Your Favorite Drummer/s?

jaqua99

....I need a horse!
Reaction score
Who is your favorite drummer? As you may or may not have figured by my sig, mine is sir John Henry Bonham. May not have been THE most technically proficiant drummer, but his foot speed, and his sound and style make him unique. Not to mention I have yet to hear a drummer who could swing and groove as hard as he could.

RIP

[YT]14GYov0EdyQ[/YT]

[YT]KlZsfTZ3EDI[/YT]

Nobody beats the legendary Mr Phil Collins,in my book!

Bill Bruford is my favorite.

Nobody beats the legendary Mr Phil Collins,in my book!

Everybody talks about "The Air Tonight" of course, but I loved his sound on the third Peter Gabriel album.

Last edited:
Who is your favorite drummer? As you may or may not have figured by my sig, mine is sir John Henry Bonham. May not have been THE most technically proficiant drummer, but his foot speed, and his sound and style make him unique. Not to mention I have yet to hear a drummer who could swing and groove as hard as he could.

RIP

[YT]14GYov0EdyQ[/YT]

[YT]KlZsfTZ3EDI[/YT]
Bonham was great. Let no man say otherwise. His son is very good, too.

I'm partial to Chad Smith. He and Flea are one of the best rhythm sections in mainstream music of the last 20 years.

Keith Moon makes 'em all look like amateurs. :rimshot:

If we're talking rock and roll drummers, my number one is Mitch Mitchell of the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Dude was unreal. He would be followed by Ringo Starr who pretty much wrote the book on rock drumming, plus his drum fills and timing are insane. then of course Keith Moon and John Bonham.

But old school drummers like Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich can pretty much put everyone to shame.

Neil Peart, no contest.

Not to disagree, but I find peart a bit overreated. Everything he did worked, everything was perfect, he was a technical genius. But for me, that got boring, every fill exactly how it should be, everything perfect, in my eyes, technicality is not the only thing that makes a drummer great

Keith Moon makes 'em all look like amateurs. :rimshot:

Keith is who inspired me to play the drums lol. He made it looks so easy and fun. Lacking technical skill, sure, but his chops were nuts and he had such an agressive style, no one like him before, no one since. Like Led Zeppelin, The Who shoulda called it quits after moonie died

If we're talking rock and roll drummers, my number one is Mitch Mitchell of the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Dude was unreal. He would be followed by Ringo Starr who pretty much wrote the book on rock drumming, plus his drum fills and timing are insane. then of course Keith Moon and John Bonham.

But old school drummers like Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich can pretty much put everyone to shame.

Agreed. I like Mitch Mitchell. He's very underrated, and he's one of the best technically skilled. Though, I would say Bonham wrote the book on rock drumming, most drumming today came from him.

Mitch was always one of my favorite. Rock drumming and jazz drumming are totally different, but Buddy is the king of drums

The rev
Travis Barker
Chad Smith
Tre' Cool
Also Jack Irons!

I disagree with Bonham having written the rock book of drumming. And it's merely due to the fact that he wasn't in the position to do so. Ringo set the standard long before anyone knew bonhams name. That's not to disregard bonhams talent or his influence, because he's undeniably great. But Ringo was in the position to do it, and he did a remarkable job.

I disagree with Bonham having written the rock book of drumming. And it's merely due to the fact that he wasn't in the position to do so. Ringo set the standard long before anyone knew bonhams name. That's not to disregard bonhams talent or his influence, because he's undeniably great. But Ringo was in the position to do it, and he did a remarkable job.

I suppose, but I mean, Ringo really didn't influence Bonzo. Most of modern rock drumming came from Bonzo, any drummer will site him as an influence.

Playing hard, using the bass drum more for just the back beat...that extra snare note, ghost notes, he popularized those.

either way, Ringo doesn't suck like people say he do, cause he is great. For me Keith Moon, Bonham, Ringo, Mitch Mitchell, Terry Bozio, best ever in my opinion

I suppose, but I mean, Ringo really didn't influence Bonzo. Most of modern rock drumming came from Bonzo, any drummer will site him as an influence.

Playing hard, using the bass drum more for just the back beat...that extra snare note, ghost notes, he popularized those.

either way, Ringo doesn't suck like people say he do, cause he is great. For me Keith Moon, Bonham, Ringo, Mitch Mitchell, Terry Bozio, best ever in my opinion

i think the influence of ringo's drumming is so universal and widespread that its unrecognized. i would say bonham was a landmark drummer that was integral to the evolution of rock drumming. but it still all goes back to ringo. this isnt to say that one drummer was better than the other. i like ringo better, but i get why others prefer bonham. the dude was a monster and he really expanded the boundaries of rock drumming.

the most true sign of a great drummer is being able to play whats right for the music. bonham's drumming wouldnt work for the beatles. and ringo's drumming wouldnt work zeppelin. they were perfect for their own respective bands. just like how someone like meg white was perfect for the white stripes, despite her amateurish technique. put a better drummer in place of her and the music wouldnt work.

i think the influence of ringo's drumming is so universal and widespread that its unrecognized. i would say bonham was a landmark drummer that was integral to the evolution of rock drumming. but it still all goes back to ringo. this isnt to say that one drummer was better than the other. i like ringo better, but i get why others prefer bonham. the dude was a monster and he really expanded the boundaries of rock drumming.

the most true sign of a great drummer is being able to play whats right for the music. bonham's drumming wouldnt work for the beatles. and ringo's drumming wouldnt work zeppelin. they were perfect for their own respective bands. just like how someone like meg white was perfect for the white stripes, despite her amateurish technique. put a better drummer in place of her and the music wouldnt work.

True. Though bonzo was a skilled DRUMMER, he could play other music, not as good for certain bands, he could play the drums. He did expand the boundaries of rock drumming. But I think moonie should get just as much credit. He joined the who in 1964, they were around shortly after the beatles, he is the drummer who sort of pulled drummers out of the shadows.

and if we want to talk about "drummers perfect for their band" I think we both have to agree that no drummer fits that catagory better than moon. Keith Moon was an animal. No one would fit the who. Some people Say Zack Starkey (ringo's son) does a fine job playing with the who in keith's role, and it's completely doable. But people who say that CLEARLY have never seen Keith play with the rest of the band. The Who were amazing live and a lot of their music, and live jams got so aggressive, they went to uncharted territory. Most aggressive rock band ever in my opinion

Keith and Bonzo are on their own tier in my opinion, but that's just my opinion :D

The fact that Carter Beauford has not been mentioned yet is a tragedy

In no particular order,
Dave grohl
Travis barker
Benny 'papa zita' Benjamin
And the late great king, Buddy Rich

buddyrich-10b.jpg

Y'all are gonna kill me for this, as troo methulfans can't accept me, but still:

Mike Terrana
Lars Ulrich
Mikkey Dee
Bill Ward
John Bonham
Igor Cavalera
Phil Rudd
Neil Peart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"