Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed!

2018 is gonna be an exciting year for Jean in the comics and on screen. Her resurrection has a bunch of hype in the comics and she's getting a comic about her world-vision. Can't wait to see what Dark Phoenix has in store for her.

I imagine either this suit or that green and yellow one will probably make an appearance in the film. Or could just be the one that Kinberg had tattooed on him.

If this is the last FOX-MEN movie how much would that bump sales? Will it do better than Apocalypse? First Class movies without OT haven't done that well box office wise.

My guess is that it will hurt. Apocalypse was an unpopular lead-in in the first place, but it is going to be hard for audiences to get interested in this installment when the franchise is dead before it even comes out. If it was the last time for Hugh Jackman, then sure, but I've never seen the same amount of love for the cast in this film.

And this is why the conversation on this particular thread should go back to the actual film itself, not a studio acquisition, lest all those posts get deleted down the line.

I don't see the problem. It is absolutely on topic. The studio being sold could have a major impact on this particular film and the reception it will receive. You can't really divorce Dark Phoenix from the sale. It isn't like we are discussing what Marvel will do in future films, we are discussing the sale and how it directly impacts Dark Phoenix.

I don't see the problem. It is absolutely on topic. The studio being sold could have a major impact on this particular film and the reception it will receive. You can't really divorce Dark Phoenix from the sale. It isn't like we are discussing what Marvel will do in future films, we are discussing the sale and how it directly impacts Dark Phoenix.

This.

We want to know if there will even be a film. If we're talking just about the film but it no longer exists after the sale, then everything we discuss here is all moot.

Posted this in the other thread, but I’ll post my thoughts here too...

I kinda wish Dark Phoenix would stay on the cutting room floor. I know that’s not gonna happen, but XMA was in a lot of ways the end of the Singer-verse, and Logan was a gorgeous ending to Jackman’s Wolverine. It was the perfect opening for a reboot.

Now we have to get another film by Kinberg that’s just going to damage the IP even more...

Agreed.

Anyways someone should probably just make a separate thread for this so we can discuss it there. Any takers? :oldrazz:

There are threads outside of the X-boards lol

I feel bad for the cast at this point. If the deal really goes through next week, I can't see this generating a lot of hype going forward vs. the expectations of a Marvel reboot and we've still got almost a year to go until the release. I wonder even if Disney will bother marketing this properly given that its very existence will delay their own plans for the IP, even more so if it's poorly received.

Haha maybe I'll talk to you about it in person in January. ;)
1f914.png

This.

We want to know if there will even be a film. If we're talking just about the film but it no longer exists after the sale, then everything we discuss here is all moot.

They are not scrapping a $150+ million movie that is filmed. You don't add that big of a loss onto your financials with the explanation "oh, we can do a better one, so we are not even trying to make a profit off of it". Add in the money that they lose when the investors into Dark Phoenix sue due to Disney scraping their investment, screwing them out of any possible gain.

I understand that this is a message board, and have plenty of evidence that posters don't have any business acumen at all. But dear lord, this is basic logic.

They are not scrapping a $150+ million movie that is filmed. You don't add that big of a loss onto your financials with the explanation "oh, we can do a better one, so we are not even trying to make a profit off of it". Add in the money that they lose when the investors into Dark Phoenix sue due to Disney scraping their investment, screwing them out of any possible gain.

I understand that this is a message board, and have plenty of evidence that posters don't have any business acumen at all. But dear lord, this is basic logic.
Exactly some people are so hell bent on hate of Fox they will concoct anything for them to come out losing no matter how nonsensical it is. I can say they have NEVER scrapped a film they already had filmed that was this expensive in Hollywood history why would they start now? And it I see a "hurr hurrr because... Marvel hurr hurrr" I will instantly not take the post seriously.

If this is the last FOX-MEN movie how much would that bump sales? Will it do better than Apocalypse? First Class movies without OT haven't done that well box office wise.

Audiences don't care if this is the last Fox X-Men movie. I doubt there would be any bump at the box office.

