Your arms are just too short to box with the Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had cable since August, so I have no idea what you are saying. Punk is still Champ right? I thought that Rock was taking on the champ?

So if he wins, then Punk could get the title back before Mania. Then, Boom! Rematch.

What is going on with Lesnar?

There have been rumors of a proposed Punk-Undertaker match at WM. That would give WWE two main event caliber matches for the show instead of one.

So...

"Mon, 07 Jan 2013 22:27:52 PST
WWE News: What did The Rock and C.M. Punk do after Raw went off the air? (updated)
Dot Net reader Frank Canelli attended Monday's WWE Raw and sent the following report on what happened after the television show concluded.

The Rock stayed in ring. C.M. Punk came back out saying he wasn't finished talking. Rock gave Punk three more Rock Bottoms. Rock talked how he used to live in the Tampa area and trained here, which is why he picked Tampa to make his latest return. Rock hit Punk with the People's Elbow. Since he didn't have an elbow pad, he took off his shirt and threw it to the crowd.

There was no dark main event."

As I'm in the UK and can't stay up till 3am watching this, on a whole was the show worth watching all the way through, or just the last 30mins?

There was solid wrestling and the last 30 minutes was gold.

He probably asked for somebody to call his mama.

Ernest Miller? :cwink:

So, first off: CM Punk's promo. I'm a huge Punk fan, he brought me back into watching wrestling for a short period of time. I think Punk would be successful in any era of wrestling, he's that good on the mic. I think what makes him incredibly perfect to be the star of The Reality Era in 2013 is how good he is at making you believe "his" reality.

This all started with that famous Vegas shoot, and I don't doubt Punk spoke from the heart and simply spoke the truth. But tonight was truth thru the lenses of "kayfabe". So he goes on this diatribe about glass ceilings and superstars being forced into characters (skirting the line of shattering the illusion of character for R-Truth, Daniel Bryan, and John Cena) but then he follows that up with basically telling the audience that he suckered all of them into cheering him by pretending to be this figment of imagination "voice of the voiceless".

I had to catch up on Raw because I literally slept through most of it. Work up...saw nothing interesting was going back on...went back to sleep. Caught a few good bits though.

Punk is the heir to guys like Jake Roberts and Mick Foley when it comes to mic work. But I dare say...he may be better than both of them. I think when it comes to serious, scathing, in your face promos Punk IS the best in the world. Maybe ever. He is a true wordsmith. A great orator.

I love how he seamlessly blends fantasy and reality. Thats what the wrestling business is all about and he embodies that so well. Thats the best part. Punk actually had something of substance to say to sell the match while Rock went on about Popeye on crack? I'm with NDX...WTF does that even MEAN? When Rock took things seriously it was all more intense.

Tonights promo would have been better if Rock hadn't borrowed some of Cenas lamea** material but if we get more promos with the two leading up to the Rumble we might here an even better back and forth. Right now I have this small feeling that Punk might actually retain. Maybe its just wishful thinking.

What amuses me most is I think Punk taps into the core ideas and emotions that made the Attitude Era sucessful more than Rock does these days. If Punk had dropped one of those "pipe bombs" back then theres no doubt in my mind he would have been a big sucess. Its one thing that got DX so over and Punk does that better than Michaels or HHH IMO.

First time I've watched WWE in a month.

Totally different styles of Promo from the Rock and Punk.

Punk took Triple H shovel and buried everything that moved yet also sneaking in props to wrestlers in the back that he thinks deserve it.

Punk was really subversive and I don't think the Rock really picked up on it.

He talked about how he's always been in this thing for himself and to spite everyone else. He talked about how his pipe-bomb wasn't really a pipe-bomb but an orchestrated plot to put himself over and pull the wool over everyone'e eyes. How he doesn't care about anyone else - be it the fans or the guys in the back.

Everything he said was true but it was said in a way that people didn’t really wanted to hear. That’s the brilliance of CM Punk and his creativity.

The Rock was as entertaining as ever. The Rocks usual song and dance routine has got a little old and I say that as a fan of his but. I couldn't help but feel The Rock had these zingers lined up for a while and was aiting to come out and unload them. The Rock is still one of the most entertaining guys on the mic and does juvenile humor in a way which Cena could only dream of doing.

The Rock should of been a chef. He knows his rolls, candy ass, pie, and cereal and ice cream.

