X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 7

Discussion in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' started by Thread Manager, Dec 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]536917[/split]

2. Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]535995[/split]

3. fobi Registered

I wonder if the mission will be the opening sequence that they usually have before the credits. If so I'm definitely looking forward to that, those have been great with every film.

4. Lip Registered

Well, she was introduced as part of a genocide...

5. X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Mystique is no doubt leader of the group (replacing Cyclops).

And now the 'mother hen' of the group (replacing Storm).

So you can see that the X-Men themselves will be in the background.

Then there's all this rehashing of plot points. I think critics might have hard time with overly familiar story elements. Even though X3 was in 2006, it's still in people's minds. Especially critics, who are supposed to remember all this stuff.

I'm starting to doubt Skrulls are in it though. There was a leaked opening sequence with a Skrull invasion at the United Nations. But this latest info from EW talks about a space rescue mission at the start of the film.

I think Chastain may be Cassandra Nova. There was talk that her character makes Xavier cry, which would make sense if she was his long-lost sister whom he thought dead.

I don't like very much of what I'm hearing and reading and seeing. We've already had the Phoenix story - I thought it was a risk doing that again at this point, but if it's not drastically different, people are just going to recall X3. A space mission isn't enough to differentiate it if a lot of things play out the same.

6. Lip Registered

JLaw's quote made it clear the X-Men will be the background of Raven and Charles conflicts.

About Chastain's character, I still think it's Veranke because, although they didn't mention the skrulls or the Skrull Queen, they've said she is playing a "otherworldly shapeshifter", which fits Veranke better. And it fits the scoop about the skrulls too. So I think there are more basis to sustain she is Veranke than other villain.

But I won't be surprise if she is Cassandra. That way they can easily shift focus to Charles, which is a priority for them.

7. Ryan1210 Registered

Yeah how dare they! They should've put Charles & Raven on the cover! Oh wait...

8. jaymes_e06 Registered

Why would Cassandra Nova be other worldly? Also one thing seems similar so far to X3 and that's Jean getting help from Magneto. How it will play out in context is anyones guess.

9. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

J. Law made a remark about how the last three X-men films were chaotic behind the scenes. I figured that First Class was that way since they were on a tight deadline, but what happened behind the scenes with DOFP and Apocalypse?

10. DACrowe Registered

carpenter82 wrote this in the past thread:

There is something to that for me. The X-films are still trying to make each movie be something unique, as opposed to falling into an assembly line. I saw someone say once the Disney deal goes through Dark Phoenix is a "lame duck." Why?

The reason why is fans are increasingly inclined to no longer look at these as movies or individual film experiences, but as advertisements for the next one. If there is nothing to advertise, then why bother with the current one? There is something wrong with this system if you like films for being films, to me.

P.S. Yeah I think DC is a better example because they have screwed up worse than Fox ever did with BvS, SS, and JL. But fans are still hoping they can turn it around. Marvel... I will say that after Thor 2, it is impressive so many were jazzed for Thor 3. And look it turned out to be something special. Who knows maybe X-Men will also recover?

11. DACrowe Registered

Leo Zelinsky:

[​IMG]

... I know I didn't need to quote this, but he spent about 5,000 words gloating that no one will remember any of the Fox X-Men films in a few years while reminiscing over TAS. Yes, TAS is why Fox bought X-Men rights. And without the Fox X-Men movies and Raimi Spider-Man movies, there wouldn't be an MCU either. This tunnel vision some fans have.

So yeah, hence the gif.

12. Charzhin0 Registered

Good to hear the focus is back om the drama and character rather than messy overbloated action that was in Apocalypse. As long as we get fresh interactions and clashes of ideals (so anything other than a retread of DOFP with Mistique-Prof X-Magneto) then im excited.

13. Lip Registered

Kinberg stated several times that X-Men: Apocalypse would be human, intimate, dramatic, (the most) emotional movie, and focused on the characters. Look at what it turned out. So if I were you I wouldn't believe a word he says.

They also said that Jean/Ororo/Scott/Kurt would take the lead after Apocalypse. However the FC cast is back and most of the infos we got is from their characters.

Also, according to JLaw's quote there will be conflicts of ideologies: the X-Men will be the background of Charles and Raven's conflicts.

Enjoy. ;)

14. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

I am guessing it is similar to what Singer's problems were on his current set before he got fired. Tardiness. And I suspect drugs may have been an issue.

15. fobi Registered

Because she kind of is.

16. GuestStar2004 Registered

:lmao:

17. GuestStar2004 Registered

That could be part of like one or two darn scenes between them for all we know.

You may be making it a much bigger thing then it actually is.

#17 GuestStar2004, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  18. jaymes_e06 Registered

Nice reach but no...

19. jaymes_e06 Registered

The hypocrisy is strong with Leo.

20. GuestStar2004 Registered

21. MarvelU Registered

Thats cool, I bet her full Phoenix form will be her completely engulfed in flames which would be a good visual. Shes is going to look interesting flying around naked in flames lol.

22. BeholdMe Storm Disciple

Omgosh that’s so awesome. This picture renewed faith in me about the upcoming movie. There is a possibility it can knock it out of the park. I’m wondering if they are going to incorporate the actual Phoenix costume if not that’s ok I’d like to see her completely engulfed in flames to with strategically placed flames to show off the wild side of DP

23. X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Why would they make such a thing out of the mystery over Chastain's role if she was just a Skrull Queen?

I think it's because there is a big reveal that she turns out to be someone more personally significant. Something like the Talia reveal in TDKR.

And, of course, Cassandra Nova inhabits the body of an Imperial Guard shapeshifter called Stuff...

The film will be what the film will be.

But I think the MCU would have done a better job with this saga, embracing the cosmic aspects, including the Shiar and Imperial Guard and going all-out with it.

I saw your earlier post calling me an 'idiot' for pointing out plot similarities between this film and X3.

I'm not an idiot.

And for Mr Peanut's 'reminder' that DoFP told us that you can't change the overall flow of time, just add a few ripples, yes we all know that. So can we expect Mystique to go back to being a ruthless baddie? No, I thought not...

Can't wait for this series to go back to Marvel. It's messed up beyond belief.

24. def28 Registered

Have you not seen the Fantastic 4 films?

25. GuestStar2004 Registered

FOX is a mixed bag, they certainly have made great films that are highly rated among comic book movies and they made some poor films also that range in quality

WB has a slightly lower track record since TDKR in 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.