Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shh, for some people, "something that sounds vaguely like something that might have happened in a previous film in a completely different context" somehow equals "rehash."

You, cannot reason with said people.
Some people also happen to be idiots.

Completely different kind of role and purpose

Gal was glorified as wonder women, she jumped in and saved the day from Doomsday and stood there like a bad ass between the big boys bats and superman with her own theme playing over it.

At that people are shouting with applause at the badassery on screen.

They needed to make Gal look as good and strong as possible to reassure people would have interest in the wonder women movie

And Storm in the comics is...chopped liver? Audiences can't very well cheer for a character that sucks onscreen.

Yep. I genuinely can't see what is so wonderful and mind-blowing about the infos and images released.

Speaking of...

About Raven, Lawrence said: "She’s more maternal which surprised me. She starts to get more protective of the [school] children and Charles wants to push them to prove to the world that mutants can be good for humanity and I just see them as small children."

Sounds like Kinberg has usurped Storm's role as the maternal member of the group.

In the helicopter, he is telling the other two to use their powers to get them out. He is walking in front for most of the scenes at the Alkali facility. He asks Kurt what is taking him so long. He decides that they should try and cut the power, and is the first to notice the generator, as well as the plane which is their way out of there. He is also the first to get to Logan and the one who actually gets to break the adults out. That's leadership qualities.

Though to be fair, Jean also shows her resourcefulness with freeing Logan.

And yet there are certain people here who insist that Mystique never led the X-men for practically doing the exact same things that you say gives Cyclops leadership qualities?

On Apocalypse & Dark Phoenix

"“I think we took our eye off what has always been the bedrock of the franchise which is these characters,” admits Apocalypse writer/producer and Phoenix director Simon Kinberg. “It became about global destruction and visual effects over emotion and character.”

Adds producer Hutch Parker, “It’s always dangerous if your script is evolving while you’re shooting. Certainly, in hindsight, we all feel like the genre has been evolving aesthetically and tonally and that the film didn’t. There’s a lot that I think is very good in the film but, as a whole, it was struggling to find ways to coalesce, narratively emotionally and in terms of plot. Aesthetically, it felt sort of dated relative to an evolution you were seeing play out everywhere else. We learned a lot from that.”

The flaws of Apocalypse were on Kinberg’s mind going into Phoenix and he’s adamant to recalibrate the X-Men series for fans. “One of the things I went into this film wanting to do is obviously focus on the characters and give them real emotions to play and come up with a theme that would make it feel relevant and necessary in today’s world,” he reveals.

To that end, the over-the-top qualities of Apocalypse have been dialed back for a more grounded take in Phoenix. Says star Sophie Turner, who plays Jean Grey/Phoenix, “It is so gritty and there are so many fantastical things in this movie and we really wanted it to resonate with every member of the audience who watches it so we had to make to so real as well. You still get that sense of escapism when people start flying but there’s so much reality in it. I think it will really affect people. And the way Simon shot it — the majority of this movie is handheld, like Steadicam.”

The more realistic approach was a key part of Kinberg’s pitch to the studio. “The reference images were a lot of real world imagery,” he says. “Everything from real disaster footage to what a real lighting bolt looks like when it strikes the ground. What I talked about with the performances and the photography and the visual effects is it needs to all feel organic and it needs to feel like it lives in our world to make it feel relevant again and not so heightened.”"

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/08/dark-phoenix-team-x-men-apocalypse/

Thanks for copying and pasting this. Makes it easy to quote Kinberg after the movie comes out... :ilv:

Anyone know if the magazine is out today or is it next Friday?

I checked Indigo/Chapters here in Vancouver and they still have the Star Wars cover ones. Though that one is supposed to only be displayed until 12/01/17...

Cyclops role:

The first look feature on X-Men: Dark Phoenix revealed a lot of character insights, but one X-Man it didn't really discuss was that of Cyclops. We got our hands on the new issue of EW that has the full, in-depth breakdown of X-Men: Dark Phoenix, which reveals more about Cyclops' role in the film, and where he is in his relationship with Jean Grey.

According to EW's report, "The one mutant who never wavers from Team Jean is Scott (Tye Sheridan), a.k.a. Cyclops." That's pretty much a faithful depiction of Cyclops in the original Marvel Comics "Dark Phoenix Saga" storyline, as Cyclops fights his way across the stars in order to save Jean.

As Dark Phoenix director Simon Kinberg describes, keeping that aspect of the story intact was very important to the filmmakers, stating, "that relationship, his being willing to kill or die for her, is a huge part of the emotional core of the movie. It also makes Scott start to have to become a leader."

