Your Dog's (Pet's?) Health

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by InCali, Aug 2, 2020.

1. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I have miniature poodles. They're pretty awesome. Really smart and love nothing more than to hang out with you....and walks....of course walks.

A couple of them have allergies and I've been giving them Apoquel to keep them comfortable. I was reading about Bovine Colostrum and came across some chews that contain it, salmon oil and probiotics. Does anyone have any experience with this? I bought some on Amazon and am getting them tomorrow and will start giving them to my dogs immediately. I plan on continuing the Apoquel for a week and then taper off. I'm thinking that after a week, it might kick in but don't know for sure.

I'm hoping to do something that will help build their immune system rather than just masking the problem.

What kind of stuff do you do for your pet's health?

2. Hobgoblin Veritas veritatum

I don’t know if this helps but my wife’s dog has eye allergies. It gets mucous and nasty. She treats it with local honey and the pollen in the honey somehow counters the pollen causing the allergy.

3. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

How does she "treat" it? My dogs don't have much of a problem with this. They get a tiny bit of black yuk that I clean with a tissue about once a week. One of my dogs does get more and I'd like to find out exactly how this is done.

4. Hobgoblin Veritas veritatum

She uses a spoonful of honey mixed with peanut butter. The dog is crazy for it.

5. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I thought maybe you mixed it with water and cleaned the eye with it. Glad I waited. LOL

6. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Mine are on heartworm and tick medication. That's about it.

The older one has a knee issue that pops up every once in awhile. The best thing for him is just to walk it off.

7. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Yeah. Depending on where you live, that's a pretty good idea. Living the the wilds of West Los Angeles, gives me some flexibility in terms of what I give them. They don't really even get fleas. Being poodles, they are extremely high maintenance dogs. I cut them (takes about an hour and a half each) about once a month and they get washed before cutting. When I do see a flea, I give them a chewable tablet, but that's only about twice a year. That Frontline stuff doesn't really work anymore so I got some other stuff recommended by the vet.

My oldest one (the father of my other dogs) is going to be 15 on August 9th. Sometimes in the morning his hips would hurt until they loosen up. At first I thought arthritis, but it ended up not being that. He'd get a little strain and after a couple of weeks, he'd be fine.

8. Hobgoblin Veritas veritatum

Wait, you thought it got fed to the dog?
    :cwink:

Just a teaspoon of honey and teaspoon of pb.

9. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Fleas are a major nuisance in Florida. I have two Shih-Tzus. One is 9, the other 1. I take them to the groomers once every couple of months, and get them cut short. They are happier with the shorter hair than the classic Shih-Tzu show cut.

10. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Oh, I forgot to mention. I use Simparica and Interceptor+. That's what the vet recommended.