Last edited:
But you can't help but wonder; is the Rock capable of really delivering a full serious promo that will make several good points? I mean, with what we've seen of the rock as of late, he's in some ways like Cena, only he's allowed to be a little edgier with his choice of words and he's already well liked by the male demographic side of the audiences.

On another note; despite everything that Punk's done, they've really given themselves a exit when it comes to potentially turning him back to a face again through the means of Paul Heyman, since they could just say that Heyman was the one that orchestrated all of the saves without Punk knowing and that he was the one that brainwashed Punk on this and that.

I don't really think John Cena and the Rock really are that different. I think the Rock is more charismatic than Cena but both of them are showmen who love the spotlight and like to entertain. They are bother entertainers before anything else. That doesn't mean they can't wrestle or don't work hard or only care about themseleves.

I don't think the rock could cut a super serious promo. Thats not his personality or style.

Strip away the Popeye and cookie puss stupidity and Rock's promo was fairly serious, the first part of it that ended with "20 days....then time's up!" was perfectly delivered, if he'd ended there and Rock bottomed Punk I'd have said it was one of the best promos he's ever cut.

Punk's promo may well have covered a lot of things a majority of us think but it was still a heel promo, it was cleverly constructed to basically let Rock prove his point for him, and it's a shame Rock isn't on a Piper or Foley level of bringing an emotion other than anger, as there was a way to turn it back on Punk but Rock simply waded straight into the verbal trap.

A smarter talker would have pointed out that many wrestlers have worked in the business long after their prime because the roar of the crowd is unlike anything else, he could have played on the notion that Punk didn't start out so cynical and asked "Did you really wrestle 90 minutes in a gym in front of 30 people for $50 because you don't want the fans to go home saying you gave them a great show?" Cena did this really well in 2011, he poked at Punk's possible insecurities and flaws in his words, Rock isn't capable of that so he should have kept it short and sweet.

I really feel that Punk's speech last night was the WWE's "mission statement" for the rest of the year, and maybe beyond.

And I think even the most critical among us should realize that the speech last night was derived from the combined efforts of Punk and the people backstage. That they chose Punk to be the proxy spokesman for the company's 2013 direction, shows that WWE creative can still produce good ideas and work with good wrestlers.

I really feel that Punk's speech last night was the WWE's "mission statement" for the rest of the year, and maybe beyond.

And I think even the most critical among us should realize that the speech last night was derived from the combined efforts of Punk and the people backstage. That they chose Punk to be the proxy spokesman for the company's 2013 direction, shows that WWE creative can still produce good ideas and work with good wrestlers.

I don't think the boys in the back had anything to do with that. That promo was all punk. And the speaking despite being cut for commercials was a genius move.

I hear people asking how you thought Bryan felt or Brodus felt...how do you guys think Kidd felt when Punk told the truth about him being a workhorse and not moving up in the company?

Plus...I liked my thread title suggestion. Boo.

I found this picture in another forum. It's a rehearsal of the shield's spot with ryback. Pretty interesting to see.

JDTLA.jpg

Strip away the Popeye and cookie puss stupidity and Rock's promo was fairly serious, the first part of it that ended with "20 days....then time's up!" was perfectly delivered, if he'd ended there and Rock bottomed Punk I'd have said it was one of the best promos he's ever cut.

Punk's promo may well have covered a lot of things a majority of us think but it was still a heel promo, it was cleverly constructed to basically let Rock prove his point for him, and it's a shame Rock isn't on a Piper or Foley level of bringing an emotion other than anger, as there was a way to turn it back on Punk but Rock simply waded straight into the verbal trap.

A smarter talker would have pointed out that many wrestlers have worked in the business long after their prime because the roar of the crowd is unlike anything else, he could have played on the notion that Punk didn't start out so cynical and asked "Did you really wrestle 90 minutes in a gym in front of 30 people for $50 because you don't want the fans to go home saying you gave them a great show?" Cena did this really well in 2011, he poked at Punk's possible insecurities and flaws in his words, Rock isn't capable of that so he should have kept it short and sweet.

The best "bad guys" are the ones who believe what they're doing is right , imo. I thought Punk cut one of the best heel promo's I've ever heard and doused it with realism. Rock is really good at what he does , but he's outmatched by CM Punk. I think he's going to step it up though. Rocky excels when it comes to rallying the crown for catchphrases , but Punk is the guy that can drop a pipebomb and take it to another level. Perhaps Rocky could spend some time in Piper's Pit.