:hmr:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/12/09/x-men-dark-phoenix-cyclops-jean-grey-relationship/

Sorry, BeholdMe, but NO, i'm not going to go leaping to conclusions that there will be a battle on the moon. Let's not carried away. I want to stick to what we can see, the facts and information.

At this point, I see nothing mind-blowing. I can feel the first marketing hype whirring into life. But I read of Mystique being in the X-Men (so much for people saying she would be on Genosha, or off on her own, that was all a load of crap), I know Magneto will have a big sub-plot again, I read nothing about Storm (so she will be a non-entity probably), and there's this attempt to create intrigue around who Chastain is playing...
Well the facts are we still don’t know much about the movie so I can see why you don’t want to jump to the wrong conclusions only to be let down best to be surprised by what you see in the movie/trailer. I’m none to happy to see Mystique back but maybe her appearance is brief or she actually dies in the movie I’ll have to see the movie. Trust me I agree with you on the Storm part, the most iconic female black superhero and they aren’t doing anything with her. I’m hoping we get something significant for us fans this movie. I’m just staying optimistic that the movie will be great.
Yep. I genuinely can't see what is so wonderful and mind-blowing about the infos and images released.

About Raven, Lawrence said: "She’s more maternal which surprised me. She starts to get more protective of the [school] children and Charles wants to push them to prove to the world that mutants can be good for humanity and I just see them as small children."

I hate that. That information seems to indicate the X-Men will be the supporting characters of Charles and Raven again. There is no news about the actual team. Nothing to suggest they'll be the leads. They'll be only a tool to work the conflicts between Raven and Charles and their take on the X-Men. And the X-Men are seen as "children". And Raven is leading them. Ugh...

And forget about Storm having more than 10 lines. She'll never have a relevent role while FOX is in control.

I'm praying every single day for every single god so Disney and Fox can close that deal already. Take over, Marvel!

Honestly I thought the Phoenix photos were awesome so yes I was stoked about that and the funeral scene was a very neat picture to see as well. Nothing wrong with being excited with that. Honestly I do like Mystique’s look beingvgaht it is big improvement on how she has looked in the FC era so I liked the pic.

Last edited:
I feel like someone predicted this yesterday. For about 12 hours, if that, most of the posts following the EW images and early details were cautious, even wary, but undeniably optimistic. Maybe this can work? It certainly looks better than Apocalypse, and that vision for Phoenix is evocative.

And as someone said, give it a day, and we'd be right back to the same kvetching and sanctimonious critiques.

Maybe the franchise deserves it after Apocalypse (and X3 and XOW before it) to garner this kind of negativity. But honestly, even if after the movie comes out and it were the second coming of The Dark Knight, the same folks would still be on here going, "But Mystique is supposed to be evil! And what about the individual costumes!"

Sigh, it was nice to have a day of brief open mindedness. Now everyone is dug back into their familiar trenches of 48 hours ago.

So, a lot like she destroys Alcatraz and many of the mutants/people on it when she gets into Dark Phoenix mode?

Rehash alert!

Considering that was the climax and if that rumor is true, it would probably be closer to a narrative stand-in for when Phoenix destroyed a planet in the comics, I imagine it will be actually quite different.

Now her seeking out Magneto is potentially more worrisome of rehashing a plot point. But we shall see.

So has Storm been reduced to nothing more than a special effect again? We haven't heard about her role.

And why is Erik's hair not white or greying at all? Why does the guy look nothing like Ian Mckellen when X-Men is only 7 years after the events of this movie in the original timeline? I am absolutely blown away by the lack of effort and laziness that has been put into aging these characters. 30 years later, they still look young and nothing like the older versions

So we have a new quote about Jean seeking refuge at Genosha. [BLACKOUT]Is this consistent with the rumours a while back that Genosha is a flying island?[/BLACKOUT]. Jean and Magneto shared a look with each other at the end of Apocalypse which makes me think Kinberg thinks of them as kindreds. I hate X3 more than any movie ever made, but the Jean and Magneto dynamic was executed much better in the Wolverine and the X-men series than it was in that movie (and these films have always taken things from the cartoons).

The new quote about Cyclops is great. It would be nice if Scott and Jean had a psychic link. Cyclops seems 100% Team Jean... I wonder who won't be...

