Your Profession

Flash525

The Scarlet Messenger
Reaction score
Just a matter of curiosity really, and maybe as a result, some inspiration for myself, but what is it that everyone here does for employment? How long have you done it? Do you enjoy it? Are you looking for something new/different and (if so) how do you plan on going about that?

Me? My job title is a Qualification Technician and to summarise that, it's the role of me (and a small team) to inspect, build, and high-pressure test valves (essentially giant taps) for the Oil & Gas industry. I've been in this line of work pushing 14 years now, and I want out, though I'm not entirely sure how to go about that.

I work shifts which allows for £6000 ($7650) a year of which I kinda' rely on for my mortgage and other expenses, the downside to that is evening college courses cannot be attended. I'm a little sceptical and distrustful of online courses too, one in the sense that their representatives never quite seem trustworthy (their job is essentially in sales anyway) and the other is that I'd not want to wind up on a course in something I was otherwise unsure about progressing with.

My obvious problem is the pay cut which will no doubt be a factor in any new profession as I'd have to (naturally) start at the bottom and work my way up again.

I now refer you back to my first paragraph. :cool:

May I say @Flash525 that sounds an interesting job/role but obviously your reasons for wishing to 'move & extend oneself' to new pastures is a great opportunity for you.

What do you feel you would 'like' to do, that's an essential part of the decision making, if you feel you have choice (but I take on board the financial angle) you were talking about and it's a major factor, I appreciate.

I would write a list on a clear piece of A4 what fields of work, you'd like to work at, what is needed, with research, to enter it and then re-construct or tailor your CV to that industries' 'template' look as to how they like their CV's received, to look.

Me Personally ?

Now, I'm a freelance script editor and I do temp work to financially support that, as it doesn't pay as much as I need to supplement life by way of all the necessary things we all need (food, rent, clothing, bills etc.)

I did a Business Management course at University then added my Film Diploma to that.

I was in the NHS for years but got made redundant in 2012 and re-built / re-worked from there.

Last edited:
May I say @Flash525 that sounds an interesting job/role but obviously your reasons for wishing to 'move & extend oneself' to new pastures is a great opportunity for you.
It was interesting, to some degree at least. I'm not remotely mechanically or technology minded, at least to the level some of my colleagues are. I get by. The problem I now have is that there's no progression, and the work is too varied (in that when it's busy it's busy, but when it's quiet, it's mentally draining to try and stay busy) that I just need an escape.

What do you feel you would 'like' to do, that's an essential part of the decision making, if you feel you have choice (but I take on board the financial angle) you were talking about and it's a major factor, I appreciate.
Heh, well there's a few avenues I've looked at going down, the two main ones being a councillor or fiction writer (author?).

To become a councillor, I'd need four years worth of studying and degree level qualifications. I've already researched this and have spoken to some actual counsellors about how to get involved. The problem is, as stated, it's four years, which require evening courses (and more) which I can't financially afford to attend - not specifically because I can't afford the courses, I could, but because I'd have to come off the shift rotation at work which would hinder my living situation (and in turn, would make it so that I actually couldn't afford the courses - if that makes sense).

I have enrolled with the Samaritans and a Youth Support group locally to give me some insight into that world, but I don't realistically see how I can progress. The writing aspect is even trickier, because it's not just about writing a novel or whatever, I'd need to get financed and then have an agent of some sort (presumably?); I have all these weird and wonderful ideas floating around in my head, but I simply cannot put them down on paper. I wouldn't even know where to start, and believe me, I've tried.

I've considered venues like conservation, hotel/hospitality, working with animals etc, but they either require degree level qualifications and experience, or they simply don't pay enough. Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting a pay cut - I'm in no way expecting to walk out of here and into somewhere else with the same pay, but the differences I'm coming across are astronomical and unaffordable.

I was in the NHS for years but got made redundant in 2012 and re-built / re-worked from there.
I have nothing but respect for anyone who works in the NHS, or other such organisations. Have you considered going back to the NHS? If you've got experience, they're seemingly always advertising for roles. I was, for a short while, subscribed to their mailing list, and I received a stupid number of job vacancies.

