Your dream JLA line-up

Too bad he'll have his hand and dishwashing gloves back. :(

Yeah, but I'm getting over that. Can't always get everything just the way we want it. I'll be happy if he's got a comic with a solid team in the next year.

Main Team
Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Green lantern
Green Arrow
Black Canary
Aquaman
Flash
Hawkman
Martian manhunter

Reserves
Captian marvel
Mary marvel
Zatanna
Atom
Powergirl
Supergirl
Hawkgirl
Elongated Man

My ideal Justice League:

From what I have seen, in the minds of most creators, there are two types of super hero teams: The classic kind, who wait around for a hurricane or some bad guy to attack a city before they do anything, and "pro-active" heroes, which means in the minds of most people to be a team like the Authority, going around executing people and imposing their will upon the world. What strikes me as odd is that you almost never see a team who sits in the middle ground. A team who's goal is to build a better world as opposed to simply being a reactionary force, but aren't brightly colored tyrants/walking WMDs. Yes, they do fight evil alien overlords and save planes that are crashing, but when they're not doing that, they're not just sitting around headquarters waiting for the trouble alert to go off. Their planting crops. They're building houses. They're starting up and leading global charitable organizations. Feeding the hungry. Serving as intermediates during diplomatic meetings between world powers. Funding and sponsoring science and the arts. Setting up academic scholarships. Actually building a better world, as opposed to simply tearing down a bad one. While ultimately there would be a massive staff of people working under them in these affiliated organizations, as well as a support staff of medical technicians and ex-military to serve in times of crisis, there would be a core group who would serve as the face, as well as supplying the super power:

Clark Kent/Superman: He is the symbol of modern day super heroics, so having him on a team like this is a no brainer. It's also to resolve a problem I've had with a lot of modern depictions of him. Superman, in recent years, is often compared to Jesus, made out to be this messiah like figure. But what does he do that's particularly Christ like? He saves lives, yes, but in a very reactionary manner. He saves people in danger. He punches monsters. He isn't usually shown to be doing much to actually heal the world. Here, I'd emphasize the idea that when there's no immediate danger, he actually goers out of his way to do good instead of simply waiting for there to be trouble, as well as have him try to actually teach people a better way of life, to extend the Christ analogy a bit further. While he wouldn't be the leader of the team from an administrative standpoint, he would be from a moral standpoint. He's their rock. Their moral compass. Almost their spiritual leader.

Princess Diana/Wonder Woman: Bringing her raw power, experience in politics, and public image to the table, as well as the resources of her country.

Brice Wayne/Batman: While he'll done the cape and cowl, or even more likely just a general black outfit and mask for more covert work, if his services as a detective, his main role here is as an administrator. One of the main people bankrolling the new League, and helping them with the contacts he's built through Wayne Enterprises and the Wayne Foundation. He's also in charge of recruitment.

Oliver Queen/Green Arrow: Ollie has, by this point, left politics after a successful career as Mayor of Star City, and is using his political standing and personal wealth to head up this new Justice League along with Bruce. With the League becoming his main focus, he's left most of the crime fighting in Star to Roy, Connor, and Mia. While he serves mostly as an administrator, he still has no qualms about bowslinging again if the need arises. Or if he gets bored.

J'onn J'onzz/The Martian Manhunter: Because it's traditional, and more importantly because it makes sense. Not only because he's ridiculously powerful. Not only because his telepathy and intelligence makes him an ideal coordinator for any team. Not only because he's all around just awesome. Above all that, it's because he is the only truly international hero in the DCU. He's known the world over. He has no allegiance to any nation over any other, and has over the years done his very best to integrate himself into every culture he's come across. If anyone should be the face of a League that's truly serving in the world's best interests, it's him.

King Orin/Arthur Curry/Aquaman: Again, both because it's traditional and because it's practical. Ollie's rich, but he ain't that rich. Having the resources of the largest nation on Earth backing you up is a no brainer. I'm actually thinking that their headquarters should be in Atlantis.

Wally West/The Flash: With Jay, Bart, and now Barry all active, the twin cities are looking pretty well taken care of. This would give Wally and area to shine. And honestly, out of all the flashes, picturing Wally working on a global scale like this seems to click in my head the best.

