X-Men First Class v.s Captain America TFA

The difference is the story in First Class was better served by it happening. The Magneto/Xavier breakup is far more effective if Magneto's actions results in Charles being broken. Having it occur at a later time would weaken the impact of the event. It belonged in First Class, which was ultimately a story of the origin of the X-Men and Brotherhood.

Captain America on the other hand is essentially two stories. One about the origin of Captain America and then a second about him being frozen and waking up in the present. The latter is just tacked onto the end of the first and it doesn't mesh well, with the latter being tremendously shortchanged.

Back to Mystique, Magneto is offering her what she wanted from her very first scene in the film (as an adult). He is the only one in the entire film who accepts her for what she is (aside from maybe the villain Shaw, whom she had little interaction with). She was in a position where she had to make a choice, and she was still going to stay with Charles for his sake even though her heart wanted otherwise. Just because you wouldn't have listened to Charles in the same situation, doesn't mean other people wouldn't. Given what we learned about her character in the preceding two hours, that was the decision that the character should make. Her abandoning Erik for Charles is what would have been out of character.

Marvel had to get Cap into the present. FOX had to get Xavier into a wheelchair. Both events were rushed, but Marvel had a much better reason for doing so.

Rushed? I strongly disagree. Did the movie NEED to end with Charles in a wheelchair? No, it could have just as easily ended with him not being paralyzed and been just as strong. But the way it happened felt natural to the story as he literally got it from Erik by accident as Erik was planning to slaughter hundreds of people. In fact, I see another poster said they wished it was more heroic, I don't see how it could be much more considering he saved countless lives by fighting Magneto over it.

I don't really care about continuity errors per se. Filmmakers will do whatever works best for their movie first every time. The scene worked very well in XFC. The entire second half of Captain America did not work. It honestly would have been better if they confined the story to a few months instead of years if they were going to truncate it so much, because they ended up with something that felt half-hearted. At least that is what the pace would lead one to believe.

Xavier's accident was rushed? LOL seriously?

The whole damn movie was rushed, IMO. Should have been a reboot and should have been just the story of how Erik and Charles came together. Maybe have the Shadow King as the antagonist in the film. Save the school founding for the sequel.

To me, the Erik/Charles conflict works best as one that is solely philosophical in nature. Erik being responsible for Charles' paralysis doesn't add anything of value to the relationship. I think a better ending would have left a healthy Charles saying good bye to his sister on the beach. It's nitpicking a fine film, but that's what this thread is for.

I would have liked to have seen more of Cap in WWII, but I understand the need to get Rogers to the fireworks factory. And the first half was so terrific it carried me the rest of the way. I would have also liked to have seen more of the actual First Class - a big chunk of their appearance on screen was "montaged" as well - but I can understand why Magneto's story was Vaughn's focus.

I wonder if we're going to have a similar debate next year. Cap is off to an early lead with a brilliant trailer - let's see what Singer's got for us tomorrow.

There was nothing rushed about CA.They can (and I'm guessing eventually will) revisit the WW II era eventually.(Baron Zemo!)

As for FC,in a way it did feel rushed to me,but I think not to have Charles disabled that way would've lessened the impact of the films conclusion.So I can't hold it against them,but I think it might've been handled better.

The whole damn movie was rushed, IMO. Should have been a reboot and should have been just the story of how Erik and Charles came together. Maybe have the Shadow King as the antagonist in the film. Save the school founding for the sequel.

The only thing that felt rushed in First Class was how fast Charles/Erik became *solid friends* that both of them had a big impact in their lives.

Last edited:
Voted Cap. I remember watching the TWS trailer and thinking, "Good luck topping that x-men". And I don't think it did.
However I have to add, I saw the leaked trailer for DOFP so without any new footage, it was impossible for me to get excited even if it was in HD.
I would rule my voted voided, but what ever. I'm a comic nerd so I'm happy for both films. :)

Xavier's accident was rushed? LOL seriously?
I think his accident was rushed. So was the Magneto cloak/outfit. They didn't have to shoe horn that in. Xavier hand been on a handful of his own personal adventure before he was paralyzed. Would have been nice to see a mobile Xavier for at least one more movie.

BTW: like your sig. Would love to see Fox follow those ideas for sequels. :word:

Charles' accident wasn't rushed... it was just terribly convenient. It would have made for a brighter happier X-Men: DOFP... but I'm not sure that was the goal. It does seem incredibly short sighted to do a prequel and set things up perfectly for the original series and then later decide, oh, we want a prequel sequel.

Cap:TFA was definitely two stories. There is a definite change in everything from the time that Captain America brings back the soldiers to when he's facing the 50's sci-fi version of Hydra. That slid into the whole freezing thing, but there was a big shift from being a 50's movie to being a 50's movie movie, and it hurt the cohesiveness of the film. We didn't revisit the heart of the film until after Steve crashed.

DrCosmic said:
Charles' accident wasn't rushed... it was just terribly convenient. It would have made for a brighter happier X-Men: DOFP... but I'm not sure that was the goal. It does seem incredibly short sighted to do a prequel and set things up perfectly for the original series and then later decide, oh, we want a prequel sequel.

There was no guarantee that it would be popular enough to get a sequel. Remember that the previous two films in the franchise were universally panned. First Class rescued the brand from the scrap heap.

cap
shouldn' this thread be in the marvel films forum since it concerns two marvel series

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"