"YOU LIED TO ME!" - Shut up, Thea!

Discussion in 'Arrow' started by DalekbusterFitz, Jun 14, 2017.

1. DalekbusterFitz

DalekbusterFitz Dalekbuster523

I have been watching Arrow on Amazon Prime recently and whilst I've been enjoying it, I find it really irritating whenever Thea has a go at anyone for lying.

Why the heck does she have such a strong hatred for lies? Does she expect everyone to walk around telling the absolute truth about everything?

Perhaps Thea should have Laurel's job? She'd make a great lawyer.

Does anyone else find Thea's constant moans about others lying annoying?

2. 2kt09

2kt09 Here 'N' There

Pretty much everyone was keeping dirty "little" secrets from her simply because she was the youngest & most innocent one around.

3. DalekbusterFitz

They were keeping secrets for a reason though, and people do it all the time. It's a fact of life.

Also: when she gets training from Malcolm Merlyn, what's the first thing she does? Keeps it a secret!

4. 2kt09

2kt09 Here 'N' There

Tit for tat. She even becomes more rebellious after all the stuff that went down.
    Only made sense for her to then go on a more prolonged crazy post-resurrection.

5. Jedi Arrow

Jedi Arrow Vigilant Knight

It's a character arc. She grows out of it. Is it annoying? Yes. But if characters didn't grow, they'd be boring. Personally, I think Arrow does a great job of evolving its characters over time, and Thea's one of them, for the very reason you've mentioned. Her hatred for lying turned into her keeping secrets herself, and eventually she comes full circle and is, to be frank, one of the more mature characters in the show at this point.

6. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I was fine with her. If you are going to lie then don't get caught, those people got caught and Thea was a teen who lost her brother, lost her father, estranged from her mother, girl has trust issues and for good reason.

7. DalekbusterFitz

I think the problem is that the way it's done, it's very 'on the nose'. It needed to be more subtle, rather than Thea complaining nearly every episode of people lying to her.

8. Jedi Arrow

Jedi Arrow Vigilant Knight

She was a 19-year-old at the time. Teenagers do not tend to be subtle, they tend to be on the nose, and they tend to complain a lot, especially when they think they're being treated unfairly (i.e. being lied to). So I found it to be fairly realistic.

9. Babillygunn

Babillygunn Tag team champion

To your point, when Ollie finally tells Thea he's the Arrow, her reaction was perfect. It showed that she had grown and matured.

10. Avenging Angel

Avenging Angel I'm Fire! Life incarnate!

It's angst for the character. It can't be any worse than Felicity's persona.

11. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

You think Thea is bad? She's a walk in the park compared to Felicity's melodramatics whenever someone has lied. Felicity is excruciating to watch. I don't know how far you've gotten through the series, but Felicity is the absolute pits to watch, especially in seasons 3 and 4.

12. Stroller 10

Stroller 10 New Member

I don't know what season you are on, but Thea was really whiny at the start of the series..