Xena: Warrior Princess Comeback?

Look NBC guy, lemme tell you something about Xena....you don't touch Xena without Lucy being involved bts and in front of the screen.

Have her be Athena and let her have a bigger presence and influence on the character.

I'm up for a reboot as long as they:

- Drop the campiness. The original was far too silly which really clashed with the more mature stories they were trying to tell in the later seasons.

- Be open about the whole lesbian angle instead of just dancing around it. We all know what they were really doing around that campfire. :drl:

- Have better action scenes. It was pretty sad when the original show had the sidekick upstaging the lead hero when it came to fight choreography.

- Keep Gab's costume when she was using the sais. The one with the orange short shorts and leather top with the exposed back. I liked that one. :hmr:

- Don't kill the same villains over and over and over and over. It got really tedious when thats all the psycho blonde and the creepy hag ever did.
I think the action changed after ms. lawless had an back injury while promoting the show .

Javier Grillo-Marxuach (LOST, The Middleman, currently The 100) is writing. :up:

The actress is going to be hard to find. If this gets made it is also going to be hard topping Xenas original outfit.

I second not bringing back Callisto and Alti 90 million times. They should have gone with their original plan of making Najara the next big bad. And this should definitely be Nu-BSG to the old show's original BSG, if they can pull it off.

The writer/creator of The Middleman + Xena: Warrior Princess = AWESOMENESS!

Now, if NBC would only realise that it would be beneficial for them to return Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Connor to their original roles as Xena and Gabrielle, even if it's only temporary, to help launch the rebooted series, this will be something to get VERY excited about.

Thankfully, Javier knows all about the sci-fi and fantasy tropes of time travel, alternate realities and parallel dimensions so there is no reason why we couldn't see the original Xena and Gabrielle while at the same time introducing either a younger Xena or a new "Warrior Princess" to lead the rebooted series.

Xena Reboot Series to Turn Implied Homoerotic Undertones into Glorious Homoerotic Overtones

Since time immemorial (the dawn of film, or so), popular fiction has cloaked its queer characters beneath several layers of innuendo, insinuation, and subtext. The machinery of Hollywood spent years in fear of any characters that could slightly rock the mainstream public’s boat, leaving writers with no choice but to embed subtle hints and suggestions to homoeroticism in their work that would be identifiable to the right viewers, but not the hand-wringing censors. (Todd Haynes’ recent, perfect Carol is a feature-length deconstruction of this practice.) The seminal ’90s TV series Xena: Warrior Princess often teased viewers with tantalizing implications that the lead (Lucy Lawless) and her charge Gabrielle (Renee O’Connor) may have shared a little something more than experiences on the battlefield together, but with an upcoming reboot of the fantasy-adventure, that will all change.

NBC has ordered a new Xena pilot from writer Javier Grillo-Marxuach, architect behind the CW’s cult hit The 100, and he plans to be a little more forthcoming about the undeniable chemistry between Xena and Gabrielle with this updated iteration. During a Q&A session on Tumblr, Grillo-Marxuach confirmed that the two women would be lovers, no bones about it:

i am a very different person with a very different world view than my employer on the 100 - and my work on the 100 was to use my skills to bring that vision to life. xena will be a very different show made for very different reasons. there is no reason to bring back xena if it is not there for the purpose of fully exploring a relationship that could only be shown subtextually in first-run syndication in the 1990s. it will also express my view of the world - which is only further informed by what is happening right now - and is not too difficult to know what that is if you do some digging.

His passing reference to differing worldviews alludes to a minor kerfuffle among devotees of The 100 following the death of fan-favorite character Lexa, who was in a relationship with the also-female Clarke prior to her untimely demise. Fans cried foul and the choice to extinguish one of the small lights of hope for LGBTQ viewers on television, and Grillo-Marxuach has evidently heard their pleas loud and clear. This new series—the fate of which is still something of question mark, considering that NBC is still far from ordering it to series—will right past wrongs and placate the fans in one fell swoop. And best of all, it’ll provide young viewers with a hero with whom they can identify.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/03/xena-gabrielle-lovers

I think I am only half-joking when I say they felt the need to do an overt lesbian relationship to bolster the appeal of doing a reboot of Xena. In the wake of the controversy over Lexa's death on The 100 I don't blame them for coming out :-)D) right away they will not be subtexting this like the previous series.

I wonder if this will be like Game of Thrones and whether there will be actual lesbian sex in this.

Being this is NBC I don't know how far they will go with showing sex scenes but it will probably be more than what ABC or CBS would.

It seems more suited now to a cable channel. Which channel is GoT on?

Do you want something like this for the theme music again (upon which it was based)?

[YT]hVqrW-fPOQ0[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"