@Flash525

Yep, sorry man, it comes down to finance, sadly in terms of what is 'realistically' achievable. The only equated example I can give you was I was accepted into the National Film & Television School but couldn't afford the fees (even with a scholarship support) so I chose Raindance instead and took the fact that I'd been accepted by NFTS as a 'lift'.

My brother is training to become a counsellor, his course is 5 years long, (he's just finished year 2 and one can have a practice after 3 years), the enrolments you've undertaken sound really promising. As far as animals or hospitality, the National Trust (by way of combining both) may be an option, I am looking to volunteer with them this year.

The writing job is yes far more 'shaky' I'm afraid, agents will be required but I am currently studying with an on-line group based in Manchester who you work with at your own pace on specific area of writing (inc. novel writing), I could send you the details if you'd like.

NHS job was specific to a project management role that they deemed not required anymore (hence the redundancy), I'd have to, like you, go in lower level again. It's definitely an option mate, that I have and still would consider.

Yep, sorry man, it comes down to finance, sadly in terms of what is 'realistically' achievable. The only equated example I can give you was I was accepted into the National Film & Television School but couldn't afford the fees (even with a scholarship support) so I chose Raindance instead and took the fact that I'd been accepted by NFTS as a 'lift'.
Yeah, it's a bummer. Long gone are the days where you could truly learn on the job. Now you've got to prove that you can learn on the job by doing a long and costly course, only to actually go and learn more on the job afterwards. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying companies should open their doors for just anyone, but they don't make it easy for anyone who's wanting to make something of their life if they don't have the financial backing.

My brother is training to become a counsellor, his course is 5 years long, (he's just finished year 2 and one can have a practice after 3 years), the enrolments you've undertaken sound really promising. As far as animals or hospitality, the National Trust (by way of combining both) may be an option, I am looking to volunteer with them this year.
Well firstly, good on your brother. I'd apply within the National Trust, but between what will be my time with the Samaritans and the Youth Support group, in addition to work and having some time to myself, I don't think I'd have room for anything else.

The writing job is yes far more 'shaky' I'm afraid, agents will be required but I am currently studying with an on-line group based in Manchester who you work with at your own pace on specific area of writing (inc. novel writing), I could send you the details if you'd like.
If you wouldn't mind? It would at least be something for me to look over. :-)

NHS job was specific to a project management role that they deemed not required anymore (hence the redundancy), I'd have to, like you, go in lower level again. It's definitely an option mate, that I have and still would consider.
Well hopefully something will come up; whether it's the same job or not. You at least have experience of the management area behind you, that's gotta' count for something, somewhere.

The only flipside to all this is employers 'know' the 'job for life' days are well over so they account for that and having multiple jobs or taking a 'longer' route to a destination are perfectly valid these days and I suppose I count myself out on this one, in the sense I always knew I would not have a 'high end' job from day one given my educational background and start in life so I knew my financial 'glass ceiling' as such would be low or middle at best.

Will PM you the course details by all means. :up:

The only flipside to all this is employers 'know' the 'job for life' days are well over so they account for that and having multiple jobs or taking a 'longer' route to a destination are perfectly valid these days and I suppose I count myself out on this one, in the sense I always knew I would not have a 'high end' job from day one given my educational background and start in life so I knew my financial 'glass ceiling' as such would be low or middle at best.
That's what irks me sometimes though, when you meet people (usually those who are already established) who say that anyone can do anything if they put their mind to it. That's BS. There's more to doing something than the desire to do something. Some people, for various reasons, be that financial, emotional, physical (etc) just aren't in a position to do whatever it is that they crave the desire to actually do.

I don't particularly wish to live the life of fame and fortune. All I care for is a comfortable life, a good group of friends, a job that I (mostly) enjoy and, eventually, a partner to share the rest of my life with and maybe start a family with, possibly with a Dog, we'll see on that one. :rolleyes: I'm not after a mansion and private airplane; even if I won that £115 Euro Jackpot the other week, I can tell you right now that I still wouldn't have purchased a mansion with it. Simple pleasures are what I'm all about.

Will PM you the course details by all means.
Appreciated.

Absolutely same thinking as you. Whether we like it or not, this 'aspirational' dream that young people are given these days that the world can be achieved is BS, the world is unfair and often s**ts on you and everyone is scrabbling to stay alive.

