X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 5

Discussion in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' started by Thread Manager, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewGilkison Registered

I don't think a Marvel Studios X-Men movie would be all that different in tone from what we've gotten from the FOX movies. With the exception of Deadpool & Logan all the movies have been PG-13. All the movies have had their fair share of summer blockbuster one-liners and comedy moments. How is the tone of X-Men Apocalypse really that different from the tone of Captain America Civil War, for instance?

2. psylockolussus Disco Mutant

Touchstone Pictures will be releasing Glass in a few months, in case you didn't know. And Disney is the one studio that releases fewer films compare to the other major studios annually. So that should answer your question about Touchstone.

And why is it so terrible for movie fans? Lol. 20th Century Fox had a lot of stinkers in the past. Its the studio that gave us franchises like Ice Age and Alvin & the Chipmunks that had people saying "wow they are still making those?". While cbm fans have cursed Fox for their adaptations of Fantastic Four, Dragonball and even the X-Men. While whether you love it or hate it, Disney acquiring Marvel and Star Wars only made those properties a lot of richer and popular. I am sure other than the X-Men, there are the other franchise s that they could rejuvenate. Unlike in Fox, they'd unexpectedly underperform.

Plus ith the merger, it won't kill good writers and directors, if they can't get a job in the new Fox. Then that's what the other major and indie studios are for, right. Hollywood is bigger than Fox.

#27 psylockolussus, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  3. Darepool Registered

The Fox films have been 'samey' for a decade with their obvious and familiar heavy-handed themes and usual cast of characters dominating at the expense of other legacy characters. They've been making films since 2000, yet much of the moral high ground from the Fox crowd comes from what they've done the past couple of years with the R-rated stuff (ignoring some of the horrible films they've made). It's as if those films are a part of some rich tradition or something. Or something..

The high ground is just on the first floor lol.

I love X2, Logan and DP, but they got lucky in some instances and have made plenty of mistakes.

As for what's to come we don't know. Well, other then Marvel will turn the mutants into a sitcom...

#28 Darepool, Nov 10, 2017
  4. Drexelhand Registered

Yes, and the fact that those aren't included are ways of Disney trying to show that they aren't violating antitrust laws. Those are the only ways this deal COULD pass through. That and the fact that Perlmutter is buddy buddy with the President. Disney is 20%, Fox is 15 %. That would amount to 35%, as in above a third. A THIRD IS ALL THAT IS NEEDED. Liberal Party of Canada wins majority with a third of the votes. Hell, look at previous US elections that have been swung. Look at the BMO-RBC merger that was blocked because it would've given RBC a third, that's 1/3 for you, 33.3333repeat.

Oh yeah, and Fox approached Disney? Look at the stock market, there's your answer to that.

Oh you've worked in the entertainment business now have you? Please tell me all about how that makes you a financial and legal expert. Now, please, go over and read up about antitrust laws and monopolies. They're available publicly on government websites. You don't need to go to a board game.

Do you remember when I proceeded to systematically prove my claim right and then you went all hush about the subject?

So I say again, educate yourself.

"You want to learn how to rhyme you better learn how to add, it's mathematics." - Yasiin "Mighty Mos Def" Bey

#29 Drexelhand, Nov 10, 2017
  5. DACrowe Registered

Psst... that's because Universal/Blumhouse made a sequel to their ancient Unbreakable movie on the sly and then that turned out to be a big hit, so they came aboard. Prior to that, they were finishing out Spielberg's contract at Disney (he's since gone to Universal and, heh, Fox) and a few dubious animated films and a bad attempt at an Oscar bait film with The Light Between Oceans. In other words, they don't make many movies anymore, because (ahem) adult fare and medium budget films are not a priority for Disney anymore. You're right, they make fewer films, because they have doubled down on IP, franchises, brands, and remakes. If it ain't being produced by Pixar or WDAS, it's likely something rooted in nostalgia.

So them in control of Fox's resources (or shuttering them) is not exactly thrilling.

You do realize movies are more than franchises, right?

