XFL 2020 Season

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Captain Bryan, Jan 4, 2020.

1. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

This is a very good point. Especially when you consider how many of those guys just end up in high paying jobs to stay at home, where they are legends and don't have to wreck their bodies in the Canadian cold.

2. Perfect Cell I wish you weren't so f***in' awkward, bud.

On turf in the Canadian cold. Only BMO in Toronto has real grass, and it's one of the warmer cities.

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  3. Dr. Evil Registered

By any chance did you ever go to a Division 1 school?

4. famicommander Registered

No

5. Dr. Evil Registered

So no college? DII? DIII? NAIA? Junior College? Community College?

6. famicommander Registered

No. Relevance?

7. Dr. Evil Registered

Explains why you hate college football so much.

8. famicommander Registered

I don't hate college football. All I said was that the CFL is a higher level of play, which it is.

The worst team in the CFL last year (Ottawa) had 6 guys on it who played in regular season NFL games and a dozen more who made it to a preseason game, training camp, or practice squad. Plus five more players that were Division I All Conference.

And some of those guys don't even start.

The Ottawa Redblacks would blow the LSU Tigers out.

Themanofbat likes this.
  9. Dr. Evil Registered

CFL is higher because it's a professional league. All I have been saying is that the NFL prefers the NCAA as a platform to add talent first before the CFL. It doesn't make NCAA talent superior to the CFL, but it does mean that the NCAA is the first line of talent for the NFL instead of the CFL.

10. famicommander Registered

That's not what this was about. Obviously the NFL is going to focus on the NCAA over the CFL when they've already scouted most of the CFL's players in college and there are only 9 CFL rosters to look at to begin with.

What this was about was which league has a higher level of play. That's what my statement was which you and others responded to with these statements:

"Also the second best traditional football league is college football."

"The talent level of college football is much higher."

"This is not correct. College football is a far higher level of football than the CFL, even as spread out as it is across the NCAA."

"The CFL is simply a league for players who want to play professionally, but aren't good enough to even make a practice squad in the NFL. Or players from Canadian colleges who would never even get looked at by an NFL scout, much less drafted or signed. There's really no argument for it being better than the NCAA, when it's made up of NCAA second-stringers and lower."

All of these statements are completely false.

The worst team in the CFL would beat the pants off the best team in college football.

11. Dr. Evil Registered

When I meant traditional, I meant American football. That part is true, College football is the second best American football league behind the NFL.

12. famicommander Registered

You doubled down after that, and "liked" the other guy's posts who was saying the same thing.

13. Dr. Evil Registered

I hope this happens, I really do as it will show major progress for the CFL. They have already resolved the Montreal Ownership situation. This should be next.

14. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

How many of those players were drafted in the first round of the NFL draft? How many of them were drafted at all? How many of them were starters? How many total regular season football games did they start in? How many regular season games did they play?

Also in this fantasy game, does LSU get to use their full roster? Is this game played under NCAA rules? Is played in Baton Rouge? Because 11 inches between the lines is very different then a whole yard. Can a CFL defensive line even handle a top level SEC O Line? Can their O line handle a top class SEC defensive line? How would CFL receivers handle contact past one yard?

I took a quick look at the roster of the champion Winnipeg Blue Bombers. From what saw, their skill players have 693 receiving yards and 17 receptions between them. I think only one guy I saw went to a legit school in Auburn, and that was like a decade ago. Also a lot of Canadians that went to Canadian schools. I believe 21 players of the 45 man rosters need to have lived in Canada for 5 years before their 18th birthday. This is all before we get into coaching, which is... yeah. A huge gulf.

2019 Winnipeg Blue Bombers season - Wikipedia

Give me either of these two teams.

#39 DarthSkywalker, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  15. famicommander Registered

How many skill position players on Clemson right now do you think could play in the NFL right now?

The 2019 Bombers had
    Lucky Whitehead - All Conference USA, played in 30 regular season NFL games
    Rasheed Bailey - been in camp or preseason for 7 different NFL teams
    Kenny Lawler - 7th round NFL draft pick
    Travis Rudolph - 7 NFL regular season games, preseason for 2 other years, All ACC
    Darvin Adams - 2 NFL regular season games, Outback Bowl MVP, college national title
    Zach Collaros - First Team All Big East QB
    Chandler Fenner - 7 NFL regular season games, Super Bowl ring, 4 years in NFL preseason or camps
    Sean McGuire - training camp with 2 NFL teams
    Drew Wolitarsky - All Big Ten
    Janarion Grant - 2 NFL regular season games

That's just at WR, FB, and QB. And not all of those guys even started. And all those guys are better now than they were in college due to years of pro experience.

