for alternate versions of characters on legion or the gifted they are done.i never said i liked it.but i accept it.

even wolverine eventully will get recast.

Alexandra Shipp sounds like she actually likes working with Simon Kinberg. I don't think this will be the trainwreck everyone expects.

She was in DoFP AND The Wolverine. I adore her but she's being silly...

Except it's true. Hollywood is doing better now than they have in the past (in large part due to the Young Justice controversy) but to pretend like older women don't have a problem with being cast is to be blind to the fact that a ton of casting choices are made based on the producers wanting to cast somebody who they want to sleep with. Somebody like Viola Davis or Jennifer Beals can maintain some sort of a fanbase but women frequently find themselves washed up more than men do.

Alexandra Shipp sounds like she actually likes working with Simon Kinberg. I don't think this will be the trainwreck everyone expects.

It should go without saying but an actor liking their director is never a guarantee of the quality of a film.

Halle Berry and Bryan Singer famously clashed on the set of X2.

Halle Berry was very complimentary to Brett Ratner during X3 days. I assume the others were as well (for some reason it was just hers that I remember).

The First Class cast seemed to be filming a movie in Montreal in 2015 in between their breaks from their paint ball fight. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
No Zack Snyder actually did quite a bit making the outline of th script.

True, and loathe as I'm sure many a Snyder hater want to admit it, he does still deserve credit for casting Gal Gadot, but what I was getting at is that he wasn't the same level of involvement, seems like, compared to one of his own films. But then, he wasn't the director, so that could be why.

While Shipp's comments don't necessarily mean anything in terms of quality, it sounds like Storm is potentially getting a character arc and some development this time around. She used the word "journey", which is actorspeak for "character arc".

I do think it's fairly likely that this will be the most comic book accurate and "fanboy" X-Men movie yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"