Yahoo Poll: Top 10 Words Voters Gave to Describe Candidates

imdaly

- Part 12
Reaction score
Top 10 answers voters gave to describe candidates

The top 10 answers people volunteered when asked to describe presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama, according to an Associated Press-Yahoo! News poll released Monday. Included is the percentage of people who gave each answer. More than one response was allowed.

John McCain:
1. Old, 19 percent
2. Military service, 9 percent
3. Record, qualifications, 8 percent
4. Bush, 7 percent
5. Strength, 7 percent
6. Insider, politician, 7 percent
7. Iraq, terrorism, 6 percent
8. Honest, 5 percent
9. Republican, 5 percent
10. (tie) Moral/good and dishonest, 4 percent

Barack Obama:
1. Outsider, change, 20 percent
2. Lack of experience, 13 percent
3. Dishonest, 9 percent
4. Inspiring, 8 percent
5. Liberal, 6 percent
6, 7 (tie). Obama's race, young, 6 percent
8. Not likable, 5 percent
9. Intelligent, 4 percent
10. Muslim, 3 percent

The AP-Yahoo! News poll of 1,759 adults was conducted from June 13-23 and had an overall margin of sampling error of plus or minus 2.3 percentage points. The poll was conducted over the Internet by Knowledge Networks, which initially contacted people using traditional telephone polling methods and followed with online interviews.
Source

Interesting... :)

Edit: Forgot to add link.

I find it very amusing that more people describe Obama as dishonest than McCain :)

I cant believe 3% of people are actually calling Obama a Muslim. :whatever:

I find it very amusing that more people describe Obama as dishonest than McCain :)

I thought that was pretty interesting as well Hippie. I'm not too surprised about McCain's top comment though.

I do a similar lesson like this when starting my unit on Islam. I write the world "Muslim" on the board and the kids write down the first thing that comes to mind and then we discuss what they've written.

For the most part, TODAY, my students are much more knowledgeable about Islam, and the responses go more toward the positive. Doing this same lesson 5 to 8 years ago, it was 90% negative.

Its all about how much knowledge they have, and honestly, most of America knows very little about Obama. They know next to nothing of his Senate history at the state or federal level. People are voting for "Change", not what they know about Obama. Polls like this show that.

McCain has actually flip-flopped more than Obama but Obama has made his honesty a Campaign issue and when he went back on is word with campaign financing that tarnished his integrity.

He's jsut going to take harder hits than McCain.

McCain has actually flip-flopped more than Obama but Obama has made his honesty a Campaign issue and when he went back on is word with campaign financing that tarnished his integrity.

He's jsut going to take harder hits than McCain.

Perhaps for now, yes. But as the GE approaches expect those hits on McCain to become more frequent--and deeper. McCain has really gotten a free pass on a lot of issues thusfar, and he's wasted these last few months in building a solid platform for himself against Obama.

I too found the "dishonesty" percentage interesting for Obama. Considering how little people know of him anyway, I wonder how much of that dishonesty is attributed to his skin color vs. the issues? :whatever:

I too found the "dishonesty" percentage interesting for Obama. Considering how little people know of him anyway, I wonder how much of that dishonesty is attributed to his skin color vs. the issues? :whatever:

Well, it could also be the Reverand Wright and William Ayers issues, too.:o

Figured that 3/100 would actually go as far as to say "Muslim" when everyone knows Obama's a self-proclaimed Christian. They might as well have just put up "n_____" for Obama. That's clearly what some people were thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"