The Force Awakens Young Female Lead?

I don't know,but it'll just feel weird to me.Maybe because the focus has been on the male Master & apprentice for so long.Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan,Obi-Wan & Anakin,Obi-Wan & Luke.It just feels like the natural progression would be for Luke to hand the Skywalker legacy to another male.

Now that's not saying that I don't want to see a lead female Jedi in the film or even a film centered on a female Jedi eventually.But,I think Luke's successor should be male.

Sometimes we overthink or loosely define continuity when there's none much there.

Sometimes we overthink or loosely define continuity when there's none much there.

Agreed.

I love how with the transfer to Disney, Lucasfilm conveniently presented the table depicting the different layers of continuity...which contradicts Lucas's conduct and statements regarding the EU in the past.

Agreed.

I love how with the transfer to Disney, Lucasfilm conveniently presented the table depicting the different layers of continuity...which contradicts Lucas's conduct and statements regarding the EU in the past.

Uhhh conveniently? The Holocron which is the tiers of cannon was made 15 years ago.

Is this the Hype's new catchphrase?"It's 2013!":whatever:

BTW,as far as SW is concerned it's still A Long Time Ago,In A Galaxy Far,Far Away.:woot:

It's only a catchphrase when it's relevant. Like now.

Is this the Hype's new catchphrase?"It's 2013!":whatever:

BTW,as far as SW is concerned it's still A Long Time Ago,In A Galaxy Far,Far Away.:woot:

But I don't understand your point though. You're picking on that coined catchphrase :), but what's your stance on this topic then? I'm not trying to be a humorless lump or anything.

I thought I made it pretty clear.:funny: I think Luke's successor should be male.It just seems odd to me for the next protagonist of the series to be female,when you have Lucas (at least when he was in charge) using recurring themes throughout the series of a male successor to each of the starring Jedi.

It would just look odd to me.Here you have granpa Luke teaching some pretty 22 year old actress how to swing a lightsaber.Just weird picturing that in my head.:woot:

I thought I made it pretty clear.:funny: I think Luke's successor should be male.It just seems odd to me for the next protagonist of the series to be female,when you have Lucas (at least when he was in charge) using recurring themes throughout the series of a male successor to each of the starring Jedi.

It would just look odd to me.Here you have granpa Luke teaching some pretty 22 year old actress how to swing a lightsaber.Just weird picturing that in my head.:woot:

Uhh Lucas originally had the sequel trilogy planned to have the lead as a female since '78.

Originally when Yoda spoke of Luke's sister in ESB "the other" the original plan was to introduce Luke's sister in ROTJ, (who originally was not Leia even Mark talked about how that disappointed him at the 30th anniversary of ROTJ earlier this month). Then they were going to have another trilogy that followed the successor which would have been his sister as the new Jedi being taught and the main character. And it's clear Lucas continued that. So no, if we want to go off of "originally" it should be a girl how they originally planned it over 30 years 35 years ago.

The focus would be on Luke Skywalker's journey to becoming the premier Jedi knight, with Luke's sister (who was not Leia) appearing in Episode VIII, and the first appearance of the Emperor, and Luke's ultimate confrontation with him, in Episode IX (a storyline as planned pre-1980, according to A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back producer Gary Kurtz)

On my iPhone, I thought you were somebody else. OPPS.

But I'll say it again: You're looking at a certain 'continuity' or a 'tradition' that's not even there. This 'male jedi' rule was never written in stone or even discussed. Furthermore, the new movies are not limited to being prequels and they can do whatever they want to expand the story. And like what Solidus said, Lucas never opposed to having a female as a lead since it was the original idea. It was just the limitations of that era, and yes, times have changed.

But you're sticking by it. I guess I understand where you're coming from, but Star Wars isn't just beloved by boys. It's beloved by everyone of every gender, race, and creed. Why limit the appeal to just 'male' protagonists when Star Wars is so universal?

It's like saying that a female can't lead a video game like Assassin's Creed, or 'Final Fantasy' (which has happened). Says who? This is not a PC thing, this is about fighting a certain stubbornness towards change.

I'm old enough to remember Samus Aran being a groundbreaking big deal.

As I said before,I don't have a problem with a lead female jedi,or even a movie centered on one.But all these years of me picturing who Luke would hand off his legacy too,it always seemed to me it would be a young,somewhat impetuous male.:jedi

Haha you are a very stubborn dude. I guess that admirable.

As I said before,I don't have a problem with a lead female jedi,or even a movie centered on one.But all these years of me picturing who Luke would hand off his legacy too,it always seemed to me it would be a young,somewhat impetuous male.:jedi

I agree, it seems more fitting to give it to Ben. However you could still make Jaina the centric character surrounded by a great ensemble cast.

And you Smallville Fan, you're stubborn too with the EU stuff!!!!

I'm kidding and all, but the both of you are just setting yourselves for disappointment. Have some perspective, keep an open mind. That's all.

Casting descriptions for "lead" characters obtained by BleedingCool, reportedly confirmed by LucasFilm spokesperson.

Late-teen female, independent, good sense of humour, fit.

Young twenty-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking.

A late twentysomething male, fit, handsome and confident.

Seventy-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn’ t need to be particularly fit.

A second young female, also late teens, tough, smart and fit.

Forty something male, fit, military type.

Thirtysomething male, intellectual. Apparently doesn’t need to be fit.

I think whoever is cast as a potential female lead will make me grow to love the idea. I don't completely love the idea now, but it could all change. I started watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and she's an amazing female lead so if they can get that right and surround her with a supporting cast that clicks, I can get excited.

How was the reception to Ahsoka and Barriss? Pretty good? My knowledge of the Clone Wars is lacking.

Ahsoka's introduction was met with groans and eyerolls, but now they love her. Barriss... not so much.

A late twentysomething male, fit, handsome and confident.

Hopefully this is the heir to Skywalker lead. and the older military character will be in the mold of Han and ROTS Obi-Wan.

It's disappointing that both female lead roles are teens, I'd have loved to see a mature female Jedi.

Leia?

It does say late teens, so they may cast an actress in her early 20's. I like the comparison someone made to the legend of Korra as I was a big fan of that show. As you know I'm looking forward to a female lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"