XFL 2020 Season

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Captain Bryan, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Captain Bryan Mariya Takeuchi

The XFL will be kicking off it's inaugural (I guess?) season in just over a month.
    [​IMG]

I'm excited for one last shot at spring football, because I'm sure if this fails it'll be another 20 years or more before anyone tries it again..

I'm personally choosing to root for the St. Louis BattleHawks, since they are closest to me geographically and because they have the best helmets in the league.

East:

DC Defenders:
    [​IMG]
    New York Guardians:
    [​IMG]
    St. Louis BattleHawks:
    [​IMG]
    Tampa Bay Vipers:
    [​IMG]
    West:
    Dallas Renegades:
    [​IMG]
    Houston Roughnecks:
    [​IMG]
    Los Angeles Wildcats:
    [​IMG]
    Seattle Dragons:
    [​IMG]

I'm really hoping they can put together a good product and avoid any crazy issues like the AAF ran into. I think the AAF was on it's way to being successful, they just needed more time to start turning a profit. It sounds like Vince McMahon understands that it will take some time and is willing to put some money in to get things going.

What do you guys think? Are any of you excited for this? What team are you backing and why?

2. famicommander Registered

I give them three seasons at the most.

This coming from a longtime fan of the CFL, the AFL (RIP... again), XFL 1.0, the AAF, NFL Europe, the UFL...

The original XFL had by far the worst product of any of those leagues. I have no idea why McMahon thinks reviving a brand name associated with terrible football and financial failure is a good idea.

What most of those leagues prove is that minor league football doesn't sell in major league markets. LA barely cares about the Rams and they don't care about the Chargers at all, but people think the XFL team will be supported? They'll be lucky to pull what the old LA Avengers used to pull indoors at Staples.

Fans who want offseason football are better off supporting the CFL.

Not only is the CFL guaranteed to still exist in a few years, but it's also a unique spin on the sport. The XFL, NFL Europe, AAF, UFL... they're all more or less the NFL game, except with worse players. There's no hook.

The CFL has been around forever and the AFL lasted over 3 decades because they can sell themselves as the best version of Canadian Football or Arena Football instead of the second-best traditional football league.

3. Dr. Evil Registered

Three seasons is wishful thinking. I do think it will last the entire first season, therefore lasting longer than the AAF.

4. famicommander Registered

Vince has already sunk 400 million dollars into this league. That should be enough for at least two seasons even if it loses crazy money (which it will).

When I say three seasons it's not because I expect any measure of success. It's because I think it will take the crazy old bastard that long to admit he ain't making that half a billion back.

5. Captain Bryan Mariya Takeuchi

XFL has published its rules for the 2020 season.

XFL Rules

6. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

There is like one or two good ideas, in a sea of ****. :funny:

7. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Because before the AAF happened, they wanted to buy the XFL name off of Vince. That is where this idea came from.

That said, this isn't the worst idea ever. One of the things about live television now, is in the commercial space live sports are one of the few things not losing out to DVR like crazy. The XFL does not need the incredible ratings it needed to back in the day to survive. They get decent ratings, they can get a very large contract out of it, not unlike the WWE. That said, I expect this to fail, but it has a chance.

Also the second best traditional football league is college football.

8. famicommander Registered

The CFL is much higher quality football than the NCAA. That's neither here nor there in terms of enjoyment, but the talent level is much higher overall.

Because the AAF idiots thought it might be smart is not a good reason to do anything. Those guys started up a league without even checking to see if their primary investor actually had any money (which he didn't, which is why the NHL's Hurricanes owner had to get involved after the season started). I followed it from the initial announcement and watched every single game the league put on the field, knowing the whole time they were doomed.

To get the kind of return on investment Vince is going to want for his 400 million dollars, they ABSOLUTELY are going to have to do great ratings. Like, somewhere between NHL and NBA tier ratings plus big crowds.

The AAF actually did better ratings than most predicted but they still didn't last a season because nobody showed up at the gate, and because TV networks correctly predicted that regardless of short term popularity, the long term prospects were not good and thus they weren't willing to invest heavily.

The XFL is counting on markets like Dallas, Houston, LA, New York, Seattle, and DC. They think people in NFL markets are going to pay close to NFL prices to see minor league football, and half the teams play in MLS stadiums or awkwardly repurposed baseball stadiums with garbage sightlines.

People in LA barely care about the Rams and they have never, at any point during their two separate stints in the city, cared at all about the Chargers. There's no way they're going to care about an XFL team in the same stadium.