Exactly some people are so hell bent on hate of Fox they will concoct anything for them to come out losing no matter how nonsensical it is. I can say they have NEVER scrapped a film they already had filmed that was this expensive in Hollywood history why would they start now? And it I see a "hurr hurrr because... Marvel hurr hurrr" I will instantly not take the post seriously.

But they have scrapped completed films before, just not ones of this price tag. It isn't totally impossible, just extremely unlikely. If it is Fant4stic level awful and it is felt that the damage to the brand would be too great, it is at least possible they could decide the cost of scrapping it would be the lesser of two evils.

And even if they don't (which is almost certainly going to be the case), it is still a fair point of discussion of whether they should or not.

Its up to the Department of Justice and Anti trust lawyers to save the day now....

They don't need to scrap this. Just make the best of it even if that involves replacing Kinberg.

I'm good with this being the end of the series and the MCU taking it. Honestly in my heart "Logan" was the end for me, heck so was Days of Future Past. Anything was just a nice desert. 18 years is a good run. Being in the MCU can freshen things up. The only character i worry about is Deadpool. Ryan is fantastic and i just love the R rated mayhem, everyone else I'm not worried about.

Plus if i have to pick between Feige and Kinsberg i pick Feige every single day.

Fiege and Ryan will clash on the direction of a dead pool film. Fiege will want to take all the praise, so he will recast and the new actor will be hailed as the best Dead pool ever, because you know......

I feel bad for the cast at this point. If the deal really goes through next week, I can't see this generating a lot of hype going forward vs. the expectations of a Marvel reboot and we've still got almost a year to go until the release. I wonder even if Disney will bother marketing this properly given that its very existence will delay their own plans for the IP, even more so if it's poorly received.

Some of them like Jessica Chastain might've preferred a different role had she been in the MCU. And if she had played in a Fox movie before that was some time ago, then maybe she could play another character in the MCU.

But if Dark Phoenix is released now being under the Marvel Studios banner, then I don't see her getting another role in the MCU proper.

They don't need to scrap this. Just make the best of it even if that involves replacing Kinberg.

I doubt very much they scrap it. But it also likely won't get the Marvel Studios branding and it wouldn't surprise me if they skimp on the marketing and limit how much money is spent in post.

In other words, it might be released, but it might be a half-assed release.

Unreleastic expectations.

Audiences don't care if this is the last Fox X-Men movie. I doubt there would be any bump at the box office.

You can't talk for everyone in that regard.

I noticed that a lot of people talked about this movie as if people didn't care for it as much as new mutants and deadpool but I have noticed a a lot of Twitter polls which dark Phoenix won out on people being the most excited for.

I ain't to sure you can base a small minority over the much larger audience.

Last edited:
Fiege and Ryan will clash on the direction of a dead pool film. Fiege will want to take all the praise, so he will recast and the new actor will be hailed as the best Dead pool ever, because you know......

But feiges a geek like the fans so he is gonna do what the fans want?... right?

I doubt very much they scrap it. But it also likely won't get the Marvel Studios branding and it wouldn't surprise me if they skimp on the marketing and limit how much money is spent in post.

In other words, it might be released, but it might be a half-assed release.

Problem with that logic if that it's to assume marvel will look at dark Phoenix and be like wow this is automically terrible because Simon kinberg, we automically do not like this but we have to release it so let's just not bother much with it so we can reboot it later on and do things right by the fans.

I can't help but wonder why people see an automatic bias towards the fox movies or even this feeling that Disney think Simon is a bad writer.

They can't scrap any film that's been developed to the pre production point which means we will be getting everything scheduled up until Gambit the financial loss would be too great and the contracting is all in place for crew, cast and location so those contracts cannot be voided.

I think they will keep the 20th Century Fox company label to release films like Deadpool, New Mutants and any potential R-rated ventures similar to the deal they have with Sony to have Venom in a separate universe. MCU will probably take control with an X-Men reboot or bring Wolverine into their current films before phasing in the rest of the rebooted cast.

Profitable franchises like Alien will probably get a release through 20th Century Fox whilst still being a Disney subsidiary. Avatar would probably make the jump over to Lucas film.

If they really want to make this part of the MCU they'll probably postpone the film and do some reshoots to explain multiverses and different continuities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"