Your opinion of applauding at the theater?

I don't partake but it has been enjoyable at times, like when I saw TDK. The movie's events were so fantastic it became overwhelming until people began clapping in unison, I was only able to take a breathe and let everything sink in. It was such a natural reaction for everyone to start clapping on the right time.

There's been other times where it's not warranted and can be distracting, especially if it's during the movie and not the credits.

Yes for after the film. An example for me would be Whiplash. Great movie with a lot of applause worthy parts, particularly Andrew's solos, but the audience erupted into applause when it was over because of HOW it ended. And at least if it's during the credits, you don't have to hear anything else from the film unless there's music playing.

But it really does depend on the film and audience.

I don't remember doing it myself and i only remember once that happening, it was on The Crow.

But i did called a movie crap and had other people agreeing with me, it was in Batman & Robin.

Seems dumb to me. When I saw Michael Jackson This Is It in the theatre, people clapped after every song. If the performer isn't there to hear you applause, why do it?

Seems dumb to me. When I saw Michael Jackson This Is It in the theatre, people clapped after every song. If the performer isn't there to hear you applause, why do it?

It's symbolic. It means you or the people around you enjoyed it.
Do you cheer in your home when your sports team scores a goal or whatever? Even though the players aren't hiding in your kitchen, you do it. Same thing but with more people.

I don't see the point of it and feel embarrassed to do so at a non-live event.

If it were the 1920's or something maybe it would be appropriate as going to the theatre more of an event. Nowadays it just seems a bit sheltered to do so although if others want to take no issue with. I just kind of feel weird doing it in this scenario in these times.

If it were a sundance movie theatre where we could have wine then maybe I could see it moreso.

It's a fickle thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I suppose it feels right if the film is a real triumph.

E.G.

When I saw Superman the movie in 1978, the audience clapped and cheered (and so did I !). Similarly, when I saw Return of the King in 2003, most of the audience clapped at the end.

And of course going to special premiere events:

- I won tickets to see TDKR (which meant I saw it 2 days ahead of general audiences in North America - due to the time difference). As it was a special event the audience clapped afterwards. I thought it was justified.

Like I said it's just one of those things that feels right at the time, or doesn't . It's an audience vibe. I can't remember going to a film where people clapped and it just felt wrong.

I usually don't do it because it might bother other people. I unfortunately have never been in a movie where everyone cheered ay some part of thr film.

I don't do it because it's distracting, but I've heard it done at just about every superhero movie I've been to. Like when WW showed up in BvS people cheered. In man of steel they cheered when lois kissed superman. I can't stand it.

The whole theater clapped & cheered several times during TFA. I felt that it added to the atmosphere overall.

Last time I saw it happen was with X-Men: Apocalypse, of all movies. I liked the movie, but a guy few seats from me started whooping and clapping at the end, and that's quite a lot. No one joined in and he left looking ashamed. I felt sorry for him, but that was still kind of hilarious :'D

Isn't really much of a thing in my theater. That said, some films DO deserve a round of applause.

I can't imagine viewing, let's say, Schindler's List in a theater without standing up and clapping until your hands hurt and your eyes dry up by the time it's done.

Been to some Star Wars sceenings where the iconic intro music starts and people clap and that is of course just excitement but at the end of a film?

Seems pointless but harmless.

I don't do it, but I usually enjoy it when others do, as I usually agree with them.

I don't mind, as long as it doesn't become distracting.

At my theater, there is rarely applause. People applauded several times during the opening night showing of The Force Awakens (during the title crawl, when the Falcon was revealed, and maybe when Han and Chewie walk onscreen, but I don't remember that one for sure). Nothing during the opening night of Rogue One, which I found odd.

I enjoy doing it and hearing it. The best applause I've ever been apart of at a theater was for Iron Man. I went to the midnight showing at a theater that held over 300 people. It was a sold out show, and just about everyone stayed til after the credits. When Sam Jackson uttered those words "...Avengers Initiative..." the place erupted! Standing ovation. Cheering. The whole nine yards. You would've thought we just won the Super Bowl. One of the best movie going experiences I've witnessed.

I'm just not generally a loud person. When People do it at the end of a movie, I'm usually out of the theater quicker so thats a plus for me.

I really love it when people start clapping. It's just nice to appreciate a piece of art. Of course, the person who made it doesn't hear the applause, but it's simply a beautiful way of everyone saying "Hey, we all loved this!"

I think I've only seen it happen with the first Harry Potter, the third Lord of the Rings and maybe Spider-Man 2. Goofy (I wouldn't do it myself) but understandable and even a little fun, it shows the audience had pretty high expectations and even with that they were very satisfied.

I think its great actually as long as its not constantly. Truth is its pretty rare so that makes it a good experience for me. Especially when you really liked what it was that made others clap.

I just got back form seeing Justice league again this time with son and middle daughter and the audience clapped after the finale. Only time I've seen that before was at midnight premieres. Specifically the last time was MOS premiere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"