Your Top 5 Books Right now?

God, yes. I prefer CAA to just about everything I read, except those I listed above it.

really? huh, hadn't heard anybody say anything about that book, so I just assumed it was so-so at best

It's mind-blowingly good. The fact that it has to end eventually pains me.

why's it so good?

come on Leaguer, pitch it to me (not that I need to be picking up another book). All I know is he's got a new look and he's stuck in the Wildstorm universe

It's about CA trying to get out of the Wildstorm universe, because a) he wants to return home and b) something, somehow, turned him into a living bomb, and when he goes off, the entire Wildstorm world will be destroyed. As he goes around trying to get back, he meets up all the big-shots of the Wildstorm universe, including Majestic, the WildCATS and the Authority.

The writing is superb, from the dialogue to the characterization to the fights to the very cool ways he uses his powers to the interaction between characters. Although CA ends up fighting everyone he meets, the encounters are still made to be believable, and doesn't reek of the same fight-for-fight's-sake stench that plagues Supergirl. The book also explores the stranger-in-a-strange-land aspect, with Captain Atom shocked and horrified at the drastic difference in the super-hero community between the WU and the DCU, particularly at the fact that the human population in general is terrified of super-heroes. And then there's the fact that Captain Atom hasn't been this badass in decades. All in all, it's cool as Hell.

To top it all off, the art is superb.

what issue is it up to? trade planned anytime soon? I'll give the first arc a shot on your say so

It's a 9-issue mini, issue 5 came out two weeks ago. I'm sure they'll be quick to put out a trade, since the mini is going to be used to kick-start a revitalization of Wildstorm thats going to include a ton of superstar-status creators.

Infinite Crisis
Ultimates 2
X-factor
Batman
Runaways

Ok, you gotta be really bored to sit at a computer and run useless stats for your own amusement. Well, it's nearly 6 AM, and I'm bored. So here's the tally's from everyone's responses in this thread so far. It's not 100% accurate because I think some people were only listing their top Marvel books, and some weren't or were including miniseries. Divided it up into several sections (also had to ignore Silver Sables vague vote for just "spidey", and anyone who made a 6th choice of some kind, to make it fair)

Overall
Young Avengers iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii16
Ult 2 iiiiiiiiiiiiii14
Runaways iiiiiiiiiiiii13
New Avengers iiiiiiiiiiii12
Captain America iiiiiiiiii10
Daredevil iiiiiiiii9
Amazing Spider-Man iiiiiiii8
Infinite Crisis iiiiiii7
Ult Fantastic Four iiiiiii7
Batman iiiiii6
Astonishing X-Men iiiiii6
X-Factor iiiii5
Ult Spider-man iiiii5
Punisher iiiii5
Fantastic Four iiiii5
Fables iiiii5
FN Spider-man iiii4
Marvel Team Up iiii4
Invincible iiii4
JSA iiii4
Sensational Spider-man iii3
Spider-girl iii3
Walking Dead iii3
Cable/Deadpool iii3
X-Men iii3
Ult X-Men ii2
Thing ii2
Supreme Power ii2
Hulk ii2
She-Hulk ii2
Green Arrow ii2
Adventures of Superman ii2
Captain Atom: ii2
Teen Titans ii2
Justice ii2
DMZ ii2
Y: The Last Man ii2
Spider-Man Loves MJ i
Ult Wolverine vs Hulk i
Dead Girl i
Amazing Fantasy i
Marvel Knights: 4 i
New X-Men i
Nextwave i
Black Panther i
Books of Doom i
Book of Lost Souls i
Exiles i
Birds of Prey i
JLA i
Superman i
Wonder Woman i
Majestic i
Nightwing i
Superman/Batman i
Jonah Hex i
Legion i
Loveless i
The Darkness i
Spawn i
Powers i
Queen Bomb i

Marvel
Young Avengers iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii16
Ult 2 iiiiiiiiiiiiii14
Runaways iiiiiiiiiiiii13
New Avengers iiiiiiiiiiii12
Captain America iiiiiiiiii10
Daredevil iiiiiiiii9
X-Factor iiiii5
Ult Spider-man iiiii5
Punisher iiiii5
Fantastic Four iiiii5
FN Spider-man iiii4
Marvel Team Up iiii4
Spider-girl iii3
Cable/Deadpool iii3
X-Men iii3
Ult X-Men ii2
Thing ii2
Supreme Power ii2
Hulk ii2
She-Hulk ii2
Spider-Man Loves MJ i
Ult Wolverine vs Hulk i
Dead Girl i
Amazing Fantasy i
Marvel Knights: 4 i
New X-Men i
Nextwave i
Black Panther i
Books of Doom i
Book of Lost Souls i
Exiles i

