Your opinion of applauding at the theater?

Only during midnight showings.

Midnight showings are like an event - a social, communal experience unto itself, and thusly, clapping, cheering, etc. is fitting for such an entity.

Any other time it's lame.

I feel like you really nailed it here. A few midnight shows I have been to (like Return of the King and Avengers) had huge applause at the end. Of course, after the applause for Avengers, everyone stayed seated, then after the mid credits scene, it was a mixture of "oh crap! Hell yes!" and "who is that?" Some midnight shows, like Matrix Reloaded, just had the theater sit uncomfortably for a second, thn go on with their lives.

I've never experianced applause at a theatre until friday night seeing Les Miserables.

I think it kind of made sense though, because of the kind of film it was.

You know the first time I've seen this in a theater in decades was in MOS and it felt pretty cool.

As long as it's after the movie , and the credits start rolling...i see no problem. Just don't annoy me during it . After it , i don't care.

I don't mind it, but I must admit to feeling a tad awkward as everyone clapped for Man of Steel while I just sat there.

I've no problem with it as long as it's not during a crucial scene where it drowns out the dialogue.

So i'm just wondering what is the opinion of applauding at the end of a movie? Personally i think it's a bit silly, to me applause is a signifier of respect to those involved in the performance i.e plays, performances, speeches etc.

At a theater none of the people actually involved with the film are there (aside from special screenings). So i don't see much of a point, it doesn't bother me per se when people do applause i just don't tend to join in.

What's your take?

Of course none of the people involved are there, but I think it's kind of symbolic. It's a way of showing gratitude to the people behind the movie for making me spend a good couple of hours.
I applaud if I really like the movie and luckily in my country it's a very common practice.

How can anyone be such a freaking sour puss crankpot grumpy lamo about applauding in a theater? As long as it's in context and not random for no reason its a fantastic thing. When a film has the audience by the balls and something pays off well I love it when the audiences gives a cheer and whoop. It makes the experience more of a community thing. Applause at the end of a good film are also gratifying.

Jeez people, lighten the hell up. Do you hate it when people laugh at a comedy too?

:up:
How can anyone be such a freaking sour puss crankpot grumpy lamo about applauding in a theater? As long as it's in context and not random for no reason its a fantastic thing. When a film has the audience by the balls and something pays off well I love it when the audiences gives a cheer and whoop. It makes the experience more of a community thing. Applause at the end of a good film are also gratifying.

Jeez people, lighten the hell up. Do you hate it when people laugh at a comedy too?

The things I have a problem with are people talking, using their cellphones or otherwise acting like the theater is their living room. Applause and laughter are appropriate reactions to a film. Otherwise, people should sit down, shut up and watch.

The things I have a problem with are people talking, using their cellphones or otherwise acting like the theater is their living room. Applause and laughter are appropriate reactions to a film. Otherwise, people should sit down, shut up and watch.

This is a given. I just can't imagine getting annoyed at appropriate theater participation. It's only been happening for literally decades and decades. Like really, say you're watching Aliens with a packed theater and the "get away from her you *****!" scene happens...are you really gonna get pissy if people cheer at a totally cheer worthy moment? Is it not great when you're watching say, the Avengers and the audience erupts in applause when Hulk smashed the poo out of Loki? People take themselves to seriously sometimes. "HOW DARE THIS AUDIENCE GET INVESTED IN THIS FILM AND EXPRESS THEMSELVES ACCORDINGLY! THEY SHOULD ALL SIT IN SILENCE LIKE ME AND NOT EXPRESS THE AMOUNT OF FUN THEY ARE HAVING!"

Last edited:
There's no logical point to it, but if it's something special that's rewarded my investment in it, sure, I applaud. For example, I applauded Deathly Hallows: Part 2, I applauded The Dark Knight Rises - event movies like that. Plenty of others applauded those too, and I love hearing that.

I've never applauded. It's lame, but not a big deal. It's one of the reasons unless I have to see it opening night, I choose to wait awhile if at all to watch a movie at the theaters.

Rarely happens where i'm from but I got a chance to be part of it during my visits to the US - it was quite a novelty and I honestly loved it

All for it and should be encouraged, but being British (and in particular English) the reservation is there not too from audiences sadly.

I also always stay for the credits, all film makers deserve the acknowledgement and credit for their work.

As long as it is at the end of the movie when the credits start, I do not mind it. I absolutely hate it when I'm in a theatre with an obnoxious audience that feels the need to applaud at every great scene

I'm for it as long as it's not overdone. Example: At the midnight premiere for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen back in '09, my audience did three separate claps for the DreamWorks logo, the Paramount logo, and the "DreamWorks and Paramount present" title card.

It's never happened all the times I've been to the cinema. I kinda hope it would happen at some point, just to see if loads of people would join in. It would be a cool atmosphere I think, loving a movie that much.

The concept of applauding and shouting at certain scenes doesn't exist in the UK.

Applauding at the end of a movie is an American practice, and imo a silly one.

Laughter and cheers, pure instinctual emotional responses? That's cool.

But actually forcing yourself to applaud or cheer or whatever? Well that isn't a natural instinctual response, so it's kinda obnoxious and disingenuous.

Laughter and cheers, pure instinctual emotional responses? That's cool.

But actually forcing yourself to applaud or cheer or whatever? Well that isn't a natural instinctual response, so it's kinda obnoxious and disingenuous.

Indeed, it's very self-absorbed.

You liked the movie and you think everybody else needs to know.

Very stereotypically American lol.

lol yea we don't get that over here.

When i'm walking out i'll hear the occasional "what do you say old bean? good show or what?" :awesome:

I rarely do it myself, but it doesn't really bother me much at all.

If you're watching football in your own home, and your team scores a goal, you shout and cheer, right?. The players aren't there, yet you feel like celebrating.
Well, this is the same thing. You enjoyed the film, so you applaud. It's a symbol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"