About the X3 talk:

Here's an interview with Kinberg posted today where he talks about the lesson he learned from Apocalypse:

Now here's an interview before Apocalypse where he talks about his main concern about the movie:

He gave other interviews before the movie saying the same thing. So what exactly did he learn from Apocalypse? And if that's what he learned from Apocalypse, what did he learn from X3? And will it matter considering how he learned his lessons?

Now back to the X3 comparisons, both movies will handle a big number of characters. There will be a secondary storyline for Eric, when Jean will look for him. Important characters will die. There is the same concern to give big material for the big stars. There won't be Sh'iar or the Hellfire, instead there'll be skrulls and Genosha. All the infos we got seems to suggest the X-Men will once again be standing in the background. Zero news about Scott or Storm. Instead, we know that Raven and Charles will be having conflicts about how to lead the X-Men. Or should I say "the children". Well...

I liked "Apocalypse", but the biggest problem for me is that story wasn't as interesting as the previous two films. I'm surprised that he felt that the characters were lacking. Personally, the character interactions are partially why it worked for me. I still liked the trio of Charles, Mystique, and especially Magneto. I'm just hoping for a better story this time around.

It's nothing like that.

In X3, Jean tells Xavier: "I have no home." She ends up going off with Magneto, feeling some kind of affinity to him because she is such a lost soul.

That quote sounds like something similar happens in this.

It could have been done in a better way than repeating a plot point of X3. But of course he co-wrote X3 and can't get those ideas out of his head.

You're thinking of it like the new movies are a completely separate continuity from the original trilogy. They are in a new timeline, but it's a new timeline in the same universe. It makes sense for certain story beats to play out the same way.

"There’s a theory in quantum physics that time is immutable. It’s like a river: you can throw a pebble in and create a ripple, but the current always corrects itself. No matter what you do the river just keeps flowing in the same direction." - Hank McCoy

I feel like someone predicted this yesterday. For about 12 hours, if that, most of the posts following the EW images and early details were cautious, even wary, but undeniably optimistic. Maybe this can work? It certainly looks better than Apocalypse, and that vision for Phoenix is evocative.

And as someone said, give it a day, and we'd be right back to the same kvetching and sanctimonious critiques.

Maybe the franchise deserves it after Apocalypse (and X3 and XOW before it) to garner this kind of negativity. But honestly, even if after the movie comes out and it were the second coming of The Dark Knight, the same folks would still be on here going, "But Mystique is supposed to be evil! And what about the individual costumes!"

Sigh, it was nice to have a day of brief open mindedness. Now everyone is dug back into their familiar trenches of 48 hours ago.

I wish the detractors would finally just start looking at the Fox Xmen movies like they would look at an Elseworlds comic, now that we're inevitably going to get a more comic accurate MCU depiction. No one complains that an Elseworlds story deviates from the source material, because in their minds that is what an Elseworlds comic is "supposed" to do.

Well, now the Fox Xmen universe is destined to essentially be an "Elseworlds" story once the MCU version takes center stage, so there's no reason why the Fox Xmen movies should be anything other than their own unique thing.

I just don't understand why some franchises are allowed to have mediocre to bad bad installments and audiences still look forward to the next film. However, with X-Men even if the film stumbles a little bit fans get up in arms. Apocalypse wasn't amazing but I'd still prefer that film to the first two Thor's, Iron Man 2, Dr. Strange, Civil War, BvS, etc.. Personally, DOFP was so good that I'm willing to give any film in this series the benefit of the doubt. Also, it's nice to have one superhero series that's purely interested in making good films, and not trying to build a cinematic universe. Too bad it's the last of a dying breed.

I also think that Chastain is playing Lilandra in disguise. The photo that we are given is Emma post funeral scene this is why she's in all black opposed to white. We were just given this image to throw us off.

Having Lilandra as Emma Frost would make her familiar with Charles so that she could easily infiltrate the group and get close to Jean. Being a shapeshifter also works because she can enter Emma's diamond form to help build her cover.

What her plans are ultimately beats me, maybe during their space mission Jean gets on Lilandra's radar, the Shiar may not think she is a threat until Lilandra goes to earth and manipulates her into using her power in the worst way, making her a threat. Maybe she goes to Earth to alienate Jean from her friends by making her tap into her darkside. This way the X-Men wouldn't stand in the way of the Shiar when they come for her. IDK I'm just rambling at this point, I'm excited for this film.