In just the last few years, 20th Century Fox has produced: Hidden Figures, The Revenant, The Martian, and Gone Girl. On the franchise side, they have touched things Disney will not. Again Deadpool and Logan, but also the Planet of the Apes franchise which has gotten downright lyrical with the last two Matt Reeves entries, as well as Kingsman. Of those I see Disney green lighting maybe Hidden Figures.

But then when you factor in Fox Searchlight (which fanboys rarely do), we also had: Battle of the Sexes, Patti Cake$, My Cousin Rachel, A Bigger Splash, Jackie, Brooklyn, Mistress America, The Grand Budapest Hotel, and freaking Birdman pretty recently. They also have coming out later this year Martin McDonagh's Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water, both of which are supposed to be fantastic. Disney would produce zero of those movies.

So yes, if you care about more than comic books, this would be a huge loss.

#30 DACrowe, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  6. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

ATTENTION EVERYONE

This is the X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation thread.

This thread is for discussing the movie X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

If you want to discuss sexual assaults across America and the world....go to this thread - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535073

7. Erik Lensherr Registered

8. StarLord < < < < < < <

FOX should really now be starting to move ''outside the box'' as it were.

Deadpool, Logan and The New Mutants, and hopefully Gambit, should hopefully pave the way where directors are making unique superhero movies but can still connect with audiences.

This ''main'' series feels like it's totally run it's course and I'd be happy not to see any of these characters for a few years.

#33 StarLord, Nov 11, 2017
  9. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Whatever happens deal-wise I'm still looking forward to seeing how all the currently announced films turn out.

10. Weather Witch Registered

It's not just about the R-rating, though it should be noted that The Wolverine also had a different cut of the movie, plus we have several more upcoming with Deadpool, X-Force and most likely X-23. It is also about specific scenes and themes. Days of Future Past would not have resembled the Fox version at all, with main characters from the OT losing and dying over and over, and one of the principle characters essentially being a drug addict. That would not be a thing in the MCU version. But if you want specific examples from Apocalypse:

• The opening scene from X-Men: Apocalypse is more brutal than anything we got in Civil War
    • In the MCU the "weak have taken the earth" scene with the Vatican, Wallstreet etc would also probably have been taken out
    • "You can fire your arrows from the tower of Babel, but you can never strike God," would also not have made the cut
    • "He got that one from the bible." "Or maybe the bible got it from him." as well
    • The destruction of Auschwitz also unlikely
    • Angel's transformation scene would have to be tuned down
    • Ditto for Wolverine's escape scene
    • Heck even the Magneto scene with him essentially yelling at 'god' and asking him if this is what he truly is
    And that is all still within the PG-13 rating.

This about sums it up.

#35 Weather Witch, Nov 11, 2017
  11. Frankeh Registered

Not that I’d miss most stuff from Apocalypse, to be honest. Angel’s transformation isn’t worth much since he has no relation to X-Men and a mute character to boot. If he got like even the Falcon in Civil War treatment he would be more memorable.

I think Marvel being the creators of X-Men know how to do a faithful version of them. Expecting otherwise is trying to fit an anti MCU narrative.

#36 Frankeh, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited by moderator C. Lee: Nov 11, 2017
  12. marvelrobbins Registered

exactly right.

13. marvelrobbins Registered

you got this 100% right.

take blinders off and look at track record of marvel studios under feige since the sale.even before the disney sale they wouldn't go comply demon in the bottle for iron man 2.notice there when marvel was independent studio a anti-government sentment in incredible hulk and ross an outright villain.
    all of that thrown out window since disney bought that.winter soldier my favorate mcu film explans away anyone bad in thriller by saying hydra.
    and then let's look at homecoming which throws out all of peter parker's problems and everyman qualities.for all the moaning on x-men characters every character in homecoming is in name only.Feige himself said directly
    marvel isn't doing r rated film and isn't going dark.

my postion is based on things like history and fact.if marvel was still independent studio i would have less concern but they aren't.as independent studio apart from incredible hulk the first iron man had things that for most part has been absence except for captain america trilogy balance between seriouness and humor.all x-men films by fox has humor but the point is excluding deadpool overall they are more serious with humor at certain points.

deadpool as made by fox would never happen at disney owned marvel studios.neither would logan.but neither would much of other films eather.

in Infinity war/avengers 4 the odds are good thanos defeats them in infinity war and avengers 4 is rematch.a film like dofp would never happen.

