You know it's true: The Watchmen 2 Thread

WompuM

Esquire
Reaction score
watch2.jpg

There have been numerous reports of the prequel comics actually happening and now art is beginning to filter online before being taken down by DC's lawyers. Is such a story permittable or should Watchmen be left alone behind its firewall? Is, what many consider, the perfect comic book story truly untouchable? What if it's true that Darwyn Cooke is behind the stories? Would that change your tune?

Most importantly, will you read it?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/25/watchmen-2-art-comedian-by-jg-jones/

Comedian.jpg

http://io9.com/5872299/is-this-the-silk-spectre-from-watchmen-2

NiteOwl1-500x788.jpg

Last edited:
As long as they don't attempt to answer the questions posed by the last panel, I'm not really all that worked up about more people playing around in the Watchmen sandbox. Plenty of people have played around with classic literature in other forms, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead to cite one example, that I can't hold Watchmen as somehow above the fray. Heck, between Lost Girls, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and his Lovecraft inspired stories, it's not like Alan Moore doesn't indulge in it himself.

Besides, it's not like there haven't been "official" expansions on the Watchmen universe in the past. Alan Moore was all on board with the DC Heroes RPG modules and source book in the 1980s. I figure as long as the new stories are essentially prequels, they'll have all the same impact.

That said, even if I consider the new books "mostly harmless", I'd rather thay had turned that level of talent to fresher ideas. Frankly, I think Darwyn Cooke has had a better last decade than Alan Moore, but I'd rather see Cooke's new creations than Cooke retreading 1980s archetypes. I certainly don't need anyone revisiting Watchmen, but my gut instinct is that there are enough talented people working on the project that ultimately the controversy is going to be much ado about nothing.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder if Alan Moore didn't have a falling out with DC what would have happened? I bet at some point there would have been more Watchmen comics. I feel like this should be something I'm against but I'm not going to ignore a project with that level of talent involved.

That said, like Twin stated, I wish that these people were working on the next great thing instead of proving Alan Moore right. Except for Joe Kubert, he can do whatever the hell he wants at this point.

Oh, I'd read it, just out of curiosity. Mostly because, I love Golden/Silver Aged types of characters and teams. The Minutemen would be SO much fun to read and play around in their world.

However, a large portion of me doesn't agree with this move. There's a difference between taking a classical piece of literature (prose), that's been around for centuries, and reinterpreting, adding to or retelling it. This is awesome if the work has been around for so long that people are immune to its effect. If it's dull, and boring after so many years, a cool interesting spin is welcomed. Watchmen for me, isn't that old. It's still applicable on some levels. It doesn't need to be tweaked, or put into perspective based on something else.

My issue is that Watchmen is an example of storytelling. Art with prose. It's supposed to not only make an impact but also be memorable for that one moment. That fixed place in time.

Maybe I'm alone here but I think people forget that storytelling is an art and less is often more. I can think of lots of pieces of art that if *just* something else had been added to it, it would be ruined. Or if it had been exhibited in an area to 'add to' the painting would have destroyed the overall viewing of the piece. There are lots of prose works where adding to the story, or creating a prequel/sequel would/could do more harm than good.

Echoing Watchman, I'd rather see a new project.

Eh, good talent or not, I doubt I'll check any of them out. I'm just not interested in seeing any kind of continuation (whether prequel, sequel, whatever) of Watchmen. *shrug*

Oh, I'd read it, just out of curiosity. Mostly because, I love Golden/Silver Aged types of characters and teams. The Minutemen would be SO much fun to read and play around in their world.

However, a large portion of me doesn't agree with this move. There's a difference between taking a classical piece of literature (prose), that's been around for centuries, and reinterpreting, adding to or retelling it. This is awesome if the work has been around for so long that people are immune to its effect. If it's dull, and boring after so many years, a cool interesting spin is welcomed. Watchmen for me, isn't that old. It's still applicable on some levels. It doesn't need to be tweaked, or put into perspective based on something else.

My issue is that Watchmen is an example of storytelling. Art with prose. It's supposed to not only make an impact but also be memorable for that one moment. That fixed place in time.

Maybe I'm alone here but I think people forget that storytelling is an art and less is often more. I can think of lots of pieces of art that if *just* something else had been added to it, it would be ruined. Or if it had been exhibited in an area to 'add to' the painting would have destroyed the overall viewing of the piece. There are lots of prose works where adding to the story, or creating a prequel/sequel would/could do more harm than good.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think a classic work remains a classic work regardless if a lesser, derivative work appears. Psycho II isn't a bad sequel, but it has done nothing to diminish Hitchcock's original. Not to mention Gus Van Sant's ill conceived remake. Same for Jaws II or 2010. There's a commotion, but when the dust settles the original remains untouched.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think a classic work remains a classic work regardless if a lesser, derivative work appears. Psycho II isn't a bad sequel, but it has done nothing to diminish Hitchcock's original. Not to mention Gus Van Sant's ill conceived remake. Same for Jaws II or 2010. There's a commotion, but when the dust settles the original remains untouched.

I agree with you. I just don't like having "lesser" prequels/sequels out there, at all, unless there's a need or a definite reason to do it. I don't see what reason there could be to do this prequel. Especially if the original writer isn't supporting it. It seems like a push for money. Can't blame them though. I mean, I'll still pick it up just to see what it's about. :cwink:

I feel like this should be something I'm against but I'm not going to ignore a project with that level of talent involved.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

This will live and die by its own merits. I know many people hate this idea, but how many of us have enjoyed something corporate that was primarily made to make lots of money? This site, if it still existed, would be far different if it didn't start as a hub for news on 2002's Spider-Man. Not all of us love that movie, but even if we don't, the hype that spiraled from it gave us these boards.