DC
Infinite Crisis iiiiiii7
Batman iiiiii6
Fables iiiii5
JSA iiii4
Green Arrow ii2
Adventures of Superman ii2
Captain Atom: ii2
Teen Titans ii2
Justice ii2
DMZ ii2
Birds of Prey i
JLA i
Superman i
Wonder Woman i
Majestic i
Nightwing i
Superman/Batman i
Jonah Hex i
Legion i
Loveless i

Ultimate
Ult 2 iiiiiiiiiiiiii14
Ult Spider-man iiiii5
Ult X-Men ii2
Ult Wolverine vs Hulk i

Spider-Man
Ult Spider-man iiiii5
FN Spider-man iiii4
Spider-girl iii3
Spider-Man Loves MJ i

X-Men
X-Factor iiiii5
Cable/Deadpool iii3
X-Men iii3
Ult X-Men ii2
New X-Men i
Exiles i

1. Infinite Crisis
2. Captain America
3. Daredevil
4. Young Avengers
5. Sensational Spider-man

These are my *current* choices, liable to change in the next few weesk methinks

Geeez Elijya - things must be slow:eek:

goob job though :up:

Ah I remember back in the day when everyone was like Young Avengers is teen titan rip-off. The guy who writes for The OC cant write to save his life. And then I Darthphere, the voice of reason said this was going to surprise everyone and will be one of Marvel's best books. Judging by this I was right all along. Please feel free to PM me with your offerings. Thank you.

In no particular order...

Spider-Girl
Runaways
Young Avengers
Exiles
Marvel Team-Up
and Thing is tied somewhere.

WOLVERINE25TH said:
In no particular order...

Spider-Girl
Runaways
Young Avengers
Exiles
Marvel Team-Up
and Thing is tied somewhere.

Where did you tie him up you bastard?!

UK_Stu said:
Geeez Elijya - things must be slow:eek:

goob job though :up:
thanks

it's annoying because Hype won't let me line up the bar columns

1. New Avengers
2. Astonishing X-Men
3. Captain America
4. Daredevil
5. Sentry

1. Infinite Crisis
2. Iron Man (Combining both the regular series and INEVITABLE here, since the rate they both come out is basically the release of one normal comic :p )
3. Green Lantern
4. Ultimates
5. New Avengers (Just barely hanging on, think i'll be dropping it with issue 16)

if you're barely hanging on, why is it on your top 5 list? :confused:

are you only reading 5 books?

1) The New Avengers
2) Amazing Spider-Man
3) Captain America
4) Daredevil
5) Black Panther

1) JSA
2) Legion of Superheroes
3) Action Comics
4) She-Hulk
5) Green Lantern

Powers-This is a book that mixes so many genres it's not even funny. It's also a book that changes it's own status quo on a routine basis now. Most creator owned books wouldn't want to change the things that made the book a hit in the first place. (Although mainstream comics are more guilty of this.) But Powers has switched directions so many times that what brought someone into the series in the beginning is not why they're reading it now. I can honestly say I have no idea what's going to hapen next in an issue of Powers and that's what makes it the best book on the market.

DD-Speaking of not being afraid to change the status quo. Bendis' run has turned this into Marvels best and most daring book. DD's ID revealed to the world and there was no easy way out. In fact there is no out at all for Murdock. When Bendis and Maleev started this everyone figured that an easy out wouldn't be to far along but Bendis knew that the reality of a hero dealing with this would make for a more interesting and compelling read.

Fables-I'm a sucker for books that are obviously well researched and that make me go out and do research myself. Fables brought back alot of characters I had totally forgotten about and reminded me why these story's and characters have been around forever.

Rex Mundi-Another book that's well researched and forces me to go out and study up on ancient history. This book is the search for the holy grail in the form of a murder mystery. It's fiction that's based on facts. How can you not love that?

Y Last Man-Vaughan took every guys fantasy and turned it into a nightmare. He's also explored so many different aspects of this world without men and taken a realistic look at what the world would be like I have little doubt that this is what actually happen if all the men were killed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"