Jason Rusch/Firestorm: An underused character that I am rather fond of. This set up would take his powers to their logical conclusion: Refertalizing farmland in war torn countries, generating usable hydrogen fuel, etc.

Alan Scott/Green Lantern: Absurdly powerful, and the only GL who's not busy with GLC business in space. Symbolically, he show's the first generation of heroes' approval of this new enterprise.

Zatanna Zatara: Putting here obscene power levels to better use that she's usually shown, doing things like healing the sick or disabled.

Hector Hall/Doctor Fate: First off, I just want to point out: Best Doctor Fate ever. I don't know how I'd bring him back, but I would. Anyway, as Zatanna is the raw mystical powerhouse of the group, she mostly uses her power in a practical way. Fate would be portrayed as coming from a more spiritual standpoint. Less of a generic fantasy wizard, more of a religious figure.

Ray Palmer/The Atom: Serves as one of the team's two scientific advisors.

John Henry Irons/Steel: The team's other scientific advisor. He was awesome when he was on the League during Morsison's run and I wanted to see him again.

Patrick "Eel" O'Brian/Plastic Man: Mostly because he's awesome, and also because I noticed that I was including pairs of two without realizing it (two rich street level vigilantes, two heroes with a royal background, etc.), and he makes a nice foil for J'onn.

Damn right on that Hector being the best Doctor Fate comment. :up:

He's the only one I really got acquainted with. I liked the idea of his being an agent of balance because he comes from a background of both Chaos and Order.

Too bad there is no more chaos and order.

Yeah, one of the many lame bits of fallout from Infinite Crisis. :o

My dream JLA team would be based in the Watchtower satellite orbiting Earth, with access to a small range of jets and with monitors and equipment allowing them to oversee the Earth efficiently - in essence, much like the set-up from the Justice League Unlimited cartoon. They would very much be the planet's main guardians and protectors, but would encounter other difficulties as well as supervillains; for example, avoiding the politics of the world stage to deliver justice, overcoming the concern of the public that they have too much power, etc. The core roster would consist of:

Superman (Clark Kent)
The team's leader and its main, iconic representative. He keeps their moral compass straight and tries to set an example for heroes worldwide.

Batman (Bruce Wayne)
A shadowy background figure within the League as well as its financial benefactor. He participates in certain missions, but his key function is acting as an intelligence agent to keep the League one step ahead of their enemies.

Wonder Woman (Diana Prince)
An undeniably crucial powerhouse that is the heart of the League. She is proud to be working as part of the team, but her ties to Themyscira force her out of the representative role she enjoys as she is seen as politically biased.

Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
Representative of the Green Lantern Corps to the League. He acts as a switchboard between the Guardians and the team if any relevant intergalactic issue arises, but is also responsible for watching out for the newer members of the group.

Flash (Wally West)
The team speedster. His power makes him a perfect reconnaissance agent for the League, and he dedicates himself fully to his role while the other Flashes protect the twin cities.

Martian Manhunter (J'onn J'onnzz)
The very core of the team. While Superman is the overall leader, J'onn is the field leader in terms of coordination and battle plans. He uses his telepathy to psionically link everyone in times of trouble, and outside of missions is almost always in the Watchtower monitor room.

The Ray (Ray Terrill)
One of the rookie members of the League. Although having acted as a mentor to Young Justice and been a prominent Freedom Fighter, Ray has never been a part of such a powerful, expansive team and so despite being a useful addition, is still getting used to the dynamics.

Traci Thirteen
A rookie member and resident mage. Zatanna is unavailable and Traci is enlisted when one of her misadventures crosses over with a League mission. She is relatively inexperienced and still coming to grips with the scope of her power, making her one of the team's more unstable elements.

Sasha Bordeaux
Black Queen of Checkmate and the UN's liaison with the League. Her OMAC abilities allow her to connect to the Watchtower computers whenever she wishes, but J'onn distrusts her and has locked her out of the major systems. Her presence is a cause of tension within the group.

Traci Thirteen should be in every comic. :up:

I'd want to see the Watchtower have a staff like in JLU, too. I liked that idea of having normal people contributing to the Justice League's efforts.