Maybe Watchmen was made for too specific an era, maybe—as I believe—the changes it made to comics have become too familiar, or maybe this prequel idea won't make for good comics. If this fails, we get more Watchmen sequel jokes out of it. Or it's just forgotten by everyone 'cept the blog circles. Probably both. But if "Panic Room" is good? Sure, I'd buy it. The controversy behind these characters shouldn't stop anyone from enjoying their continued adventures if the material's actually good.

I wish they'd do the original prequel Gibbons and Moore planned that involved the Minutemen.

Oh well, maybe we can get Azzarello on Rorschach lol. =p

If we get more Silhouette out of this I'mma be happy because my book shelf always needs more comic books with bad ash lesbians in them on it :up:

More Nite Owl and Silk Spectre would be neat as well :)

Like with most things if it was good quality I would spend money on a Watchman prequel/sequel

But I wouldn't brag about it because if Alan Moore finds out his beard will eat me :wow:

Sometimes I wonder if Alan Moore didn't have a falling out with DC what would have happened? I bet at some point there would have been more Watchmen comics. I feel like this should be something I'm against but I'm not going to ignore a project with that level of talent involved.

That said, like Twin stated, I wish that these people were working on the next great thing instead of proving Alan Moore right. Except for Joe Kubert, he can do whatever the hell he wants at this point.

Agreed. With the talent on board for this, it's almost impossible for it to suck on it's own merits. I imagine people will hate it simply for being what it is, rather than seeing what it contains.

But with the talent on board, why can't they do something that hasn't been done before? And yes, it does prove Alan Moore right. I don't really know how I feel about it. I may check it out, at least browse through an issue or two. But at the same time, any kind of prequel seems superfluous in context of Watchmen anyway. We know what happens, and what we got in the main book is really all we need to know.

I'm skipping them if and when they ever get made. No extra stuff is necessary for Watchmen. It just reeks of desperation for another round of the critical praise in the build-up to Vertigo's founding from DC's current administration. Those days are gone, the talent behind them has largely moved on, and DC as a whole should too. Moore said what he wanted to say in Watchmen. Just leave it on its own merits rather than forcing fans to start referring to it as "the good part of Watchmen, before DC added on all that other junk," the way we have to do when we talk about Kingdom Come and someone mentions The Kingdom. :o

Watchmen was way overrated anyway, and the characters mean nothing to me, so I don't care. If Darwyn Cooke does it, it will be better than the original unless he tries to copy Moore and Gibbons.

Last edited:
I think they should leave Watchmen alone.

Having seen what is supposed to be Silk Spectre's new design for the upcoming prequels, it is clear that the whole purpose of her original costume and what it was trying to convey has completely been lost. If it is her new design, then it looks like your typical comic book superheroine, complete with tight outfit and additional skin on show. Updating Laurie's costume completely misses the satirical point of the original, that when real people in the real world dress up in superhero outfits they look weird, goofy and never as great as they think they do. It's one of the reasons I have a big problem with Laurie's movie costume as well. Her outfit is supposed to an outdated old thing from her younger years which was probably made by her mother.

gat damn, I am all over this

- RORSCHACH (4 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: Lee Bermejo
- MINUTEMEN (6 issues) – Writer/Artist: Darwyn Cooke
- COMEDIAN (6 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: J.G. Jones
- DR. MANHATTAN (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artist: Adam Hughes
- NITE OWL (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artists: Andy and Joe Kubert
- OZYMANDIAS (6 issues) – Writer: Len Wein. Artist: Jae Lee
- SILK SPECTRE (4 issues) – Writer: Darwyn Cooke. Artist: Amanda Conner

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36724

I just read an interview with J. Michael Straczynski and he brings up a very, very good and fair point about writing for characters created by Moore:

"Leaving aside the fact that the Watchmen characters were variations on pre-existing characters created for the Charleton Comics universe, it should be pointed out that Alan has spent most of the last decade writing very good stories about characters created by other writers, including Alice (from Alice in Wonderland), Dorothy (from Wizard of normal">Oz), Wendy (from Peter Pan), as well as Captain Nemo, the Invisible Man, Jekyll and Hyde, and Professor Moriarty (used in the successful League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). I think one loses a little of the moral high ground to say, “I can write characters created by Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Robert Louis Stevenson, Arthur Conan Doyle and Frank Baum, but it’s wrong for anyone else to write my characters.”

Man look at those CREATIVE TEAMS! Darwyn Cooke? J.G. Jones? Azzarello? Bermejo? ADAM HUGHES?? JAE LEE? Holy cow, so THIS is what they've been doing all this time. Dare I say it...I'm onboard.

I'm going to read these too. I don't know if I'll read all (but I actually don't know which ones I would leave out.) I'm also not sure if I will wait for them to be collected first or to buy each issue. I guess I'm most curious about Ozymandias and Silk Spectre.

Instant GET
!

Same here! I love Azzarello and Bermejo. When I first saw it, I thought that was someone's dream team for the Rorschach comic. I thought "That would be too amazing", then, it's the actual team!

This could be a disaster or it could be amazing, considering the writing talents involved, i'm leaning more towards amazing at this point. It will be too hard to ignore these with people like Azzarell and Straczynski writing them.

I hope it will all be collected into a TPB at one point as I prefer those to individual comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"