'You' on Netflix

Poppy

Sidekick
Reaction score
"You" premiered Sept. 9 at 10 p.m. on Lifetime.
Based on Caroline Kepne's best-selling novel of the same name, "You" is a 21st century love story that asks, "What would you do for love?" When a brilliant bookstore manager crosses paths with an aspiring writer, his answer becomes clear: anything. Using the internet and social media as his tools to gather the most intimate of details and get close to her, a charming and awkward crush quickly becomes obsession as he quietly and strategically removes every obstacle - and person - in his way.

Trailer:

Invoking the best qualities of David Fincher’s “Gone Girl” and Mary Harron’s adaptation of “American Psycho,” this twisted don’t-call-it-a-love-story-except-it-kinda-is juxtaposes the idea of love as glamorized by the romance industrial complex with its dark side. - Indiewire

You,” based on Caroline Kepnes’s novel, is a vicious thrill; smart and mean in all the right ways, with a devilish sensibility and a clever, inviting pessimism, like the friend who wants you to sit in the back with her and make jokes." - Nytimes

Have you guys watched it, what did you think of it?

The pilot was really good. Penn is great, the production value is good and I can not wait to see more of this show.

While I enjoyed S2 for the most part...I think it was a major mistake on their part to
Kill off both Candace and Delilah, one of them should've stayed alive to keep after Joe and his new bride

While I enjoyed S2 for the most part...I think it was a major mistake on their part to
Kill off both Candace and Delilah, one of them should've stayed alive to keep after Joe and his new bride

I was annoyed at how
Candace went out. I mean, sure, it’s surprising for those who didn’t see the twist coming but it’s such a tragedy for the character. I wanted her to be a worthy adversary and she ended up just escaping death and wanting to protect his future victims only to end up dead like that. I suppose Ellie can come back and be that person that will go after Joe and Love.

How is this thread so inactive? On S2E9 and liking this season better than the 1st. Forty's a great character. He's messed up but totally entertaining. "Is Delilah code for getting homeless vaj"? Looooool

I really enjoyed season 2. I felt like this season waas similar to Dexter season 2. Would be awesome if they did a crossover and Joe ends up on Dexter’s table. Haha

I think the best description I’ve read online is that Joe is a “millennial Dexter”. :hehe:

Haha that is so true. He’s also one of the luckiest killers out there. He’s left so many loose threads with people knowing his secret...Dexter would be disappointed.

I binged both seasons over the last week and this show is really compulsively good. I find myself almost distrurbed that I am almost rooting for this guy despite the terrible things he’s done. He’s like a step further from Dexter in terms of his morality.

I like how throughout both seasons he’s trying to convince himself that he’s not some psycho killer or evil but by the end it’s revealed it’s who he is...with him praying on his neighbor even though he has everything he wanted.

I know with these kind of shows you have to suspend your disbelief but its almost comical how lucky Joe gets. I feel like any competent investigator with a brain would easily connect him to any of these crimes. Then again, Dexter pulled these same shenanigans all the time :funny:

I know with these kind of shows you have to suspend your disbelief but its almost comical how lucky Joe gets. I feel like any competent investigator with a brain would easily connect him to any of these crimes. Then again, Dexter pulled these same shenanigans all the time :funny:

I also feel like this type of character only works if he is a played by a good lookin dude to begin with. If this character was played by Jackie Earle Haley or whatever, no way in hell he gets all these women. lol

My gal and I binged watched this and it was entertaining while being trashy. I mostly was kept interested because of Victoria Pedretti. I would wolf her.

I also feel like this type of character only works if he is a played by a good lookin dude to begin with. If this character was played by Jackie Earle Haley or whatever, no way in hell he gets all these women. lol

My gal and I binged watched this and it was entertaining while being trashy. I mostly was kept interested because of Victoria Pedretti. I would wolf her.

I was pretty surprised this originally aired on Lifetime (I know season 2 was produced by Netflix). While theres no nudity theres a good amount of gruesome violence and F bombs. Does Lifetime usually air this kind of stuff? Lol

Completely agree with the comparisons to Dexter except this just feels like a teenage version. I'm kind of nervous that the creators mentioned wanting this to go on for awhile.

I was pretty surprised this originally aired on Lifetime (I know season 2 was produced by Netflix). While theres no nudity theres a good amount of gruesome violence and F bombs. Does Lifetime usually air this kind of stuff? Lol

I don’t remember season 1 having f bombs since it aired on lifetime first. Season 2 was by Netflix so they had more.

I don’t remember season 1 having f bombs since it aired on lifetime first. Season 2 was by Netflix so they had more.

Oh season one definitely had f bombs, but they were used sparingly. Btw why did Lifetime give the show up? Seems like a horribly dumb move on their part. Did it not get good ratings until it hit Netflix?

Oh season one definitely had f bombs, but they were used sparingly. Btw why did Lifetime give the show up? Seems like a horribly dumb move on their part. Did it not get good ratings until it hit Netflix?

Yep. It really only blew up after it went on Netflix.

Yep. It really only blew up after it went on Netflix.

Interesting. It probably was just not a fit for Lifetime. I feel like there are several other Networks where the show would’ve easily caught fire from the get go.

Full disclosure: I had no idea this was ever on Lifetime until I stumbled into this thread.

I feel like this show does better as a binge watch. One episode a week slows down the momentum IMO. I wish DC Universe and Disney+ dropped their seasons at once rather than an episode each week.

Interesting. It probably was just not a fit for Lifetime. I feel like there are several other Networks where the show would’ve easily caught fire from the get go.

It would be a hit on CW most likely. Lifetime’s target demo are older women and this just won’t click there compared to the younger demo on Netflix, CW or cable television.

I feel like this show does better as a binge watch. One episode a week slows down the momentum IMO. I wish DC Universe and Disney+ dropped their seasons at once rather than an episode each week.
Neither of those platforms have enough original content to do that and retain subscribers.

It really depends what kind of show it is honestly. The Mandalorian for example, i think works as a weekly show because of the way its written. Each episode has a self contained element to it. You, though, is the kind of show that works as a compulsive binge because of the way its written and how each episode cliffhangers into the next.

Also question for you guys, this was a plot contrivance that sort of bothered me. The episode where
we find out what happened to Candace, she goes to the police and tells a police officer “my boyfriend tried to kill me and buried me alive. To which...the officer shrugs it off, says theres no proof and tells her to stay dead??? Is this realistic? I feel like ANY police officer’s first inclination would be to ask “okay, WHO is your boyfriend and what happened?” The fact that the police officer didnt even ask Candace who her boyfriend was to at least look into it...that seemed wayyy to contrived. Am i wrong or am I right?

Neither of those platforms have enough original content to do that and retain subscribers.

I agree with DCU but I think Disney has enough content for that. Other than Mandalorian I haven’t watched any of the other original shows but I still keep it for Marvel and Star Wars movies. I might be in the minority though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"