I will contune to say till day i die homecoming is terrable adaptan of spider-man.I am sure some will say i am not spider-man fan ignoring fact I collected spider-man comics for years just like they will say i am not x-men comics fan despite fact i collected comics for years before films started in
    2000 and not just main x-men team eather.

i am not confident at all in Kinberg for dark phoenix but dofp,apocalypse,and even the hated last stand suggest he will do things with balls and in seriouness and dark feige wouldn't

14. GuestStar2004 Registered

I do think they have often tried to push how far they could go on a PG13 rating.

How long has marvel been going for? how many people have worked with marvel? how many changes have been made over the decades?

Marvel is the creator but those working at marvel didn't last as long as they did by not making changes

#39 GuestStar2004, Nov 11, 2017
  15. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Spot on, say bye bye to these types of scenes if Disney gets their hands on X-Men

16. marvelrobbins Registered

preach:ilv:

17. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

:up:

18. Charzhin0 Registered

Im curious to know why you think Disney would ban the religious/god references from Apocalypse?

19. GuestStar2004 Registered

Funny enough i remember reading that for X-Men Origins: Wolverine they wanted to have wolverine suffering from PTSD but FOX felt it was too dark and so that idea was scrapped and honestly Origins is probably the most Marvel-esk X-Men movie made so far even if quality wise it wasn't done as well.

#44 GuestStar2004, Nov 11, 2017
  20. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

How was Origins Marvel "-esk" (esque? :csad: ) again?

21. AndrewGilkison Registered

Why do you assume all these things wouldn't be allowed in an MCU X-Men movie? None of them are any more or less dark than a lot of the stuff MCU movies like Winter Soldier dealt with.

In Days of Future Past the Sentinels kill the future X-Men but all of that is undone by the end of the movie. Wolverine changes history, wakes up to the future and everyone is alive and well. So how would Thanos killing the Avengers in Infinity War and everything being undone by the Infinity Stones in the next movie be all that different?

I think some of you guys are pretending the X-Men movies are more hardcore than they really are. Outside of recent movies like Deadpool and Logan they have traditionally been PG-13 blockbusters. X-Men Apocalypse (outside of some GOD references) doesn't have a tone that is all that different from Captain America Civil War. Days of Future Past doesn't have a tone that is all that different from Winter Soldier.

I think the X-Men would be fine under Marvel.

22. def28 Registered

Agreed.

That's been the usual tired argument. Outside of Deadpool, Legion and Logan X-Men isn't some hardcore mature adult franchise like people are tying to make it out to be. Most fans got brought into this film series when they were kids or teens as well. So the argument that X-Men is some how in another league is also nonsense. It attracts the same exact audience.

X-Men Apocalypse alone is a pretty goofy CGI mess of a movie. It's difficult to take seriously even when it wants to be. The difference with Marvel and their goofy stuff, is it's actually intentional and allowing the audience to care about their characters at the same time.

:up::up:

#47 def28, Nov 11, 2017
  23. GuestStar2004 Registered

It was fairly heavy on the setting up a universe, and it was fully aware it couldn't go too dark so made up for it with trying to be action packed and fun.

Was deadpool done right? no, but in terms of what they were going for with the big final 3 way battle it ticks all those boxes.

24. Frankeh Registered

I'll gladly say bye bye to Apocalypse. I'd rather pretend DOFP never got such a lousy sequel and one of my favorite X-Men villains wasn't embarrasing on screen. No offense to people who like it though.

25. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

It's not a ban, so much it isn't touched upon for the sake of its international pull. They leave that for tv.
    Mythical Gods => fine / modern religions worshiping this mutant => controversial

A much more obvious example is why they racebent Asian characters, so as to not drive away the obvious markets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.