The Dark Knight Rises You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave it a 7/10. Flawed but enjoyable. They did add in a lot of their own dialogue to the TKJ part of the movie. My favorite was Joker saying the carnival stinks of piss.

What do you guys think of the ending of the story (the comic, I dunno if the movie keeps it the same)? Do you agree with [BLACKOUT]Morrison that Batman kills the Joker[/BLACKOUT]?

What do you guys think of the ending of the story (the comic, I dunno if the movie keeps it the same)? Do you agree with [BLACKOUT]Morrison that Batman kills the Joker[/BLACKOUT]?

Since I didn't know the story wasn't originally meant to be canon until years after reading it, I personally never viewed it that way. However, as a stand-alone that arguably makes the most sense, even if Alan Moore didn't intend it.

I would have loved if they showed the reflection in the puddle but that's about it, it was always left to be ambiguous.

Of all the new releases, Under the Red Hood is still be best one IMO. It did the same thing as Civil War, which is to take a bad comic and turn it into a great film.

And sadly, as far as "new" releases go, Under the Red Hood is already 6 years old.

I agree with you in that I'd like to see more original animated features like Mask of the Phantasm or Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, or more loose adaptations/remakes of classic stories that aren't as strictly translated from the source. I want one of these DTV animated films to surprise me again.

Personally no, since it flies in the face of Batman just saying that he didn't want to hurt Joker, and he was taking him in by the book.

Even the prologue?

I'm curious to hear if there's any defense to be made for it. Personally I found it appalling in terms of a creative choice, and it's so obviously there because only because of Bruce Timm's weird Batman/Batgirl fetish.

But I thought in terms of overall execution, it was one of the better produced DC animated films.

The most I can defend it is that I don't care for it, but it also didn't bother me. I've sat through worse DC animated movies in recent years (and months) so this s*** was nothing.

Come to think of it, I'd rather watch a whole show about that prologue than sit through another crappy Damian storyline which had even worse animation.

TKJ was alright. Bruce/Babs has never bothered me, and it didnt bother me here. My main problem with the prologue is that it belonged in a Timmverse feature, not necessarily TKJ.

And the really should've used the original colors.

Yeah, even continuity wise it's on two different wave lengths. The prologue had modern day tech while when you get to the Killing Joke part, it's back in the feel of the 80s.

Even the prologue?

I'm curious to hear if there's any defense to be made for it. Personally I found it appalling in terms of a creative choice, and it's so obviously there because only because of Bruce Timm's weird Batman/Batgirl fetish.

But I thought in terms of overall execution, it was one of the better produced DC animated films.

Didn't care for the prologue either way, but I loved the Killing Joke itself.

Yeah. I have to say that apart from my major issues with the prologue and the fact that it feels like a separate short, I thought they did a pretty good job overall bringing TKJ to life. It was pretty cool seeing it on the big screen.

The do hope WB Animation is willing to spend the money on original, non-adaptation stories though. The difference between this and some of the recent output was night and day in terms of production value. Now that they've done Year One, TDKR and TKJ, they've kind of tackled the "big 3" in terms of iconic Batman books so I just hope this isn't the last we see of them actually trying and spending some money on these things.

Last edited:
I thought TKJ was average. I gave it 6/10. It's not the worst, it's not the best. It's just there.

Regarding whether Batman killed the Joker in TKJ, perhaps he did, but it is hard to say for sure. Batman laughing at the end could be interpreted as him finally going crazy and the light from the police car, which is reflected in the puddle, might represent Gordon's "by the book". In the end, it is blocked out, which could suggest that Batman did not go that route and killed the Joker. I like the idea of Batman not killing the Joker more though.

Last edited:
[YT]38Cy_Qlh7VM#t=389[/YT]

This video totally nails my beef with Snyder and why his films feel so hollow.

Excellent video. Spot on :up:

[YT]38Cy_Qlh7VM#t=389[/YT]

This video totally nails my beef with Snyder and why his films feel so hollow.

Perfect. I think this explains why Snyder's trailers are always so amazing. I still love the Mos trailer and the promise that it held and remain disappointed in the film that I received. Same goes for BvS. I think I stated it earlier in this thread that the film felt like a series of trailers strung together. A well thought out 2 minute trailer can be great. Watching 2 1/2 hours worth of 'trailers' not so much. Excellent find BatLobsterRises!

Allow me to be completely redundant, gents, and echo the thoughts that have already been expressed, namely that the video BatLobster posted provides an excellent piece of poignant analysis.

I've actually checked out the dude's channel further, and he's got quite a few interesting videos - bonus points for his being a huge Craig Ferguson fan, to boot, much like myself. :woot:

Thanks for sharing, BatLobster. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"