I hear people asking how you thought Bryan felt or Brodus felt...how do you guys think Kidd felt when Punk told the truth about him being a workhorse and not moving up in the company?

It must of felt nice to be relevant. Punk did them all a favor. Hell this is the most Tyson Kidd has been on RAW in a while.

Zack Ryder Snubbed By WWE On RAW On List Of Most Followed Superstars

Submitted by Michael Bluth on January 8, 2013 - 9:24am

Posted In:

As if not getting booked on RAW each week was bad enough, Zack Ryder was blatantly snubbed by WWE on RAW in a way that the entire WWE Universe took notice.
During Monday's RAW, WWE aired an info-graphic touting the Superstars with the most Twitter followers. The list included:
1) [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]The [/FONT][FONT=inherit ! important]Rock[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]: 3,819,435
2) John Cena; 3,227,150
3) Randy Orton: 1,778,583
4) CM Punk: 1,489,032
5) The Miz: 878,011
The problem is that Zack Ryder has 990,316 followers - over 100,000 more than The Miz and enough to qualify for the list.
Zack Ryder tweeted the following messages in response to the omission:
"So on #RAW it just showed the most followed superstars in @WWE and they just skipped me? #AREYOUSERIOUSBRO"
"Can @WWE read? I have 989k twitter followers. @mikethemiz has 879k. #AREYOUSERIOUSBRO #HMMM"
This lead to #AREYOUSERIOUSBRO trending worldwide on Twitter. Ryder continued:
"Hey @WWE. Whose decision was it to leave me off the “The World Follows WWE On Twitter” list? You can just DM me the answer. I won’t tell."
"The world follows me on twitter too. @WWE just doesn’t want you to know. I have 100k followers more than @mikethemiz."
"Hey @WWE…#RyderHasMoreFollowersThanMiz is trending worldwide. :) Sorry @mikethemiz."
Claiming a terrible miscarriage of justice, Ryder made one final request regarding how they can right this wrong:
"Hey @TheShieldWWE…let me in! "

Yeah, Ryder should join the Shield as the enthusiastic guy who doesn't fit in. His fatigues can be pink and yellow.

I thought it was hilarious when Rock mentioned the ice creams bars. " Ice cream bars for everybody , but Nooooo!!!".

Yeah, Ryder should join the Shield as the enthusiastic guy who doesn't fit in. His fatigues can be pink and yellow.

I don't think they could do any worse to Ryder besides taking his merchandising gimmick away. I hope this is all leading to something.

Last edited:
First time I've watched WWE in a month.

Totally different styles of Promo from the Rock and Punk.

Punk took Triple H shovel and buried everything that moved yet also sneaking in props to wrestlers in the back that he thinks deserve it.

Punk was really subversive and I don't think the Rock really picked up on it.

He talked about how he's always been in this thing for himself and to spite everyone else. He talked about how his pipe-bomb wasn't really a pipe-bomb but an orchestrated plot to put himself over and pull the wool over everyone'e eyes. How he doesn't care about anyone else - be it the fans or the guys in the back.

Everything he said was true but it was said in a way that people didn’t really wanted to hear. That’s the brilliance of CM Punk and his creativity.

The Rock was as entertaining as ever. The Rocks usual song and dance routine has got a little old and I say that as a fan of his but. I couldn't help but feel The Rock had these zingers lined up for a while and was aiting to come out and unload them. The Rock is still one of the most entertaining guys on the mic and does juvenile humor in a way which Cena could only dream of doing.

The Rock should of been a chef. He knows his rolls, candy ass, pie, and cereal and ice cream.

It remind me of many Punk promos that work on multiple levels. Its just like his promos with Hardy. He delivered them in such a bastard heel way...but was any of what he said wrong? he said the right things...but he was still a heel.

I loved how he took shots at the Rock's style and Rock still went ahead with his shtick anyway and it only proved what Punk was saying.

Rocks cuts entertaining promos but he's never been mentally "quick on his feet" so to speak when it comes to absorbing and re adjusting when up against another great mic worker with a different style. Piper was always a guy with quick wits who COULD do what I'm talking about. So is Triple H.

