Superman Returns You will believe a man can fly...that was then, this is NOW!??

Naite22

Superhero
Reaction score
I just saw ALL of the special features on the "SUPERMAN THE MOVIE" special edition dvd last night, and boy oh boy are they great! Love the three documentaries called "Taking Flight" - "Filming the legend" and "The Magic behind the cape"... they are so insightful, and it gave me goosebums for all the incredible special effects and such that was developed specifficly for that movie.. They really stressed that they did things with this film that had NEVER before been seen, mainly making every one believe that a man really could fly!

Now, there was a peace within these documentaries that explained the tag-line for the movie "You'll believe a man can Fly"... They knew that that speciffic tag-line wasn't JUST a line.. It had crusial MEANING. In other words it said that they had done things that had never before been possible or never before been seen in the history of movies (and they were right!) If you didn't truely believe that superman was actually flying on screen, then they had NO MOVIE! This is superman, and superman CAN FLY. Therefor if that didn't work, nothing else would... They pulled it off... Incredibly they pulled it off back in 1978, and to this date NOTHING compares to what was done in Superman 1! Lord of the Rings, King Kong GO HOME!!! What I'm trying to get across here is the fact that this movie was so big in every way...HOW ON EARTH WILL RETURNS LIVE UP TO THAT??? Can it live up to that?

Bryan said that his imaginary tag-line for RETURNS was "You'll believe a whole lot more is possible!"... What will RETURNS bring on, that we haven't seen in other movies? What will be revolutional for this epic picture (if any)? Bryan also said that they will have characters doing things in this movie that has never before been seen in that size of scope. What could he mean? What will be so damn special? Will RETURNS truely fly?

I have my doubts about the film, but one thing I am not concerned with is the special effects and how convincing Superman's flying will be. I have no doubts they'll nail that. As long as we see Routh adjusting his arms like Reeve did in-flight we should be ok. In fact, I saw a 'Bryan's Journal' where they talked exactly about that, so I'm not worried.

No matter how good the effects..Rich donner said as much..chris Reeve made him think a man can fly. not the effects.

but listen to what they say in the previs blog.. (brandon is so great we hope we can live up to him)

I would say..we have nothing to worry about.

The flying effects in Superman the Movie were indeed sold by the performance of Reeve(just as George Reeves sold the flying in the effect handicapped Adventures of Superman), but even more important than an individual performance is the presence of the human actor in a majority of the flight FX.

The technology available to Donner dictated the methodology, but today it would be all to easy to succumb to the temptation of CGI for Superman's flights, however it would seem from the knowledge we have and the photographic evidence available that for the most part Routh will do most of the "flying". And that is a good thing for us.

Like others have said, Reeve sold the effects, not the other way around. Some of the special effects in that movie weren't even up to par for that time, and most of them have aged poorly.

Stuff like Supes flying will be as realistic as possible.

Having him lifting tons of weight either standing on the ground or in mid-flight, will also look realistic (not like hanging from cranes or something)

Heat vision will look better.

I personally expect SR to revolutionize the use of camera. The nature of Superman films plus the skill Singer's, I expect the movie to have some innovative shots.

well the only people to ask are the people who watched the footage of supes flying..did routh pull it off?

Routh doesn't have to sell the effects now though, it's not the 70's and 80's anymore.

Showtime029 said:
Routh doesn't have to sell the effects now though, it's not the 70's and 80's anymore.

I think he does..i never believed that keanu reeves could fly in the matrix..

ROBOCOP CPU001 said:
but he didnt fly. ;). it was not real hehehehhehe h he:eek:

ROBOCOP CPU001 said:

I guess you're right, the difference is that I didn't expect much out of Keanu, but this is Superman. I guess I want him to sell the flying even more, so I have to backtrack.

I know..just trying to make a point..that its the actor who sells it..not the effects.

I think its divided... 50% of the believability depends on the actor... and the other 50% on the effects. I have faith in the special effects... Routh is still a resounding "IF"...

I think advances in techniques today can help the actor more so than when Reeve did it, who looked so natural in the wirework he did live up to the movies tagline (a lot of wirework you'll see in other flicks looks cumbersome and all too obvious by comparison). Basically Reeves take offs, landings and body language in flight seemed so effortlessly smooth he did make it feel real (favorite shots in the original movie are his taking off from the Planet rooftop after saving Lois & the fly-by past the office windows). Remains to be seen how well Routh will compare but it's fair to say his predesessor set a very high bench-mark.

to be honest routh can not be worst. only better .after all he can now look at reeve and correct hes mistakes. it was harder with reeve because he was teh first one.

djkris said:
Stuff like Supes flying will be as realistic as possible.

Having him lifting tons of weight either standing on the ground or in mid-flight, will also look realistic (not like hanging from cranes or something)

Heat vision will look better.

