Xbox Xbox Series X Thread

Just mentioned in the Gears of War thread that the campaign DLC for next week looks really good and is free on game pass ultimate. Great sign if other future first party DLCs will be included on it too.

I gave up trying to get one this time of year my dad always gives me a check for xmas and one for my bday in May. Ill just use those towards one when by then they should be in stock.

I gave up trying to get one this time of year my dad always gives me a check for xmas and one for my bday in May. Ill just use those towards one when by then they should be in stock.
Hopefully they will get good stocks in towards the beginning of next year.

yeah it was those checks (100 for xmas 50 for b day) that helped me get my last Xbox One X last summer (fallout 76 bundle model that I still have).

Sounds like a plan.

Yakuza 3-6 remastered are coming to game pass.

What was that about Ark 2 as a console exclusive? Any idea how long for?

Heads up!

Looks like Best Buy might be restocking Series X/S and PS5s tomorrow, 12/15/20, starting at 8AM CST. For online orders-store pickup, no walk-ins.

If anyone is still trying to get a new console, hope you'll get a chance this time.

Best Buy announces PS5, Xbox Series X restock for tomorrow

I got one today from Best Buy to be picked up on Saturday. Curbside pick up only to kill the bots. Good job by Best Buy there. Took me about 45 minutes of refreshing until the add to cart finally lit up. Then around 30 minutes in queue until it was suddenly in my cart. Excited!!

I got one today from Best Buy to be picked up on Saturday. Curbside pick up only to kill the bots. Good job by Best Buy there. Took me about 45 minutes of refreshing until the add to cart finally lit up. Then around 30 minutes in queue until it was suddenly in my cart. Excited!!
Congrats man! Hope you enjoy it. It's a beast console. :cwink:

Nice!! Congrats and enjoy!!

Well, this is a big bummer. :(

Even though I was able to order a Series X from Walmart during yesterday's drop, after analyzing my current TV setup, I realized I had overlooked a major issue.

I simply don't enough HDMI 2.1 ports for both the PS5 and Series X! Even though my new Sony tv has 2 HDMI 2.1 ports, one of those is also the eARC port through which I'm connecting my soundbar. However, my soundbar does NOT support HDMI 2.1 passthrough, and it looks like no current soundbars do, either.

Looks like I could hook up my soundbar via optical, but then I'd be losing out on some of the integrated functionality between my soundbar and TV, which I like. Also, from what I understand, optical doesn't allow you to take full advantage of the audio quality or newer audio tech like eARC/ARC does.

I also looked at receivers with HDMI 2.1 passthrough. Seems like there are a few on the market now, but there also seems to be a bug with HDMI 2.1 where it won't allow the full bandwidth. And it seems to still be unresolved with the Series X. And it could be a hardware issue, so who knows if software updates will fix it. And even if the new receivers did work properly, that would mean spending an additional $400+ on the receiver, plus new speakers which have to be wired.

So, just from a practical point of view based on my current setup and technology, it looks like I am going to have to pass on the Series X for now. Waiting for the rest of the HDMI 2.1 tech to catch up is yet another reason for me to wait at least several more years.

However, even then, now I know that I will still need to buy new equipment in the future if I want to hook up multiple HDMI 2.1 devices to my tv, be it a new soundbar with HDMI 2.1 passthrough or even a new tv with more than 2 HDMI 2.1 ports. So, that would mean spending even more money in addition to the cost of the console. And that kind of changes the whole equation for me.

Even if Series X offers something that does interest me game-wise in a few years, I may just stick with one new gen console (PS5) until I am ready for my next big tv/tech upgrade.

Sigh..........guess this is one of the downsides to adopting new tech early. :(

Well, this is a big bummer. :(

Even though I was able to order a Series X from Walmart during yesterday's drop, after analyzing my current TV setup, I realized I had overlooked a major issue.

I simply don't enough HDMI 2.1 ports for both the PS5 and Series X! Even though my new Sony tv has 2 HDMI 2.1 ports, one of those is also the eARC port through which I'm connecting my soundbar. However, my soundbar does NOT support HDMI 2.1 passthrough, and it looks like no current soundbars do, either.

Looks like I could hook up my soundbar via optical, but then I'd be losing out on some of the integrated functionality between my soundbar and TV, which I like. Also, from what I understand, optical doesn't allow you to take full advantage of the audio quality or newer audio tech like eARC/ARC does.

I also looked at receivers with HDMI 2.1 passthrough. Seems like there are a few on the market now, but there also seems to be a bug with HDMI 2.1 where it won't allow the full bandwidth. And it seems to still be unresolved with the Series X. And it could be a hardware issue, so who knows if software updates will fix it. And even if the new receivers did work properly, that would mean spending an additional $400+ on the receiver, plus new speakers which have to be wired.

So, just from a practical point of view based on my current setup and technology, it looks like I am going to have to pass on the Series X for now. Waiting for the rest of the HDMI 2.1 tech to catch up is yet another reason for me to wait at least several more years.

However, even then, now I know that I will still need to buy new equipment in the future if I want to hook up multiple HDMI 2.1 devices to my tv, be it a new soundbar with HDMI 2.1 passthrough or even a new tv with more than 2 HDMI 2.1 ports. So, that would mean spending even more money in addition to the cost of the console. And that kind of changes the whole equation for me.

Even if Series X offers something that does interest me game-wise in a few years, I may just stick with one new gen console (PS5) until I am ready for my next big tv/tech upgrade.

Sigh..........guess this is one of the downsides to adopting new tech early. :(
Sounds like a right pain. I wish it was easier combining tech like this.

Sounds like a right pain. I wish it was easier combining tech like this.
It is a pain. It's also another reason why I feel both of these new consoles should have released next year instead. The "supporting" tech just isn't quite there yet.

You figure, since both these consoles were planned for launch this year, that there would be more HDMI 2.1 compat tech to coincide with the new consoles. Also, I don't know why the tv manufacturers don't just include a separate ARC/eARC port so that you won't have to waste a valuable HDMI port just for the soundbar.

I probably should have stuck to my original intent of buying a new tv next Spring, because the newer models next year will likely have more HDMI 2.1 ports. However, I was able to setup my media room now, much sooner than I had originally planned. And there was a decent Black Friday sale on this Sony tv. So I just went for the new tv now to complete my media room (which has turned out quite nice). And I needed the tv in place so I'd be able to arrange everything in their final places (instead of having to rearrange later on). The Sony tv had 2 HDMI 2.1 ports (instead of just one in the Samsung model). I figured that would be enough, but I forgot the soundbar uses up one of those ports.

Oh well. The tech will catch up eventually. But this just gives me another reason to hold off on the Series X for the time being. And the longer I hold off, the less likely I'll be to get one. There will have to be some game that I see on the Series X that I feel I must absolutely play that would warrant buying the console and additional equipment to be able to play the console (for example, Demon's Souls Remake ended up making the PS5 worth it just for that one game alone).

But this is just yet another sign for me to stick with one new gen console. And right now, I'm glad I chose the PS5 first (and was able to get the PS5 first).

If the situation had been reversed, and I had been able to get the Series X first and have that all hooked up, and now I was looking to add the PS5 but finding that there are major tech/cost barriers to do so, then I would be EXTREMELY ******!!

Last edited:
Great for RTS fans but I wonder if any of these will make it to XSX. Consoles have mouse support these days and Command & Conquer and Halo Wars worked well on the 360. Turn based strategy also works fine on console and Gears Tactics is a good recent example following in the footsteps of XCom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"