Ultimately the XFL payscale, despite blatant public lies to the contrary, is lower than the CFL's and barely higher than the AAF's. Multiple players who just got out of their AFL contracts chose the CFL over the XFL because they're scared to get screwed over by another start up league. And, as Josh Johnson found out, the XFL will not let players out of their deals to go back to the NFL, unlike the AAF or AFL.

What you're going to see with the XFL is the exact same quality of football that we saw fail last year in the AAF, and in 2012 with the UFL.

Whatever demand for football there is in the US that isn't being met by the NFL is being met by college football.

Being in the spring is irrelevant because the XFL isn't simply competing with other football options, either. Sports fans in a given city have a finite amount of money to spend on sports. How many are going to choose minor league start up football in mid April rather than playoff stretch NBA or NHL, or early season MLB?

Every single business venture McMahon has ever tried besides the WWE has failed massively. The XFL worst of all.

WWE is profitable because of its TV deals, but even Smackdown on Fox is severely underperforming relative to expectations. Fox told Dave Meltzer they wanted to average about 3.5 million viewers, a number they only hit in their premiere episode.

9. famicommander Registered

Y'all see those goofy OT rules?

10. Dr. Evil Registered

I think College football has the best OT rules.

11. famicommander Registered

They should just play a normal shortened quarter for OT (5-10 minutes) then do sudden death after that if necessary. I don't like any overtime system that strips the game of any of its basic elements.

Shootouts in hockey are a necessary compromise because ties suck, but there are few enough games in a football season that they really should just settle it on the field. I don't like modern 3v3 NHL OT at all. What the NHL should do is get rid of loser points; that would lead to most games being settled in regulation.

12. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

The talent level of college football is much higher. It is just spread out far more. It is infinity better to watch. Who exactly watches the CFL in the US? Looking up the ratings, barely anyone watches them in Canada either. :hehe:

Who said it was a good reason? I most certainly didn't. I just said it was the reason this is happen. Which is true. Meltzer said so.

Vince isn't trying to get a return on his investment. He is trying to make a sustainable league. Which is why he is willing to lose money for a couple of a seasons, to see if he can do it. Vince is vain. This is a vanity project, that because he is so damn rich, he can afford.

Again, who are you arguing with?

If you listen to Meltzer, then you should hear what he said about the chances for XFL to succeed this time around. Great? Nope. Likely to fail? Yep. But a better chance then last time? Most certainly. Doesn't mean it is going to work, but it seems you are really angry over this for some reason. :funny:

13. Dr. Evil Registered

Speaking of the CFL, I have my doubts that the Atlantic Schooners will ever kick off. They will kick off when the Tampa Bay Rays resolve their own stadium issues, which will be never.

14. Perfect Cell I wish you weren't so f***in' awkward, bud

So,

This is not correct. College football is a far higher level of football than the CFL, even as spread out as it is across the NCAA.

But this is also not correct, because the Grey Cup is one of the highest rated television broadcasts in Canada every year. The regular season games are more middling, but they get around 300,000-600,000 viewers a game. Not great, but when you remember our population is 10x less than the States, only the top shows are cracking a million.

There, you're both off. Now make peace and join each other in the brotherhood of watching the CFL, but understanding it's crap.

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  15. Dr. Evil Registered

The NCAA is a much better feeder system for the NFL than the CFL is. All of the NFL's big names came from the NCAA straight to the NFL. Sure, the CFL did lose a few players to the NFL, but they all signed futures deals with no guarantees that they will make an NFL roster. An NCAA player, depending on where he was drafted has a chance to make the roster, especially if he's a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick.

16. Perfect Cell I wish you weren't so f***in' awkward, bud

The CFL is simply a league for players who want to play professionally, but aren't good enough to even make a practice squad in the NFL. Or players from Canadian colleges who would never even get looked at by an NFL scout, much less drafted or signed. There's really no argument for it being better than the NCAA, when it's made up of NCAA second-stringers and lower.

17. Dr. Evil Registered

True. However if a CFL player plays well, they will receive interest from the NFL. In recent days, more CFL players have signed futures contracts with the NFL than taking a risk and signing with the XFL because they know that both leagues will still be around in five years, although I would suspect that in five years, the CFL will still have 9 teams. It would not surprise me at all if the 2025 CFL Season we still have the same 9 CFL teams.

