X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 9

Discussion in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' started by Thread Manager, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperT Boom Shaka Laka

As someone who works in marketing and does a lot of testing with different marketing content, materials etc. having multiple tests after revisions isn't a bad thing nor necessarily a sign of insecurity.

It's important to test, especially with multiple audiences because something might hit well with one test group but completely fall flat with another. So you take what worked with both test groups to create something that appeals to both. You never walk out with the first round and just go with that without testing across multiple segments.

2. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Its illegal and these people are usually given a non disclosure agreement. They leak a footage and they would be tracked down and be sued. How many people would want to go down that path. And like someone said no cameras allowed. It'd be foolish for the studio, not to catch someone filming a test screening.

3. carpenter82 Registered

It's unlikely to happen, but I hope Zimmer reuses Ottman's X-Men theme, and Jean's theme from "Apocalypse".

4. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

I don't think he would use them.

5. Davidstorm Registered

Yes
    these tests lately are leading directors to launch failed projects or throw away great jobs
    we recently had a paramount movie that was totally rejected in the test sessions, and the studio sold to the streaming platform predicting that on account of the test session the movie would be a big flop, and the movie currently has 89% approval in the rotten , and this being well received by the general public, I think it was a lesson he learned after apocalypse, he should now be seeking more opinions to minimize this possibility.

#955 Davidstorm, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  6. carpenter82 Registered

I'm starting to think the teaser will be in front of Ready Player One.

7. Davidstorm Registered

Probably, yes.
    and it would be good, steven spilberg movies almost always have a great public

8. carpenter82 Registered

There's that, and sometimes they try to include a trailer that shares the same actor.

9. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I was at a test screening of Scream 4 a few years ago (got to meet Wes Craven...it was awesome). I was also selected for the after movie Q/A based on the survey I had to take after the film.

In order to attend a test screening, you sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement). Therefore if you spoil anything, record footage, etc. they FLAT OUT TELL YOU that the studio can/will sue you. Some will go as far as collecting your phones and such. Studios are 100% serious about that as well. I've heard many stories of it happening.

As for why is there another test screening, films always have multiple test screenings of films. That is nothing new. Further, a test screening is not the final film. large differences can still be made. When they make changes, it gets tested again.

10. SumT Registered

you know what the studio should ask those viewers after the screening?

- are you satisfied with these characters: Cyclops, Storm, Beast and Psylocke?
    - who are your fave characters from this movie?

and if most viewers dont name the x-men, then Fox would know their main problem.

11. Frankeh Registered

I doubt they care about that.

AFAIK they typically ask... Is the movie satisfying? If not, what would you change? And that's how scenes get deleted, endings are changed (Fatal Attraction), etc.

If the audience says the movie is satisfying that'll be good enough for them.

12. SumT Registered

and thats why Fox will keep having these mediocre numbers for their main team, while spinoffs will outdo the X-Men. sigh.
    Fox wont ever learn. Im not surprised tho

13. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Normally, favorite character and such are part of the poll. At least, I was asked that for my movie. I am sure it differs depending upon the studio and the film. Further, when you get the Q&A afterward, they will also ask you things like that and ask you for details.

14. SumT Registered

I guess so.
    The problem with Fox, I think, is that if they ask "who were your fave characters?" and most people say Magneto, Mystique and Quicksilver, Fox wont realize the problem there, and will think "ok, we did a good work and lets promote Quicksilver and Mystique more", totally missing the main point here: the audience doesnt love the X-Men. You know... the supposed lead characters, since the movies are called.... well, 'X-Men'.

Producers or mainly execs have no idea about the source material and the fanbase and their expectations, so if they see great response to characters like Magneto and Quicksilver, they would be easily pleased with the screening and forget about improving on the actual X-Men that made the team so popular since the 80/90s. They miss the point entirely, Kinberg included, seeing the Apocalypse script and how he treated half the X-men, if not most. So if those polls Fox makes dont put emphasis on the X-Men and how the audience sees them, Fox will keep repeating the same mistakes over and over with each sequel (as we have seen since X3). So inevitably, the X-men movies wont ever reach its full potential.

15. Jh7058622 Registered

Don't you think that's an overgeneralization? Even with the animated series people had their favorites from Gambit to Rogue and Storm to even Magneto so to say that thats an issue is missing the real problems.

Character development: more specifically more accurately translateed from the comics for Storm and Cyc will only endear them to the audiances.

16. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Well...this should be Jean Grey's story first and foremost. Then, Cyclops...and then the rest. Nightcrawler should obviously come after since he formed the new starter pack trio with the other 2. Storm and Quicksilver are the secondary Power Rangers. Beast would be on comms most of the time. Mystique is their gym teacher, whilst Xavier gets weird to put it lightly according to the story being adapted.

17. Erik Lensherr Registered

The new Legion poster reminds me of Dark Phoenix and Wolverine by Greg Land from X-Men Endsong #3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. SumT Registered

Gambit, Rogue and Storm are x-men too. And what overgeneralization? Im talking about the same thing as you: character development.

for the X-Men. Most of them, not just 2.

And about this movie... Id bet money Xavier and Mystique once again will get better material than Storm, Beast and Nightcrawler. And this is a problem. Mystique wasnt even in the comics storyarc, neither in the 90s tv adaptation. Phoenix saga should have Jean and Scott as the leads, with Storm coming third, since she's the other most important X-Men, was in the comics storyline in pretty decent role, and... the character needs development after her poor introduction in the previous movie. Beast needs better material too. Mystique should be below these core X-Men.

19. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Hopefully those concerns would be handled once Marvel Studios gets the rights.

At this point, I have to agree with those people who said that we should stop complaining. Under Fox, our concerns won't be heard anyway. Its like barking to a rock that is Simon Kinberg. Anyway 2019 is just 9 months away.

#969 psylockolussus, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  20. SumT Registered

Im not expecting the first Marvel Studios x-men movie until at least 2021, so that seems like a very long time right now.

and even that date seems a bit soon, if we take into account that for that to happen Marvel would have to give it the greenlight next year, and honestly I dont see Feige quickly announcing their X-Men movie, and getting a writer/director next year. It would be a bit rushed, so I guess it would take more time, probably around 3 years between announcement-release.

21. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

If Fox couldn't fully service characters like Cyke, Psylocke, Jubilee, Storm, Rogue, Angel, Kitty, Beast in multiple films in the last 17 years... They likely won't do it in the next 18 months. This franchise is basically near its finish line.

And 2021 is just less than 4 years and 3 years after Dark Phoenix plagues theaters.

22. fobi Registered

Finally! Lol

23. DACrowe Registered

You do know how this works right? Most major blockbusters have reshoots and reedits months out. Dark Phoenix seems earlier than usual, but it also completed (relative to its release date) earlier than usual. So it might be further along in editing. But just a head's up, every MCU movie has had reshoots. It is just the nature of blockbusters as they become more and more corporate these days, lest they are made by Christopher Nolan or Steven Spielberg.

24. DACrowe Registered

I'd wager a guess that if the Disney-Fox deal goes through without a hitch, we won't see an X-Men movie until at least 2022. If the deal hits any kind of snag, and it could, it could be much, much later.

I am in no hurry to wait that long for an X-Men movie, when there are two coming out this year. If Dark Phoenix sucks, maybe I'll join your camp but until then...

25. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Even if it takes ten years from now, I don't think it can be worse than what we are about to witness from Fox this year, but that's just me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.