I want what you describe, just really simple things, I'm not materialistic in any way (outside of loving my film collection), I need not for anything by way of 'big' representative items.

A safe roof over my head, in my lounge, with my cat and to have someone to share my life with and explore and seek adventures together.

I work as a bilingual assistant at this IP (intellectual property) agent's firm.

I like it, absolutely not crazy about it but it allows me to have my own place and the possibility of going abroad every two years or so. If it were for me, I would own a bar and a wood shop :D

Went to Uni for several years and tried many careers, but I got bored and quit (I get bored easily!): tried fashion design, English translator and PR/event management

I'm an architectural designer (can't call myself an architect as I'm not licensed). Don't think I plan on getting my license since I don't plan on owning my own firm, nor do I want to pay the fees every year for something I'm not using. I'm more so interested in and enjoy 3D modeling/rendering, so if anything I'd start my own company doing that if possible at some point.

Been working since 2008, and have been in residential (low-mid-high rise) for about 6 years in NYC. It's been very disheartening over the last few years working in this sector and has skewed my view on the field since most developers/owners are idiots and don't give a **** about people/neighborhoods, just the cash/profits. I'm a native Brooklynite and I'm pretty sure in about 10 years I'll be priced out of my hometown. On top of that the hours are terrible a lot of the time (not everywhere but it is very common in the profession), and not only do I not get paid enough, but very few offices pay overtime. Hell I think it should become a federal law that all jobs pay it over an 8 hour day. That being said, unless you really love the profession, or work in a less cut throat sector, it's not worth it.

If I could go back to my HS self I'd tell me to go into computers/networking to be honest. Sure I could try to get into something else now, but I don't have the time, money or patience for it.

I like it, absolutely not crazy about it but it allows me to have my own place and the possibility of going abroad every two years or so. If it were for me, I would own a bar and a wood shop.
Aye, this is pretty much what gets me through some days; the knowledge that I have my own place, car, bikes, and can afford (realistically) whatever I want to buy. I wouldn't mind owning a café somewhere, or a bar in the Mediterranean, but one can't be too optimistic now. :p

I'm an architectural designer (can't call myself an architect as I'm not licensed). Don't think I plan on getting my license since I don't plan on owning my own firm, nor do I want to pay the fees every year for something I'm not using. I'm more so interested in and enjoy 3D modeling/rendering, so if anything I'd start my own company doing that if possible at some point.
This is one of the avenues I was interested in back in college, but I guess I didn't have the patience to learn how to do any of it (not that they were teaching this at college; I'd have had to go into uni I suppose). Some of what can be done with modelling, rendering etc though, is quite simply astonishing. I'm surprised there aren't more opportunities for people like you who are capable of this sort of stuff, especially when it's widely used within todays media. Then again, I suppose most companies want certificates to say you've studied and qualified for x number of years, rather than something you've done and built up as a hobby/interest; and then, would you want to take such a hobby/interest and it become a means of employment? Might suck the joy out of it.

Been working since 2008, and have been in residential (low-mid-high rise) for about 6 years in NYC. It's been very disheartening over the last few years working in this sector and has skewed my view on the field since most developers/owners are idiots and don't give a **** about people/neighborhoods, just the cash/profits. I'm a native Brooklynite and I'm pretty sure in about 10 years I'll be priced out of my hometown. On top of that the hours are terrible a lot of the time (not everywhere but it is very common in the profession), and not only do I not get paid enough, but very few offices pay overtime. Hell I think it should become a federal law that all jobs pay it over an 8 hour day. That being said, unless you really love the profession, or work in a less cut throat sector, it's not worth it.
Unfortunately, this seems to be the way of city life. I live in the country, and whilst it's not as high paid, it (seems) far less competitive, and as a result, less stressful. I honestly don't think I could ever live and work in a city, especially one as big as NYC. I thought (upon visitation) that London was too hectic, let alone somewhere like NY.

I work as a bilingual assistant at this IP (intellectual property) agent's firm.