But you can't help but wonder; is the Rock capable of really delivering a full serious promo that will make several good points? I mean, with what we've seen of the rock as of late, he's in some ways like Cena, only he's allowed to be a little edgier with his choice of words and he's already well liked by the male demographic side of the audiences.

I think he's capable but its not a style that comes naturally to him.

And like Cena Rock IS the estableshment. he is the corporate poster boy. That shows in his promos. You're right. Punk meanwhile is anti estableshment and more cutting edge.

I don't really think John Cena and the Rock really are that different. I think the Rock is more charismatic than Cena but both of them are showmen who love the spotlight and like to entertain. They are bother entertainers before anything else. That doesn't mean they can't wrestle or don't work hard or only care about themseleves.

I don't think the rock could cut a super serious promo. Thats not his personality or style.

I think he could but not always on the fly or right on the spot. It doesn't come naturally to him. It'd have to be planned somewhat. Punk can shoot from the hip and immediatly cut a serious razor witted promo. A big difference is Punks serious promos always have an air of spontaneity that Rocks don't always have.

Rock can cut a serious promo but I don't think he can ad lib it. Sometimes his serious promos come off as obviously scripted instead f sounding natural. Someone like Punk can re adjust on the spot if he has to. Listening to Rock last night he didn't really address nearly as much of what Punk said directly as he could have. I don't think he knew quite how to respond to some of it. Some of what Punk said was fodder for a great mic worker to repond to. Like you said imagine him in there with a great mic worker.

Triple H could have stood in there with Punk and the back and forth SERIOUS exchange could have been riveting. Piper, Roberts, Michaels, etc. all would have been able to hang with him. From todays generation Austin Aries has that same ability to hang with CM Punk on the mic.

Honestly...I think Hollywood Hogan cut better "serious" promos during his first WCW heel run than Rock's done recently. Back then Hogan could actually roll with someone like Piper on the stick. In the build up to their Starrcade match Hogan was on point.

Zack Ryder Snubbed By WWE On RAW On List Of Most Followed Superstars

Submitted by Michael Bluth on January 8, 2013 - 9:24am

Posted In:

As if not getting booked on RAW each week was bad enough, Zack Ryder was blatantly snubbed by WWE on RAW in a way that the entire WWE Universe took notice.
During Monday's RAW, WWE aired an info-graphic touting the Superstars with the most Twitter followers. The list included:
1) [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]The [/FONT][FONT=inherit ! important]Rock[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]: 3,819,435
2) John Cena; 3,227,150
3) Randy Orton: 1,778,583
4) CM Punk: 1,489,032
5) The Miz: 878,011
The problem is that Zack Ryder has 990,316 followers - over 100,000 more than The Miz and enough to qualify for the list.
Zack Ryder tweeted the following messages in response to the omission:
"So on #RAW it just showed the most followed superstars in @WWE and they just skipped me? #AREYOUSERIOUSBRO"
"Can @WWE read? I have 989k twitter followers. @mikethemiz has 879k. #AREYOUSERIOUSBRO #HMMM"
This lead to #AREYOUSERIOUSBRO trending worldwide on Twitter. Ryder continued:
"Hey @WWE. Whose decision was it to leave me off the “The World Follows WWE On Twitter” list? You can just DM me the answer. I won’t tell."
"The world follows me on twitter too. @WWE just doesn’t want you to know. I have 100k followers more than @mikethemiz."
"Hey @WWE…#RyderHasMoreFollowersThanMiz is trending worldwide. :) Sorry @mikethemiz."
Claiming a terrible miscarriage of justice, Ryder made one final request regarding how they can right this wrong:
"Hey @TheShieldWWE…let me in! "

If this isn't part of some kind of work or angle its a prime example of whats wrong in WWE. The are often guilty of misleading or flat out wrong factiod graphics but this is a case of them manipulating perceptions to push who they want to.

Then they proceed to beat him down and then chuck him through the APA's stand alone door and frame. :hehe:

Seriously, I just can't see the Shield's serious nature meshing well with Ryder's hyperactive happy personality. :oldrazz:

Btw, I'd love to see Hunter perform a shoot promo in the WWE... :D :up: :oldrazz:

Dare I say, I think he could even outdo Punk... :ninja: :cwink:

Anybody have YouTube links to all of Punk's promos from last night?,I want to see them again..And again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"