I just don't understand why some franchises are allowed to have mediocre to bad bad installments and audiences still look forward to the next film. However, with X-Men even if the film stumbles a little bit fans get up in arms. Apocalypse wasn't amazing but I'd still prefer that film to the first two Thor's, Iron Man 2, Dr. Strange, Civil War, BvS, etc.. Personally, DOFP was so good that I'm willing to give any film in this series the benefit of the doubt. Also, it's nice to have one superhero series that's purely interested in making good films, and not trying to build a cinematic universe. Too bad it's the last of a dying breed.

I'd rate Civil War above Apocalypse, but I agree with the rest. It's all because of the 90's cartoon. If Fox would center around trying to replicate that, I imagine "fans" would be a lot happier. Then again, some are so obsessed with Feige and The Formula they won't ever be satisfied until some kind of a deal is made.

It hasn't been particularly fun being an X-Men fan these past ten years. The comics have gone down the deep end, the films deliver critically acclaimed hits like First Class, Logan and DOFP and people act online like these are Transformers films, there's no merchandise or video games. It's all just a little bit gloomy.

I have a big thought that we may be looking to far into the funeral picture and assuming that it's related t the twist/death. We know the death happens in the middle of the film, so do we really think that while all of this is happening they're really going to have time for a funeral? Aside from X3, that was just sloppy. Like, yeah, let's plan a big funeral with 50+ people while a literal army is building with the most powerful mutant we've ever known and they're attacking all the cure centers around the country and we're the only ones that can do something about it. Sure, sweet plan.

The funeral is for Jean, at the BEGINNING of the movie. We know the space rescue happens in the beginning and that's where Jean becomes Phoenix. Now we also see a promo picture of her looking at her hand while her body is literally disintegrating. Maybe she pretty much deatomizes herself in the process of saving everyone and they think she died and have a funeral.

It would explain Cyclops on the side by himself. If it was for anyone else, Magneto, Mystique or Hank, I assure you they would be there. Hank not being there can be explained by him not thinking she's dead and tracking strange power surges around the world in his lab.

It's also in line with the original X3/X4 idea with after Jeans death, strange things start to happen around the world such as dried lakes and destroyed cargo ships transporting mutant slaves and it's the Phoenix resurfacing. Maybe she reforms herself somewhere with her new level of power and other persona fighting for control, leading to her going off on a search for answers. Also explains her being naked...

There are two things that puzzles me

1) "Foxverse make less money 'cause it don't stay faithfull to the comics".

I think this is a double wrong statement.

Firstly 'cause neither MCU is faithfull to comics (and I consider Singer to be more faithfull to the Claremont's spirit than any MCU film that have similar only the costumes and maybe the roles)

And the 'cause what several users seems to constantly forget: nobody cares about comics.
For nobody i mean the general audience. There are a part of it grow up with Feige/MCU, so for these the canon is the movie, not the comics. And the other part thinks that if Thor can be in the same world with Iron Man, so also Batman could.
All these people don't know as a comic book is made. I mean literally.
And this group brings money. Not the comics fan.

And neither the '90 cartoon fan. It's an 'old' cartoon with no revival at all (no action figures, no blue-ray, nobody remenbers it)

2) the single vs team movies.

Take Avengers forgetting all the prevoius single movies.
you have a less developed characters than any X-Men movies.

You cannot give the space/time you want to every charaters in coral movies.
But at the same time you cannot have a faithfull single charaters movie for Cyclops, Storm etc... cause they are X-Men
So it takes more time or Fox must made a decision like to focus on Charles and Erik.

Nobody will remember the Singerverse next decade except for how Singer was a perv

Funny how this cheap fan made video has 36k views in 3 days for something nobody remembers

[YT]yp0GupFqj28[/YT]

36k views with a video with key world Marvel Studios and X-Men in these days that there is a such talking of the deal?
low view numbers.

and above all: there's no reference to the '90 cartoon.
the music is not a keyword.
the most of the people who left a comment didn't catch it. (a part the one about morph)

36k views with a video with key world Marvel Studios and X-Men in these days that there is a such talking of the deal?
low view numbers.

36k views for a subscriber with 5 follower's and this is his first video? That means people are actively searching for this information on YouTube. How views did your first YouTube video get? Doubt it was close to 36k that is impressive in 3 days

The fact you are trying to put down a show that without you wouldn't have your FOXMEN movies without is funny

Last edited:
Is that all they'll remember? Its not like this series has produced some of the best comic book movies ever. :whatever:

Well every X-MEN movie won't let us forget "FROM The PRODUCER X2!". "FROM The DIRECTOR of DoFP!"

Bryan Singer's X-MEN!

Singer has left a stench on those movies that won't come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"