The Dark Knight Rises You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, the new trailer started off promising but quickly devolved into a video game nightmare. It just looks like really obvious green screen. I think Danny Elfman's score is the one thing I'm interested in at this point.

Also, shame Blade Runner 2049 is bombing. I thought it was really incredible, can't stop thinking about it.

I agree, the new trailer started off promising but quickly devolved into a video game nightmare. It just looks like really obvious green screen. I think Danny Elfman's score is the one thing I'm interested in at this point.

Also, shame Blade Runner 2049 is bombing. I thought it was really incredible, can't stop thinking about it.

Me too. I'm not surprised but it bombing still angers me.

Yeah I saw it at a Dunkirk screening too, and it was pathetic. This new one at least starts off promising but then it goes downhill from there. The shift in tone is ridiculous.

I remember my Dunkirk Imax screening in Lincoln Square had the second Justice League trailer on and there were audible groans when it ended.

I liked the first bit with Clark in the cornfield. It showed a surprisingly tasteful amount of restraint that the rest of the trailer, and presumably the movie itself, did not have.

I'm just coming around to the fact that Batman is DC's golden boy now. Superman has always been front and centre, and he's still (literally, at least in artwork) shown as their #1, yet Batman has totally eclipsed him. Man, where did DC go wrong with the big blue boy scout?

In the 80's. When they rebooted DC they gave John Byrne the keys to redo the origin. And Byrne gave us a Superman stripped of all of his uniqueness and made to be a more standard, "relatable", marvel character. And right about that time Superman's popularity dropped like a rock. Unfortunately DC pushed this lame version of superman down the throat of everyone in every media. And lo and behold, the popular conception of superman now is that he is boring. His popularity has dwindled.

But there was one run that brought Superman back to immense popularity and interest. Morrison's All Star superman. Gone was the marvel-like, relatable superman. It was the silver age demigod adapted to modern times. And people responded.

People don't respond to Marvel Superman. As long as we get Stan Lee's Superman, he will fail. People like superman when he is.....superman. The demigod. The embodiment of hope. The man of tomorrow.

All Stars is silver age powers, golden age Clark Kent. The silver age version is my favorite iteration of the character, I just adore that take.

In the 80's. When they rebooted DC they gave John Byrne the keys to redo the origin. And Byrne gave us a Superman stripped of all of his uniqueness and made to be a more standard, "relatable", marvel character. And right about that time Superman's popularity dropped like a rock. Unfortunately DC pushed this lame version of superman down the throat of everyone in every media.

I bought The Man of Steel off the shelf at my LCS, one at a time as they were printed. I don't recall widespread disdain for it. Stripped of his uniqueness? Hardly. Btw, Byrne's re-origin was canon until Birthright.

I bought The Man of Steel off the shelf at my LCS, one at a time as they were printed. I don't recall widespread disdain for it. Stripped of his uniqueness? Hardly. Btw, Byrne's re-origin was canon until Birthright.

It wasn't interesting enough for disdain. He made Superman uninteresting. There is a reason Superman's popularity has been on a freefall since. There is a reason the popular critique of superman is that he is "boring". John Byrne is to blame for that.and DC for peddling it.

It wasn't interesting enough for disdain. He made Superman uninteresting. There is a reason Superman's popularity has been on a freefall since. There is a reason the popular critique of superman is that he is "boring". John Byrne is to blame for that.and DC for peddling it.

"Not interesting enough for disdain," but you call it lame (lacking substance). Which is it? If you don't like it, that's fine, but it was good for the time. The character needed a tune-up, and he got one. It just wasn't on the same level as Frank Miller's Batman or George Pérez's Wonder Woman.

It was a tune sideways. He didn't get anything but worsening sales. And lame and uninteresting are competing terms? In what deranged universe?

A person who has no social skills is uninteresting, therefore he is considered lame. There. I babyfed you the compatibility of both terms without contradiction.

At least said bad pun gives you an excuse to not respond to my points. Silver lining.

you tell m

I did. Right underneath. It's not polite to black out before reading everything. Yes. Lame can mean it sucks. Lame is also used to describe things that are uninteresting, like Byrne's Superman and BvS. So my point loses no teeth.

You're the one who requires spoon-feeding

I've spelled it out in elaborate baby letters twice now. Do you need me to do it again?

LOL, I must have caught the off-ramp to Salton City. I guess I'll hit a drive-thru. :D

Plenty of characters or people without social skills are interesting.

In the 80's. When they rebooted DC they gave John Byrne the keys to redo the origin. And Byrne gave us a Superman stripped of all of his uniqueness and made to be a more standard, "relatable", marvel character. And right about that time Superman's popularity dropped like a rock. Unfortunately DC pushed this lame version of superman down the throat of everyone in every media. And lo and behold, the popular conception of superman now is that he is boring. His popularity has dwindled.

But there was one run that brought Superman back to immense popularity and interest. Morrison's All Star superman. Gone was the marvel-like, relatable superman. It was the silver age demigod adapted to modern times. And people responded.

People don't respond to Marvel Superman. As long as we get Stan Lee's Superman, he will fail. People like superman when he is.....superman. The demigod. The embodiment of hope. The man of tomorrow.

Correct.

Is that why they killed him, brought in successors, brought him back, gave him new powers, and then circled back to his previous power set?

One of the changes I didn't like moving from silver age Supes to New Earth version is how they dropped Superboy days for Clark.

Affleck won't last anyway now that people see him as a lying piece of trash.

I can't believe i'm saying this, but i'm starting to warm up to Armie Hammer for Batman. Apparently there's rumors he may win an oscar soon, or at least be nominated. And i've seen a couple of films with him within the last year, where i started to change my tune just a little bit. Dark hair, tall dude, deep voice, if his acting chops are getting better...in the hands of the right director this could work. He's young enough too, so they can lock him down for a trilogy most likely.

Affleck will be just fine. Like everything else these days, this will stop making headlines in the next couple of weeks and we'll forget it ever happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"