X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 9

Discussion in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' started by Thread Manager, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]537633[/split]

2. Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]537279[/split]

3. Cktopl33 Registered

I think his main point was that the action should be driven by the characters, which he said they're trying to do with Dark Phoenix (supposedly to be the biggest action visual effects x-men film to date according to them). One thing Kinberg is doing differently is spending more time on the visual effects this time around. The film Logan was more character driven but some of the action sequences in Apocalypse, aside from bad choreography, did not connect emotionally with the characters or audience. Which resulted in a 'meh' response.

Some people need to be realistic about costume designs. For example, expecting classic costume designs from the 80s DP comic for when this film is set in the 90s is just unrealistic. Storm's classic costume design, which is almost like a bathing suit, is simply not going to work for these type of movies. I liked her horsemen design in Apocalypse, but the team costumes at the end still looked terrible. That's the only thing those costumes at the end Apocalypse reminded me of....cheap silly cosplay. Even the MCU costumes were changed around a bit to make them look more relevant and less cosplay.

4. Cktopl33 Registered

I don't think that shows his flaws as a writer. I don't think Singer was referring to more need for spoken words. What he said concerning the draft on Days of Future Past:

What Singer said about the dialogue for that movie:
    What Kinberg said regarding the dialogue in DOFP:

What I think I find more interesting is that Kinberg knows more about the comics than any of the directors who actually directed these x-men movies. So I'm interested to see how he does with this when given full control. When he was talking about writing Days of Future Past, he was the one who actually brought up the story of the comic:

#4 Cktopl33, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  5. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Kinberg, a top ten producer. Uh huh.

6. Lip Registered

It could be the cast. There was also a series of characters apparently related to Hellfire. Who know?

I think Lamar could be playing a character who's originally white in the comics.

7. RalphieRandy Registered

They said that Sophie has been studying schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder and how to switch between "crazy" and sane. I wonder if she'll use her American dialect for Jean and her English one for the Phoenix. I think it would be interesting seeing her jump between the two as she's losing control. Especially when Kean and Phoenix are talking to....um....each other. Or themselves....

8. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

He could be playing Sunfire.Fox doesn't give a damn if the actor looks the part. They just don't care about that. Like look at Domino, Cecilia Reyes, Sunspot...

9. Frankeh Registered

As unrealistic as getting costumes from 90's X-Men era in an 80's X-Men movie (Apocalypse)?

What people need to be realistic about is that costume design is generally subpar in these movies, accurate or not.

10. Lip Registered

There are huge differences between Domino and the whitewashing case in New Mutants.

I don't mind cast the adds and includes minorities, such as Nick Fury, Domino, Blink or others. I do mind cast that continue to exclude minorities.

11. Erik Lensherr Registered

12. Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

I don’t mind the look they have for Domino, I am going to wait for the movie to see the execution of her character. Overall, I’m just really not worried about Deadpool.

Re: this movie though, those previous pics that we looked at did remind me of X3, and someone mentioned maybe Mystique gets taken out in a similar fashion that Xavier did in X3 and the Grey household...not sure how I feel about that only because it feels like a retread of sorts.

I know Cudmore said he could not say who he was playing, but I bet it is Colossus anyways.

#12 Tymminator, Jan 20, 2018
  13. Lip Registered

Colossus will appear in Deadpool 2 this year. Fox has always been a mess, but I don't think they'll be using two different versions of Colossus in the same year.

Colossus isn't Caliban.

14. X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Well, the problem is that characters who ended up in exciting action sequences - Storm, Beast, Psylocke, Angel - were NOT developed well enough to add emotional stakes. That's down to Singer and Kinberg.

Also, Magneto ended up floating passively in a forcefield bubble at the end. I love Magneto's forcefield bubbles from the animated series and comics but they are used far more dynamically and dramatically in those mediums.

Then we had Magneto projecting metal shrapnel at Apocalypse, which was fine except Fassbender was dangling rather awkwardly in the air for that sequence, with his helmet sitting oddly. And most of the scene was obscured by too much black smoke which we presume was the metal being vaporised as it struck Apocalypse's own forcefield.

Nothing too appalling but some ideas didn't work as well as they should. Storm's dialogue explaining why she sided with Apoc was cut, Psylocke had no real character at all, Angel was just an angry alcoholic and Beast has no arc at all. Whose fault is all that? Some of the blame must come down on Kinberg.

Poor costume design (and bad wigs) has been part of this series since the beginning, sadly.

No one expects Storm in a bathing suit and thigh-high hooker boots, lol. But they can't even get her cape right. It is supposed to have a wing-like shape when she has outstretched arms. They need a cape with more stiffened fabric for the scenes when she is airborne/flying. It can't be that difficult.

15. Drexelhand Registered

Which I have proven to you. But your point always this in return: "BUT I DIDN'T LIKE HIS MOVIES SO HE'S NOT GOOD!" Great job, I don't ****ing like his movies either mostly.

Having seen the draft Kinberg prepared for Vaughn before Singer came aboard, your interpretation of what they said is a bit skewed. The dialogue in the movie is much more streamlined, way less heavy handed and expositiony and the film is far less grounded in reality, but more the emotions of the characters. Kinberg's original draft read like something out of a 1963 X-Men comic.

#15 Drexelhand, Jan 20, 2018
  16. Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

At first I thought that as well,but I can see Fox letting the Deadpool crew use their own Colossus as they are kind of their own thing and Cudmore with the FoX-Men as Colossus for that Story.

Yeah, I know that sounds nuts, but I can see them do that.

17. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

They've also made clear that there's no intent for Deadpool's Colossus to power down.

18. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

The thing with Domino is they are catering to the actress not eXactly the character to the point that it no longer looks like Domino from the comics. Like since when Domino had afro hair and dark skin? Never. They even changed the color of the eye patch.

19. Lip Registered

Well, I don't mind that at all. And get ready because, if Homecoming is any indication, I bet once Marvel Studios get the X-Men back they'll do exactly the same thing with many characters. And I can't wait for it.

20. 1627523 Registered

LOL u want the x-men groveling to the avengers. Wouldnt it be funny if the x-men get all their suits from Tony and then bother him about joining the Avengers. Personally i want the MCU x-men to keep the same dramatic tone and themes from the fox movies, but share more screentime between the x-men instead wolverine, prof x, magneto, and mystique. If they do that than im a happy camper.

#20 1627523, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  21. Lip Registered

22. The Guard Registered

They're likely setting up some sort of Avengers VS X-Men/Civil War II thing...they're not going to be able to resist pitting the two groups against each other at some point.

23. X-Maniac High Evolutionary

I really hope Tony Stark isn't the only source of X-Men technology.

There's Beast, Forge, Magneto and even Reed Richards who are also very good with technology.

When the new X-Men arrived in 1975, Xavier said Reed Richards had designed their costumes from 'unstable molecules.'

No need to keep shoehorning RDJ into every movie.

24. Lip Registered

I'm still very confused about how my post about diversity turned into a convesation about technology in the MCU.

25. Kuwolski g r u n t - m a n

It was such a ridiculous leap to make.

Diversity = grovelling to Stark

Subversive ax grinding .

#25 Kuwolski, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.