Like I said, LSU and Clemson might have a few guys per team that are way better than anybody on a CFL roster.

But there's no way LSU has half a dozen receivers that would even come close to getting into an NFL training camp. LSU doesn't have the defensive backs to come close to matching up.

16. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

:lmao:

So, let's do this. If we took the 2017 Clemson Tigers, they'd have 15 future NFL draft picks on them, with 5 first rounders. I am even being kind here, and not going back 4 years, only 3, because the best come out at 3 years. 2017 Ohio State had 23 future NFL drafted players. If we take the 2017 Crimson Tide, they had 32 NFL draftees on that roster.

List of Clemson Tigers in the NFL Draft - Wikipedia

List of Ohio State Buckeyes in the NFL Draft - Wikipedia

List of Alabama Crimson Tide players in the NFL draft - Wikipedia

The point of this exercise is to show at that any given time, the big time schools have 15 to 30 NFL draft quality players on them. That is a lot more talent then the CFL rosters.

My favorite part of this though, is you discount the 21 Canadians on the team, like that isn't almost half the roster. Give me the the 60-70 other players on big time college football programs to spell dem legs.

17. famicommander Registered

You're counting guys who were 19 years old and never saw the field from the 2017 roster, who were backing up guys who didn't get a sniff of the NFL at the time.

I'm sure there are a lot of 18 and 19 year olds on Clemson that will eventually get into the NFL. But that doesn't mean they're good enough now, and if they tried to match up with 26 year olds in the CFL with 3 NFL training camps under their belts they'd get smoked.

18. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Blue Chip prospect could make the pros as freshman. They refine their game in college, get physically better but much like the NBA if they could go straight to the league, a lot of them would.

More over, get rid of the 2019 draft class. That is still more NFL drafted players and more NFL games played then anything you listed. :funny:

Sure, sure, sure... and you base this on what exactly? More over, how are they going to handle those 26 year olds that went to Canadian schools? Also give me a 20 year old at Alabama or Clemson over dude who went to a random state university and then ended up in Canada.

You listed Zach Collaros. Is he better right now then Tua, Lawrence or Burrows? You know the guy who went to Cincinnati, went undrafted and never played and NFL game. While Lawrence would have been the #1 pick as a Freshman last season.

Tell me, who exactly are these guys that went to Canadian schools lining up against?

19. Dr. Evil Registered

If Zach Collaros was to sign with an NFL team right now, his ceiling would be David Blough, Lions QB. I would think that Tua, Lawrence and Burrow would have higher ceilings in the NFL that David Blough.

20. Themanofbat Never Mind the Buttocks...

Re: cold weather football in Canada

A CFL season starts in mid-June with the Grey Cup in November. The cold only comes into play during the playoffs, same as the NFL, unless it's in BC, where the Lions play in a dome.

21. ComicChick I Work Too Much

are there any "big" names in the league yet?

22. Dr. Evil Registered

Nope. The league has said that Johnny Manziel and Trent Richardson are not good enough to play for their league and they have zero interest in Colin Kaepernick. They do have a big name coach though, in Bob Stoops coaching for Dallas. The others are former Seahawks QB and Redskins Head Coach Jim Zorn with Seattle, former Bears and CFL head coach Mark Trestman in Tampa, former CFL, NCAA and NFL head Coach June Jones in Houston, Former Giants OC Kevin Gilbride coaching New York, long time Packers Assistant Winston Moss coaching Los Angeles, former Colts OC Pep Hamilton with DC and former Bengals assistant Jonathan Hayes with St. Louis.

23. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

They said no to Manziel? Goddamn, how that jerk has fallen. Good.

24. ComicChick I Work Too Much

im surprised they said no to him if for only bringing in a name that people know and/or a name people will want to watch to see if he crashes and burns

25. Dr. Evil Registered

The XFL does not believe that Manziel is better than the QB's that they have. The QB's are Landry Jones (Dallas), Cardale Jones (DC), Matt McGloin (New York), Connor Cook (Houston), Josh Johnson (LA), Jordan Ta'Amu (St. Louis), Brandon Silvers (Seattle) and Aaron Murray (Tampa)