The Dark Knight Rises You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. It should have been cut. They should have waited for The Batman to debut the new batmobile.

The Lex Corp scene would have been so much better as a full scene.

No argument there lol. I was mainly just playing Devil's advocate, lest anyone think we're just being unfair haterz. :wink:

My biggest problem with the scene isn't even the cartoon physics though, but just how empty it feels. No sense of stakes at all. It's a result not only of how the actual chase is executed, but of how it's just plopped into the movie. I would've much preferred a scene of Batman breaking into Lexcorps and stealing the Kryptonite. A Batman 'heist' sequence could've been something different.
But that movie is art.

I'm still not tired of having my fun with the "Marvel makes flavor of the week, this is art" comment.

Anyone think the current political climate makes BvS that much worse?

A rich white guy being dangerously prejudiced against an immigrant on the shaky grounds that he might pose a threat, which is based on poor evidence. He then later gloats about torturing a guy in prison (Lex Luthor).

And we are supposed to find sympathy for this guy?

It really makes this Batman look worse.

The terrible current state of affairs does not influence my view of this movie any more negatively than I viewed it the first time.

Speaking of Trump; it's scarier that he decided to employ military action against Iran now that he is idiotically working on making the economy in US more miserable than it was during the administration of George Bush jr.

You know, I was thinking about Foley. And his characterization in Rises. Specifically in the Batpod chase scene, when he directs the entire police force to go after Batman and let the LOS (and Bane) off the hook. It struck me as over the top and dare I say, poorly written.

But **** it. It's definitely something I can picture modern day Rudy Giuliani pull. Nolan was really prescient (whether by accident or design) on how stupid Americans can be under threat and pressure.

I always felt like that was the point of the character. He represents the ignorant American that's given power, and they just take advantage of that by massaging their ego, looking the other way on important issues, talk down to everyone around them, smart ass who shouldn't be in that position, etc etc. And then when it seems like the guy has an arc and changes (he does)...it's too late. His stupidity/ego early on is what made everything a lot more difficult for everyone else around him. He represents what Gotham has become. The opposite of "Robin", and that's why that character exists in the first place. Blake's eyes are open. Foley's eyes are closed off to the truth and doesn't take action until it hits HIM and his family. Yes, he can be over the top, frustrating (and one-dimensional) but that is the whole point. You're not supposed to like him. And i don't think he was the throw-away character that people say he was. Thought was put into Peter Foley, even if he was a minor character in my opinion.

Interesting that Nolan supposedly offered the role to Treat Williams and ended up with Matthew Modine.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say Foley was representative of an American stereotype at large, only as much as Nolan's Gotham was representative of America as a whole, which in some ways it is. He was characteristic of how those in authority in Gotham specifically had become cynical, myopic, and cowardly in the years of "peace" sans Batman, in his case with the GCPD. As Rises is based heavily on Dark Knight Returns, Foley draws clear inspiration from Commissioner Ellen Yindel in that book, another successor to Gordon who as explicitly anti-Batman. And like Foley, Yindel comes around to Batman after recognizing that even if he is a law-breaking criminal, he has to exist to combat larger forces that the police and citizens could not on their own. That's the Batman effect at play. What's interesting about Foley is that out of all the "good guys" in the film, he's the only one of note who actually dies, and dies pretty unceremoniously off screen.

there was simply no place for hotheads under Foley's jurisdiction

but in a poetic kind of way, Foley was the hothead all along. Lord help that DWP guy.

I wouldn't say Foley was representative of an American stereotype at large, only as much as Nolan's Gotham was representative of America as a whole, which in some ways it is. He was characteristic of how those in authority in Gotham specifically had become cynical, myopic, and cowardly in the years of "peace" sans Batman, in his case with the GCPD. As Rises is based heavily on Dark Knight Returns, Foley draws clear inspiration from Commissioner Ellen Yindel in that book, another successor to Gordon who as explicitly anti-Batman. And like Foley, Yindel comes around to Batman after recognizing that even if he is a law-breaking criminal, he has to exist to combat larger forces that the police and citizens could not on their own. That's the Batman effect at play. What's interesting about Foley is that out of all the "good guys" in the film, he's the only one of note who actually dies, and dies pretty unceremoniously off screen.

Someone get this hothead outta here!

bNBgxtY.jpg

Last edited:
my goodness joker, the gloves have certainly come off in the all things DCEU thread

almost forgot about the Lady Gaga Snyder thing. Good lord.

It's almost too easy. When someone starts using Donald Trump and Lady Gaga songs to validate Snyder's Batman, I feel like I am in the Twylight Zone.

quick, let me find something I don't like to counteract why something I do like is good

A LEGO Batman movie rated higher than BvS. Lawd my sides ache.

I'm just waiting until it gets certified until I do a screencap of both movies.

Apparently the Lego movie has a better crafted characterization than a movie written by an Oscar winner. As well as a more cogent thesis statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"