XCOM reboot coming to 360 and Windows

The remember it by name and fame, not because i ever played it.

Hell, i´m as old as time, i still remember the game that served as inspiration to XCom, Lazer Squad.

I've never played the X-Com games before, but I'm pretty sure this new game has no connection with that series from what little I know about both. This is a first person shooter set in the 1950's with some kind of paranormal theme. The other X-Com was an isometric view RPG/Strategy series that involved aliens and carried a futuristic sci-fi theme.

If, for some reason, this is actually supposed to have something to do with the other X-Com game series, then the developers have failed miserably in capturing anything even closely resembling it. If their goal was to do what Bethesda did in Fallout 3, then they've failed at that too, since Fallout 3 was still very much a Fallout game but with a different view and combat. There's nothing here that ties it to the other X-Com series, so if their expectation is that people will see this as somehow connected to it then they have failed at that as well. I can only assume that this developer liked the name "X-Com" and didn't realize it was taken.

Every time I think of XCOM it gives me the chills, the kind that come from standing witness to the corruption and destruction of your world as you stand powerless to prevent it. I’m pleased to announce today that we will be bringing this experience to an even broader audience when XCOM comes to the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC in March 2012.

Multi-plat now.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/713197/xcom-release-date-revealed/

The video shown of this at least years E3 looked boring as all heck...

Ooooh... Black Space Ink... Run...

I've never played the X-Com games before, but I'm pretty sure this new game has no connection with that series from what little I know about both. This is a first person shooter set in the 1950's with some kind of paranormal theme. The other X-Com was an isometric view RPG/Strategy series that involved aliens and carried a futuristic sci-fi theme.

If, for some reason, this is actually supposed to have something to do with the other X-Com game series, then the developers have failed miserably in capturing anything even closely resembling it. If their goal was to do what Bethesda did in Fallout 3, then they've failed at that too, since Fallout 3 was still very much a Fallout game but with a different view and combat. There's nothing here that ties it to the other X-Com series, so if their expectation is that people will see this as somehow connected to it then they have failed at that as well. I can only assume that this developer liked the name "X-Com" and didn't realize it was taken.

I always read "re-imagined" as a rosy way of saying "violated and dumbed down".

Money is in consoles, not pc. Isometric view RPG/Strategy do not work well on consoles and generally do not appeal to the console user-base outside of handhelds. What do Xbox360 users predominantly play? Shooters. So, they make it a shooter, with light tactical elements (but make it accessible as possible) and slap the name on.

It's funny, because shooters for consoles used to be a very obscure genre that did not sell well. It was not until the N64 that there were any console shooters that actually became big hits, and even then shooters weren't that big because most gamers were on Playstation, which barely had any shooters worth mentioning. It wasn't until Xbox 360 overtook the Playstation brand, because Xbox 1 was always "the shooter console," and once "the shooter console" became the popular console shooters became exponentially more popular.

It's not like this is the first time a genre has dominated the industry-- does anyone remember the fighting game craze of the '90s, and the hundreds of crappy Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat clones it spawned? Games like Double Dragon and Street Fighter got "re-imagined" as fighting games even though they were originally action games, just because the publishers wanted to cash in on the genre's popularity. As they say, history repeats itself.

He explains: "The '90s generation of gamers all love Xcom and we own the IP, so we thought OK, what do we do with it? Every studio we had wanted to do it and each one had its own spin on it. But the problem was that turn-based strategy games were no longer the hottest thing on planet Earth. But this is not just a commercial thing - strategy games are just not contemporary.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/interview-christophhartmann-2kgames/082216
“I use the example of music artists. Look at someone old school like Ray Charles, if he would make music today it would still be Ray Charles but he would probably do it more in the style of Kanye West.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/interview-christophhartmann-2kgames/082216

X-Com has been more then a Isometric game in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"