X-Men: Dark Phoenix News and Speculation Thread - Part 9

Discussion in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' started by Thread Manager, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lip Registered

If the concern is quality over quantity, I don't mind waiting. I don't mind waiting two years for another season of GoT if the result is satisfying.

The problem for me is how FOX could delay the Marvel X-Men movies. I know I'm going to have to wait a while to see them, but FOX approach can interfere, that's why I don't know what is worse: Dark Phoenix having two parts or not.

On one hand, if DP is a standalone, I don't think they'd have the time to push another movie before the merge. On the other hand, if something goes wrong and delay even more the merge, FOX could have that time. In that scenario I think it would be better if DP was two parts because they'd have the time to release the second one, which would delay a Marvel movie, but it wouldn't delay as much as if they'd start developing another one.

That's, of course, from the perspective of someone who just want to rip off the band-aid already.

2. sleekstereo Registered

IMO, the more screenings the better. Make this movie as great as possible after Apocalypse.

3. SumT Registered

constantly changing a movie because of what people at screenings are saying, imo, is telling us the director/producers dont have a f*** clue about what they wanted.
    I know this is how most blockbusters work, but from the art perspective, its a mess and lacks integrity. But thats me

4. Jh7058622 Registered

First you're making false equivalencies. Just because someone is the most developed doesn't always mean they will be the most popular. In the beginning of his X-Men run Wolverine had no backstory just a grizzled **** talking burly man but his persona even though he wasn't in every scene and more importantly his power set was what made him a fan favorite. Mystique from the original trilogy though she spoke maube a half a page of dialogue was still seen as a fan favorite for her sexy mysterious look to her cool action scenes. To put it simple people aren't always invested in a character because of his/her screen time or importance to th plot.

Btw Storm had no story arc in TDPS. She was very background and basically was just used for her powers. This was important though in that it showed she viewed Jean as a sister but it did not go into detail outside of her just saying it.

5. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

If the foundation isbad, test screenings won't save it.

6. psyonic X-Man

If Raven was made into a central character over the real X-Men then anything is possible, it's up to the writers and studios to do something about it.. I also think it's the writer's fault for making FC it set in the 60s and it really limited their usage of the central X-Men characters already established. Apocalypse shouldn't have happened in the 80s.

7. StarLord < < < < < < <

:up:

Rebecca Romijn's Mystique is my fav character of the OT.

8. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

It should have been set in the present times.

9. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Blockbuster films are large investments for a studio, so this is done to protect the investment. If the film doesn't make money, then we don't get sequels, etc. Blade Runner 2049 is a great movie, but it lost a sizeable amount of money given the poor BO returns. From an art perspective, it's a great achievement and won a couple of Oscars, but we're never going to see Blade Runner 3. In the case of something like Blade Runner, that is probably fine if no more are made, but would you have wanted the X-Men to be a one off?

I get wanting to make sure your art's integrity is maintained, but at the same time, film is a business and I understand that aspect of it also.

#984 Spider-Fan, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  10. Charzhin0 Registered

Kinberg should fly out all the active members from this board to the test screenings lol.

11. SumT Registered

I get all your points, believe me. But just taking into account the franchise history and how Bryan and Simon have treated half the X-men... it makes you wonder what exactly did they ask the viewers at previous screenings, and do they read what the fanbase think about the franchise?

my conclussion after these 18 years is one of these two:

- they read the net, and know how fans feel, but they dont give a damm
    - they dont read anything and think their approach is perfectly fine, so they dont understand why their franchise isnt reaching Avengers or even Captain America numbers, or Wonder Woman.

In both cases, they are f*** up, lol. At least to me

12. Davidstorm Registered

I hope that after the test session today, these sources bring us news about the film

13. SumT Registered

this week I read a tweet or something that said in the December screening the movie was a B, not an A, so thats why they are doing another screening this month.

This supports that previous word of the movie being better than Apocalypse but not as good as Dofp (and I guess X2 too). So if all of this is true, Kinberg still hasnt done a better movie than X2 (a movie from 15 years ago) and Dofp (a movie from 4 years ago).
    I guess fifth time's a charm :whatever:

14. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

I think I do recall an interview a while back... where Bryan Singer said his one piece of advice to Ratner when he took over as director on X3 was "Whatever you do, do not read the Internet while making this movie. They were cursing me out the whole time. You can't please everybody"

15. Jh7058622 Registered

What th are you talking aboutm those films are two of the best CBMs in history. If he was even close to being as good as those movies he did a great job for a first time writer director combo.

16. SumT Registered

constant excuses is all I read.
    excuses, excuses, excuses..... He has been involved with this franchise since 2005. That means 13 years.
    1 3 Y E A R S. If after all this time he cant make an awesome X-Men movie with most of the X-Men having a good role, then he's not worthy of this franchise. period.

17. Jh7058622 Registered

Yep I think it should have always started with the original 5 X-Men and they would have never painted themselves into this corner. That being said it wasn't Kinbergs fault this was the case. It was a problem he inherited. He made a few of his own (killing off Emma Frost off screen) but he didn't have control over the cluster **** of a line-up made by FC.

18. SumT Registered

wasnt he a producer of First Class too?
    so yeah, its part of his fault then.
    its funny how with any critic to Kinberg, the arguments change just to deffend him:

oh, he was only the writer, it was the director fault.
    oh, he was only the producer, its not his fault.
    oh, he wasnt the unique writer of that movie, it wasnt his fault
    oh, studios are really controlling and demanding, it wasnt his fault

conclusion: never its his fault. Kinberg is just the biggest victim of the franchise, and everyone else involved are the evil. :funny:
    anyway...

oh, and of course, if a spinoff is highly recieved with critics and boxoffice, and he was a producer, then its thanks to him.
    but if the movie he produced its X-Men, no, its not his fault :funny: See the pattern?
    well.... no more words needed.

#993 SumT, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  19. fobi Registered

You guys don't get tired about arguing over the same thing? Lol

20. SumT Registered

thats like asking do cbm fans get tired of going to cbm boards?
    we are all here, so there you have the answer. ;)

21. Jh7058622 Registered

Over dramatic much? Again he doesn't have to make the best movie in history to make a great hit film. If you read that as an "excuse" you aren't being realistic.

22. Nintendo Man Thing

My last post in here got deleted for no good reason, so I'll ask again...

Has anyone heard or seen rumors of this being a 2 part film other than Jon Schnepp from Collider mentioning this on at least 2 occasions? He's not known to make things up and he says that is what he "keeps hearing".

23. Jh7058622 Registered

Pay attention and stop going off into tangents maybe you'll start understanding. I've always said most things have been committee based so he didnt always have the final say. This film is different, he seems to have complete creative control so good or bad it all falls on him. You wouldn't blame one actor for a film flopping at the box office in an ensemble as much as you would a star vehicle one would you?

Even in that message I said he's made blaring mistakes. Just that that was not one of them.

24. SumT Registered

with quotes like those, Im sure the mods wont consider it "normal"
    so be careful, its all I'll say.

25. JP Smelly

I hate Kinberg, but testing the movie is a smart movie and a good sign. Can’t believe you’re making me defend him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.