I like it, absolutely not crazy about it but it allows me to have my own place and the possibility of going abroad every two years or so. If it were for me, I would own a bar and a wood shop :D

Went to Uni for several years and tried many careers, but I got bored and quit (I get bored easily!): tried fashion design, English translator and PR/event management

Owning a bar and wood shop would be just awesome lines of business to be able to place one's self into, really hope these come off for you HP :up:

I work in a supermarket deli and have worked at this location for over 3 years. I worked at a now out of business deli for 8 years previously. I never intended to work in this profession nearly as long as I have, but that's the way it has worked out. I went to grad school to earn my master's in Library and Information Science and graduated 5 years ago but I still haven't found meaningful employment.

Some of what can be done with modelling, rendering etc though, is quite simply astonishing. I'm surprised there aren't more opportunities for people like you who are capable of this sort of stuff, especially when it's widely used within todays media. Then again, I suppose most companies want certificates to say you've studied and qualified for x number of years, rather than something you've done and built up as a hobby/interest; and then, would you want to take such a hobby/interest and it become a means of employment? Might suck the joy out of it.

That's also the problem with being a renderer: same cut-throat/constant deadline environment that leads to long hours and stress. I've done some free lance and have been fortunate working with people who weren't the type of client who wanted a million things changed constantly, but I also way undercharged. I'd love to have my own business doing it just so I can dictate the schedules/contracts and make them more malleable to benefit me or my potential staff.

Usually with 3D work you don't need a degree, just more so a nice portfolio that shows you know what you're doing, can render realistically or to a high quality, have an artistic eye and are familiar with whichever software/render engine the company uses.

I work as a emergency medical (911) dispatcher. Been doing it for about 8 years. I absolutely love it! I work alternating 12 hour shifts, 7a - 7p.

As a side project/business, I'm a carpenter. I build anything from dressers, beds, desks, and chairs, to custom board games and kids toys.

I work as a emergency medical (911) dispatcher. Been doing it for about 8 years. I absolutely love it! I work alternating 12 hour shifts, 7a - 7p.

As a side project/business, I'm a carpenter. I build anything from dressers, beds, desks, and chairs, to custom board games and kids toys.

Carpenter, how cool! I'd love to own a wood shop... :) and also a bar.

giphy.gif

Just an update on the NT voluntary work I'd spoken of on the first page, got a meeting on Sunday morning with them at our local park to discuss a position with them on the garden & landscaping side of things which is exciting and something that I'll know will interest me.

Just an update on the NT voluntary work I'd spoken of on the first page, got a meeting on Sunday morning with them at our local park to discuss a position with them on the garden & landscaping side of things which is exciting and something that I'll know will interest me.
Good Luck dude! :cool:

Was and am looking for more writing jobs to add what I work with now and submitted my CV 'on the hoof' to one particular angle and its come up a winner, been taken on as a 'staff writer' for a film review festival & website. A real 'win' of accolade for my CV and work in general and acknowledgement, I am so happy. God this year's going well. :-)

I work in a factory. I am a college graduate but that's where the 20.00 minimum I'm looking at per hr is at. :sigh:

Last edited:
Was and am looking for more writing jobs to add what I work with now and submitted my CV 'on the hoof' to one particular angle and its come up a winner, been taken on as a 'staff writer' for a film review festival & website. A real 'win' of accolade for my CV and work in general and acknowledgement, I am so happy. God this year's going well.
Really happy for you dude. I told you this was going to be your year, not that I'm bragging or anything. :cool:

I work in a factory. I am a college graduate but that's where the 20.00 minimum I'm looking at per hr is at.
I can totally relate to this; as dull as factory work can be (and in my case, is) it doesn't pay all that bad for, in your case, an entry level job. Even in my case, it's not bad pay, though I am working shifts - I'd be at a loss, financially (£6,000), if that ever changed.

Database admin for a well known bank everybody on here probably knows or has dealt with at some point. Ironically working for a bank does not pay as much as you would think.

Database admin for a well known bank everybody on here probably knows or has dealt with at some point. Ironically working for a bank does not pay as much as you would think.
That's probably because your bank manager is reaping in the excess toward their bonus. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I’m a tax accountant. I worked in public accounting for a little over 3 years and recently switched over to industry doing corporate accounting. Best part is the 9-5 schedule other than quarters and year end closing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"