Yellowjacket

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by Mr. Dent, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Mr. Dent Registered

With Variety possibly letting it slip that Pym will be a/the villain, anyone think it's possible we could see the Yellowjacket persona from Pym? Even though Douglas is old, that doesn't mean he can't do (heavily CGI'ed) action sets. Yellowjacket was the persona Pym had when he was mentally unstable, and if he turns out to be a villain, it would make sense for them to use Yellowjacket to represent that.

2. Ant-manic Registered

I think Variety just misspoke. but it'd be cool to see yellowjacket alluded to.

3. Venom Melendez Registered

There was villain that used the name Yellowjacket though, so they could always use her.

4. Mr. Dent Registered

I don't think they misspoke. The way that happened reminded me of when Deadline accidently reported that Ophelia Lovibond was the Collector's assistant when they first reported her joining the movie and took it down right afterwards.

5. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Except Variety retracted their "villain" comment within hours of the original post and tweeted that Hank Pym was definitely *not* a villain.

i.e.: He's not a villain.

6. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Edgar Wright himself tweeted Hank Pym is the villain and the article was wrong.

Edgar has always said this is Pym's swansong and he is passing the mantle to Lang.

I think having the friendly mentor turn out to be the villain might be too similar to Stane and Tony in Iron Man anyway.

7. Mr. Dent Registered

Maybe not the villain villain, but I can see them butting heads through the course of the film.

8. jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

My excitement for the film is dropping with each piece of news.

9. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

If anything it sounds like Pym may be manipulating Lang going by Edgar's machiavellian comment and movie Pym's spy background. We might expect something similar to Nick Fury manipulating the Avengers.

10. Ant-manic Registered

you weren't excited.

11. Ant-manic Registered

you might want to show the tweet. it would seem to be pretty big news. anyways, it doesn't sound all that much like Stane and Stark. Stane was never Iron Man. he wasn't ever a good guy, either.

12. jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

It is great to find an actual telepath...

except when they are incorrect. I was excited about the project from when Wright announced his pitch or it. The preview footage boosted my excitement, and the news changed it. I was disappointed that one of the founding members/my favorite characters of the Avengers was getting sidelined due to a) making him an older character, thus jettisoning a familiar dynamic b) putting the emphasis on Lang, whom I never cared for.

Do not get me wrong: it will be a good film and I will see it. It just could have been better, is all. It is the same case with IM2: it is a damn good film, except the Crimson Dynamo was rendered in a way I do not like. Does that stop me from watching it? No. I like it more than IM, but feel it could have been a better film.

13. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

14. Ant-manic Registered

thanks. but, after reading it, it seems to me that Wright was saying that Pym isn't the villain. some guy asked him "villain?" and Wright answered that it was misreporting. they probably reported (initially) that Pym was the villain. and someone corrected them. Wright was confirming that a correction needed to be made.

"Director Edgar Wright addresses the villain rumors on his twitter account and said they were false."

#14 Ant-manic, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  15. Ant-manic Registered

i doubt they'd do it. but i could see it being kind of cool to have Pym always lurking in the background of these movies; causing trouble for the Avengers. like imagine if he sabotaged the Ultron project; causing it to go beserk.

#15 Ant-manic, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  16. Ant-manic Registered

i'm not a telepath. but my reading comprehension is decent. what you're reacting to when you said your anticipation was dropping was false. the poster misinterpreted Wright's words.

17. cph9fa Registered

I sort of just assumed that chamber-music (love that name, btw!) had an unfortunate typo when he said that Wright tweeted Pym is the villain; and that he meant to say Wright tweeted Pym isn't the villain. Since the rest of his (c-m's) post seems to be from the viewpoint that Pym isn't a villain (mentioning a Pym's swansong, and saying that the villain route would be to similar).

Anyway, Wright did confirm Pym was not a villain, and the original story did change its headline (I saw the original title linked from facebook). So the only question is whether Wright is being truthful (which I agree with), or whether Dent is correct to suspect a cover-up.

18. Ant-manic Registered

you might be right. but the reason i asked for the link is because jonathancrane took what he said at face value and had a negative response to it.

19. KDM1986 Midnight Sons Founder

I'd love too see the yellow jacket persona eventually but I doubt it's shown in the first outing.

20. Ant-manic Registered

it'd be one way to get around the Pym's an old person stigma. just have the Yellowjacket be a a very sleek strength-enhancing power armor. look at Ultimate Yellowjacket to see what i'm talking about.

21. Marvel Registered

Yeah, but I hope this isn't news at all.

I absolutely love Yellowjacket. He was a personal favorite of mine as a kid. I pray Marvel doesn't taint that by disrepecting the character. I honestly have no idea what the Ultimate Universe did to him because I stopped reading that crap. Old Hank is bad enough...

22. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

So I guess the confusion that Pym was the villain came from the fact his Yellowjacket identity is used by Darren Cross in the film universe.

23. Mike Murdock Registered

Or a rewrite. Or they made it up. It could be honestly anything, it was a rumor from several years ago that was never confirmed.

24. Sockie Registered

Nope, Stoll said he was always going to be Yellowjacket even before Wright left.

25. MbJ Registered

I think they were talking about the rumor of Pym being the main villain.