The Dark Knight Rises You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
JL really needs the help. It hasn't even gotten one yet! Who shall assume the honor of being, as youtubers say, "fiiiiiiiiiiiiirst".

I guess it's a good thing that at least one person cares enough to keep track. :up:

Poll numbers are always visible at the top once one has voted in.

The more you know....

I too hate when a genre markets itself as something that it actually is.

Good point.

If 50 Shades of Grey had been marketed as a superhero movie, there's a chance that I may have accidentally gone to see it.

2mh7Nlf.gif

Be sarcastic all you want, I just don't care for the genre anymore. It's all the same to me. I like when an artist takes a genre and turns it on its head. When you've done everything you can do within that frame , you need to push outside of that frame, use your imagination. Logan was excellent with that. If Leone and others never decided to change it up with westerns, we would never get those brilliant groundbreaking films that we got in the 60's. This goes for any artistic medium. Do something new or I'm not interested. And within this particular genre, just doing something different isn't enough either because you can't use a Superman, Batman etc as a way to exercise your experimental ideas IF THAT MEANS TOSSING OUT THE ESSENCE OF THESE CHARACTERS. Which is what Snyder does.

You need balance but don't give me the same old crap. I'm not buying into it anymore.

Last edited:
Guardians: Space opera.
Ant-Man: Heist film
Logan: Western.
Captain America 1: War film.
Captain America 2: Political thriller.
Deadpool: Over the top black comedy.
Thor 3: A Gladiator in a coliseum type film.

But by all means the genre sure doesn't take the genre and turn it on it's head at all much these days.

So, I gots to say it again, anyone else excited for Better Call Saul tonight? :)

THIS guy is!

shauner despite what you said in these last two pages, you should check out Legion.

shauner despite what you said in these last two pages, you should check out Legion.
I will back this and it's something I seriously was really really not feeling in the beginning, but it all came together quite nicely.

Guardians: Space opera.
Ant-Man: Heist film
Logan: Western.
Captain America 1: War film.
Captain America 2: Political thriller.
Deadpool: Over the top black comedy.
Thor 3: A Gladiator in a coliseum type film.

But by all means the genre sure doesn't take the genre and turn it on it's head at all much these days.
You're looking at one thing in the Thor trailer. Apparently that won't even be a big deal in the film (gladiator). More forced humor, CGI everywhere, slow motion shots, cheesy grins from the villain, copying guardians every chance they get because it's now a successful series. Nothing new there besides a new haircut.

Cap number one was still a cliche origin/superhero movie with plenty of cheese. It's a remake that was needed I guess but it's still a remake/reboot like Man of Steel (which I don't think needed to be made as is).

Logan was fresh. So was Deadpool. Winter Soldier was fresh for Marvel that's for sure but the small problems that I had with it were a few of those convenient moments involving Nick Fury. Ant man was different as well.

Other than Black Panther or taking a risk with The Batman (possibly), I don't see any NEW ideas in the near future. Maybe Aquaman will do something different maybe it won't. Regardless, I'm still burnt on the genre. I've seen trailers for a few superhero movies now and they all look bad and lack creativity. Could be how the trailers are cut but I'm going by what they're selling so far. I'm not impressed.

I think assigning those labels to those films goes a little far. Yeah, they take elements from those descriptors but they're still comic book movies from head to toe. Winter Soldier is not a political thriller, it has surface level political thriller elements, and Ant-Man is not a heist film, it's a by the numbers superhero origin film that happens to have a "heist" in it.

I think assigning those labels to those films goes a little far. Yeah, they take elements from those descriptors but they're still comic book movies from head to toe. Winter Soldier is not a political thriller, it has surface level political thriller elements, and Ant-Man is not a heist film, it's a by the numbers superhero origin film that happens to have a "heist" in it.

:lmao:

Correct.

I'm not gonna lie. I love the Cap movies. Chris Evans' Captain America is my favorite MCU character. But both the movies and Chris Evans' Cap have become overrated, IMO.

Late 80's coke-fueled political thriller...

To be fair, you can make the same criticism of TDK. It was a Mann-esque crime thriller on the surface. Underneath which was a sprawling superhero flick.

For sure.

OK I'll leave this here, maybe you guys can add your two cents.

Arrival, third viewing. Still a really good film by an amazing director but I'm changing my tune. It doesn't have the same replay value as Interstellar. After a third viewing I think I'm good for several years, at least. I think it's a film that is rewarding the second time around where you can piece everything together from start to finish. But after that, it doesn't quite entertain you as much as Interstellar with those goosebumpy moments and emotional scenes that stick with you after a viewing experience. It's like "I get it all now, it all came together, well executed". But it didn't hit me this time, beyond that. Interstellar still left me wanting more after my fourth viewing, and I might check it out for a fifth time before Dunkirk drops this July. With Villeneuve's Bladerunner (which I'm beyond excited for), I think I'll just watch the Bladerunner Final Cut and MAYBE Prisoners (which I believe is Denis' best).

Of course this is just my opinion.

I certainly don't think Nolan is a flawless filmmaker and Villeneuve is one of the best out there right now, but Nolans films DO leave a lasting impression unlike s LOT of directors these days. Not without his flaws but goddamn he brings me back for several viewings. And I always notice new things.

I'm only bringing this up because I remember arguing the point that Arrival is the slightly better film.

Last edited:

Agreed.

For sure.

OK I'll leave this here, maybe you guys can add your two cents.

Arrival, third viewing. Still a really good film by an amazing director but I'm changing my tune. It doesn't have the same replay value as Interstellar. After a third viewing I think I'm good for several years, at least. I think it's a film that is rewarding the second time around where you can piece everything together from start to finish. But after that, it doesn't quite entertain you as much as Interstellar with those goosebumpy moments and emotional scenes that stick with you after a viewing experience. It's like "I get it all now, it all came together, well executed". But it didn't hit me this time, beyond that. Interstellar still left me wanting more after my fourth viewing, and I might check it out for a fifth time before Dunkirk drops this July. With Villeneuve's Bladerunner (which I'm beyond excited for), I think I'll just watch the Bladerunner Final Cut and MAYBE Prisoners (which I believe is Denis' best).

Of course this is just my opinion.

I certainly don't think Nolan is a flawless filmmaker and Villeneuve is one of the best out there right now, but Nolans films DO leave a lasting impression unlike s LOT of directors these days. Not without his flaws but goddamn he brings me back for several viewings. And I always notice new things.

I'm only bringing this up because I remember arguing the point that Arrival is the slightly better film.

I agree. Both are good films but Interstellar is far more emotionally impactful. Not one moment in Arrival gave me goosebumps or that same sense of wonder. Also, I watched the film a second time with my fiance recently (it was her first time watching it). She called the ending about 20 minutes into the film. I just sat there awkwardly saying stuff like "Hmm that's an interesting take", trying to not confirm or deny for the rest of it. :funny:

Arrival is a good film though, I like the ideas it explores and it's well-executed. A tad overrated though, no doubt. I think Sicario is Villeneuve's best film so far.

What Walt said is there is; there is more variety to superhero movies these days than just hero vs villain formula, for people who seek variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"