I'd rather see j'onn mopping floors and Diana scrubbing toilets.

You know, I always felt really weird about GLs being on the Justice League. At least during the periods where there was a GLC. I mean, they spend so much time on Earth, you wonder about wether or not they're seeing to their other GL duties. Batman and Superman may have cities to protect, but a Green Lantern has several galaxies.

Sasha Bordeaux
Black Queen of Checkmate and the UN's liaison with the League. Her OMAC abilities allow her to connect to the Watchtower computers whenever she wishes, but J'onn distrusts her and has locked her out of the major systems. Her presence is a cause of tension within the group.

Thats an interesting choice

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Oliver Queen, Black Canary, Ray Palmer, Hawkman, Zatanna, Red Tornado, Firestorm, Elongated Man

I was going through names and these are pretty much who I had in mind, except I didnt think of Firestorm and Hawkgirl in there too,

You know, I always felt really weird about GLs being on the Justice League. At least during the periods where there was a GLC. I mean, they spend so much time on Earth, you wonder about wether or not they're seeing to their other GL duties. Batman and Superman may have cities to protect, but a Green Lantern has several galaxies.
I guess that's why there are 2 per sector now. Although it still doesn't really help the Earth GLs, given that Hal is the only one who does anything.

Aquaman
Hawkman
Martian Manhunter
Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner)
Wonder Woman
Flash (Wally West)

Don't dislike Supes or Bats but...whenever I glance at the New Frontier shot at the end fighting Starro...it feels right to me; just throw in Hawkman. I just think Supes isn't needed when you got the other powerhouses and Bats, well...yea, prep time and logic and all but I never saw it fitting.

Damn right on that Hector being the best Doctor Fate comment. :up:

I've always heard this and I've always believed it. Hell, I already love the char alone for being Hawkman's son. But what are some essential Hector tales?

Johns' JSA run (from the series that was actually called "JSA" prior to the Justice Society of America relaunch). Also, if you can find it, there was a Doctor Fate mini-series from 2003 that was pretty good. It was never collected in trade format, though, so you'd have to trawl the back-issue bins.

Yeah I agree with that. It always bugged me. And I think it could have been the occasion to let Hal Jordan handle with space things while John would be with the JL. It would have give spotlight to the 2 of them. And Hal and Kyle in GL Corps. IMO, it would have worked.

On a side note, I think this situation happens to Aquaman too. The guy has 2/3 of the Earth all by himself + his royal duties, I think he should be just a joiner. Nothing more. But certainly nothing less.

I don't see a conflict with Aquaman. He rules 2/3rds of the Earth where nothing really happens. The animals of the ocean are subject to natural law, not Aquaman's. And there's only so many oil spills or other man-made disasters for Aquaman to deal with. The affairs of Atlantis itself can easily be handled by Vulko and Mera while he's with the JLA. The idea that he's a king and his realm is big seems more like an excuse that writers who don't want to use him use.

I don't see a conflict with Aquaman. He rules 2/3rds of the Earth where nothing really happens. The animals of the ocean are subject to natural law, not Aquaman's. And there's only so many oil spills or other man-made disasters for Aquaman to deal with. The affairs of Atlantis itself can easily be handled by Vulko and Mera while he's with the JLA. The idea that he's a king and his realm is big seems more like an excuse that writers who don't want to use him use.

Even if there are no problems, you dont think its funny that the king isnt there most of the time?

the way i always saw it, he was a diplomatic king as well as a "warrior king" (lame term i know) who felt it was his responsibility to be a representative of his people to the rest of the world as well as doing his part to keep the entire world safe.

Even if there are no problems, you dont think its funny that the king isnt there most of the time?

Yea but you gotta with the mentality that if the Surface World falls, so does Atlantis. If there is a bigger threat to the rest of humanity, he should do his part if there's no harm being done in his backyard because the world above him will affect his if they lose.

Well, theres no need to explain him being in 2 places at once since most of the major characters are in 2 places at the same time seemingly. The concept that a king of a vast kingdom has time to play super-buddies is still innately strange though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"