Your idea for a prequel series (backstory spoilers)

godisawesome

Sidekick
Reaction score
Since we keep speculating about it, why not have a thread for it?

If you were part of a HBO brainstorming group coming up with ideas for a prequel series set in Westeros, what era (or eras) would you pick? Who would be your main protagonists? Antagonists? What climax would your series build towards?

Rob's Rebllion? The Dance of Dragons? Age of Heroes? The Conquest?

Here's mine:

Fire and Blood. A series largely mixing the events of the Blackfyre Rebellions and the Dunk and Egg series, with the central plot point seemingly being the Blackfyre Rebellions, but as those Rebellions begin to diminish, the focus shifts towards the main characters becoming aware of destiny... And dragons.

The odd thing about this story, is that the Starks wouldn't really be the main characters. Martin clearly has plans for Starks during this time frame, but with the possible exception of the "She-Wolves of Winterfell" he teased, the House that acts as main protagonists to Game of Thrones seems restrained to the North. Instead, our main protagonists would primarily be Southern born Targayens and their hangers on. Dunk and Egg would grow into the main protagonists, while our starter hero would probably be Lord Bloodraven, perhaps with him becoming more ambiguous and fading a bit into the background as his powers grow.

So, here's how I'd plan it: Season One opens with a tournament under King Aegon the Unworthy, a place to give some exposition for all Seven Great Houses and our Great Bastards. You'd have young Daeron and his Dornish Fiancé, the Tyrells being angry at their enemies present, the Greyjoys with a sharp eyed boy named Dagon, the Baratheons acting like the bestest buds with the Targaryens, and maybe for some irony, Lord Lannister sharing a drink with his old acquaintance, ancient and nearly blind Lord Cregan "Old Wolf" Stark. Aegon the Unworthy acts disgusting towards his sister wife, Aemon the Dragonknight clearly trying to enforce some behavior on his brother, and finally focus on a trio of high born bastard boys, where Daemon Water maybe pulls Aegor Rivers off Brynden Rivers. The first episode would establish everything we need to know, maybe feature Cregan reminiscing darkly about the Dance of Dragons, and end with Aegon the Unworthy getting into an argument with Daeron before suddenly acknowledging his bastards and giving Daemon the sword Blackfyre.

Season One would then cover the first Blackfyre Rebellion, showing Bloodraven becoming aware of his abilities and being accepted by Daeron as a true brother (you could get some nice feels out of Daeron giving the albino bastard Dark Sister.) Season Two would start Dunk and Egg as Bloodraven starts really exploiting his powers and unnerving even his allies while perhaps showing Aegor forming the Golden Company and winning some major battles, Season Three would continue Dunk and Egg and feature the Second Balckfyre Rebellion and the start of the Third, Season 4 would showcase the Third, the She-Wolves of Winterfell, and Aegon V coming to the thrown, while Bloodraven becomes the Three Eyed Raven in the North. Season Five would feature Aegon V winning the Fourth Rebellion, Baratheon's Rebellion, and the Tragedy at Summerhall, while Bloodraven ventures all the way North and retires to his tree.

I'd have David Lynch spearhead a miniseries in which we follow Euron on his journey across Essos.

Dunk and Egg is the logical choice. I think the Unsullied would be floored to see Bran's mentor, in his prime, was essentially the CIA without any government oversight.

There are so many great ideas for a prequel series. How about one where each ten episode season covers a different point in the history of Westeros. Here is what I came up with just off the top of my head...

Season One - The First Men/Children Of The Forest
Season Two - Age of Heroes
Season Three - Andal Invasion
Season Four - Age Of Valyria
Season Five - Aegon's Conquest
Season Six - Dance of Dragons
Season Seven - Blackfyre Rebellion
Season Eight - Dunk And Egg
Season Nine - Robert's Rebellion

Last edited:
I'd have David Lynch spearhead a miniseries in which we follow Euron on his journey across Essos.

Dunk and Egg is the logical choice. I think the Unsullied would be floored to see Bran's mentor, in his prime, was essentially the CIA without any government oversight.

I read a think piece recently that made a pretty good case for why Dunk & Egg should NOT be what they do next. They basically made the point that it's too self contained and rather dull by comparison to GoT(how can we get excited over a water rights dispute was their argument). Sort of a Hobbit after LoTR kind of thing going on. They said the Dance of Dragons and the Targaryen civil war would be much better prospects.

Dunk and Egg would be fine if they included the political aspects of the era, the Blackfyre rebellions etc. It's a lot more practical as well, because it's after the Dragons have died out and all the warfare is doable on a HBO budget.

I'd go with an anthology series, with each season being self contained, with a different setting and different characters.

Have a season set early in the Night's Watch history, another in the early years after Aegon's conquest, etc.

Casterly Rock appears to be ready to fall first

With Euron loaning support, King's Landing wouldn't be a simple focus for the foe. Rather, it's substantially more likely that Daenerys will look to Casterly Rock – the home of the Lannisters – for a first blow. There's significantly more proof of this in the primary trailer discharged a month ago, however we do get two or three shots in the new trailer that appear to affirm this hypothesis of our own.
Game of Thrones Season 7 Plot Leaked

The greatest clue is the shot of Unsullied opening the way to let more Unsullied in. It's a trap Daenerys has utilized earlier: she sent some of her men into the sewers of Meereen to incite a slave uprising. Furthermore, now that Tyrion is on her side, who knows Casterly Rock from the back to front on account of his dad Tywin's requests placing him responsible for the sewers and channels of their familial home, it appears the Unsullied will endeavor a comparative procedure with the Lannister home manor. That is to some degree verified by the shot of Gray Worm on a vessel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"