18. famicommander Registered

There may be underclassmen in the NCAA not yet entering the NFL draft that are better than the top CFL players, but on the whole even the best college football teams don't measure up top to bottom against CFL teams. Over 64% of players in the CFL (nearly all the starters; they have rules about how many US born players a team can have, but some Canadian born players also play US college ball) played division I NCAA football and they were all stars on their own teams.

NFL practice squads make $136,000. The CFL minimum is going to be $65,000 next year. The top CFL players can make over $200,000.

It's true that it's not extremely popular in the US but it has managed to survive this long and the Grey Cup is one of the most popular TV events in Canada. It's cool if it's not for you but to disparage the quality of talent in the league is a mistake.

For my money, the CFL is way more fun than college football to watch. College football is literally just the NFL game with worse players, coaches, and refs. At least in the CFL you get to see something different.

19. Perfect Cell I wish you weren't so f***in' awkward, bud

Nah, the Schooners will get a team. They'll just play temporarily in Moncton until the stadium in Halifax is built. However long that takes. The regional council approved $20 million for the stadium, they just have to find a site and lock down the deal. They'll be there by 2023.

Themanofbat likes this.
  20. famicommander Registered

There are well over 100 NCAA Division I schools with over 80 scholarship players each on their rosters feeding into 32 NFL teams with 53 man rosters and 10 man practice squads.

254 per year get drafted. Most of the rest go on to jobs in fields where they make far less than the CFL minimum salary.

Most NCAA Division I rosters are made up of players that would never, ever sniff the field in the CFL. Even Alabama or Clemson will be lucky to place 25% of their current scholarship players in the NFL, let alone your average NCAA roster. The rest of those guys would take a CFL job if it were offered.

21. Perfect Cell I wish you weren't so f***in' awkward, bud

Except they won't, because it would require playing in Canada. They would rather go into coaching, or training, or find another job. It seems your argument gravitates on two points:
    1. That the NFL draft pool is so small compared to the amount of players in the NCAA, so high level talent that just missed being drafted or signed is prime for the picking.
    2. The leftover players automatically gravitate towards the CFL because it pays soooo much better than the other American football leagues or regular jobs.
    I have news for you... they don't. Those players don't come to the CFL. They don't want to play in a foreign country. Those top-end CFL salaries aren't for players that just missed the NFL, they go to the best players they could convince to move to Canada. We can't even get people to stay with the champion Raptors, you think top talent is coming to Canada to play a different form of football for max $750,000 a year? Nah, they'll go be the strength and conditioning coach for Biloxi State or some ****. We get the also-rans.

22. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Most college teams wouldn't probably do the business in the CFL. But the bigger schools and some the big 5 all conference teams would probably own the CFL.

I concede. When I looked it up I saw that the 2018 season's Grey Cup ratings were down a lot, but apparently this past season's went up a cool million. There is a reason why you are Perfect, I am not.

23. Perfect Cell I wish you weren't so f***in' awkward, bud

I once saw a nude gentlemen run down the street after the Argos won the Grey Cup in 2012. And Toronto hasn't given a **** about the Argos since the 90s. The Grey Cup is a different animal. One that lives inside every Canadian.

24. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

The only position that needs proper NFL seasoning is the QB. Though even now that is changing. Top level linemen, linebackers, corners, receivers and running backs are a pretty high level third year in school. Also college football rosters are beastly. Cutting a 100 man roster to 53 or 45 changes the overall quality of play very quickly. Looking at Alabama, over the last 11 seasons, they have had 87 players drafted. If my math is correct, on a three year cycle, that is about 24 NFL draft quality players on their roster. So those are 24 draft NFL quality players, along with the guys you say go to the CFL. And if we are being real, the quality of training and facilities at big time college football programs are another level.

It's not, but beyond that it is by far the second most popular football league in the world, and arguably has the most devoted fanbase in US sports.

25. famicommander Registered

Division I NCAA players get cut from CFL training camps every single year. Again, over half the players in the CFL played NCAA ball, and nearly all the starters.

Any CFL team would beat any NCAA team.

An NCAA all star team would likely crush a CFL all star team.

But LSU gets stomped by Montreal. Tons of highly touted NCAA players flame out in the CFL. Guys who played in all three leagues will say universally that it goes NFL >>>> CFL >>> NCAA.

CFL teams are slightly below NFL practice squad quality in level of play, which is far beyond your average NCAA starter.

Themanofbat likes this.