I personally expect SR to revolutionize the use of camera. The nature of Superman films plus the skill Singer's, I expect the movie to have some innovative shots.
Incredible... The point of this thread was to discuss what "might" be a true revolutional step up the latter in film-making(if any).. It wasn't to discuss wether or not Routh can "fly good".. That's exactly what I mentioned in the beginner post, Reeve already did that.. In 1978, they made every one believe a man can fly.. That's honnestly not too hard today (although the flying in the matrix sequels looked like crap and total cgi mania!) But for 1978 that was a HUUUGE leap in film techknowlegy.. What I'm asking is if there will be something just as revolutional in RETURNS??? Something to make THAT MOVIE stand out just as the first superman movie did.. So far no one has got a clue to what might be in store.. The only one even hinting at something that could make this movie stand out is djkris who's post I've added in this one... Doesn't any one have an idea to what we might see?? Other than the flying (cause that HAS to be in place)

Well I happened to think Clark flying in the season premiere episode of Smallville was incredibly impressive. I have no doubt they will blow us away.

Well Naite, what exactly is it that you want? Special effects have pretty much reached their peak when it comes to conventional FX and CGI. There have been countless films since the S:TM that have likewise "revolutionized" the effects industry, and the hard truth of the matter is that the audience has become so accustomed to effects-heavy movies (such as LotR) that they're hardly special anymore. Having a guy fly around or lift big objects isn't anything new; bad place, there are fan-made movies that can pull that off to a convincing degree now.

What's important about this movie isn't the effects themselves, but the context in which they're used.

I think in this movie we`ll see Superman using his powers much more than in the Reeve`s movies....

grabmygladys said:
Well I happened to think Clark flying in the season premiere episode of Smallville was incredibly impressive. I have no doubt they will blow us away.
I 110% agree.. That WAS veeeery impressive indeed!:up: Especially when you take in the fact that it's "just" a tv-show... It looked so bad-ash:eek:
Many of my friends are asking why he doesn't fly more in the series, when they can do it so well.. My answer to that one is, that it WASN'T EASY! I'll bet you that they put in a whooole lot of work for that one sequence... They dont have time to do that for every single episode.. It was at the begining of season 4 he flew wasn't it?? or was it season 3, I can't remember.. All I remember was that it was when he was reborn and came back as Kal-El, with no recollection of his life as Clark Kent.. It was so cool, no one can take that away from them!

I'm sure that the flying in Returns will be more than impressive, I only hope that we get a fair taste of it in the up-coming trailer:)

Andy C. said:
Well Naite, what exactly is it that you want? Special effects have pretty much reached their peak when it comes to conventional FX and CGI. There have been countless films since the S:TM that have likewise "revolutionized" the effects industry, and the hard truth of the matter is that the audience has become so accustomed to effects-heavy movies (such as LotR) that they're hardly special anymore. Having a guy fly around or lift big objects isn't anything new; bad place, there are fan-made movies that can pull that off to a convincing degree now.

What's important about this movie isn't the effects themselves, but the context in which they're used.
Actually I have NO idea what I expect you people to say:)... I just hoped there was some HARDCORE-geeks in here that could maybe tell a little of what they expect Returns to deliever.. Maybe they knew something most of us dont..?.. heck I dont know, I just needed to make a thread:)... I have no doubt that the flying in RETURNS will be revolutional in MANY ways.

I thought that Welling was so stiff and motionless...Too much Matrix for my tastes so i was kinda disappointed with the flying in Smallville...The plane was obvious CGI. However, the scene in this season where Clark goes after the missile was much better in my opinion...That made me :eek:!!

SpiderDaniel said:
I thought that Welling was so stiff and motionless...Too much Matrix for my tastes so i was kinda disappointed with the flying in Smallville...The plane was obvious CGI. However, the scene in this season where Clark goes after the missile was much better in my opinion...That made me :eek:!!
That rocked also!:)... I thought the flying in SmallVille looked much much better than in the Matrix movies, which is big blocbuster films.. Therefor it was so impressive what they acomplished in smallville... I think SmallVille (just like with X-Files back in the days) is the most bad-ash series. When they revolve around Clark and his destiny the series couldn't be more successful.. But who cares about Lana's dead parents and all of that other Dawson's Creek BS.. Just with X-Files (for comparisons sake) I think the series was so damn cool.. I loved everything that had to do with Extra Terrestrials/ufo's and all that stuff. That was the central core of the show, and I LOVED THAT! They should stay on what they know works.. I could sum the entire SmallVille series down to 15-20 favorite episodes if I had too. They should really stop when this season is over, however many say that there will be a 6'th season.. They should really rap things up now.. It's getting a little too lame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"