You're the Worst: The Final Season

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Deck Rickard, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard We are all the Snyder Cut

The final season of You're the Worst premieres this week! Will Jimmy and Gretchen actually go through with the wedding? Will Edgar and Lindsay become more than just friends with benefits? Will Sam and S**stain reconcile with Honeynutz? Will Becca relent and allow Paul to impregnate her naturally so that Vernon can watch?

I can't wait to see how it all wraps up. Love this show.

antsman41 likes this.
  2. _Superman_

_Superman_ Man Of Steel

There's already a thread for this show.

3. Deck Rickard

Awesome.

Anyway, that premiere was... odd. I know they've done some of these break-the-format episodes in the past but I think that doing one in the premiere was a bit of a misstep. It's a little annoying to have to wait yet another week to really catch up to where the characters are. The only revelation here was that Jimmy and Gretchen are in the process of planning the wedding, which we pretty much could have guessed. Not sure why they started the final season in such an odd way but I'm sure future episodes will be better.

4. antsman41

antsman41 Belongs To Prince

I loved how it was a twisted version of the Before... trilogy done through Gretchen/Jimmy’s typical way of cons.

5. Deck Rickard

Never saw those movies... is that what they were homaging? I guess I need to watch that series. Always heard that it's really good. I think the very, very end was a Usual Suspects homage.

6. Deck Rickard

Anyone else still watching? The flashforwards have been interesting. From what I can tell...

Gretchen and Jimmy break up right before (or perhaps during) the wedding. This culminates in Gretchen getting wasted and wrecking the car Jimmy bought her--hence the reason why she's not drinking (or wasn't for a period of time) and why the car is messed up.

The wedding that Jimmy and the florist are going to is Lindsay and Edgar's. I suspect this because Lindsay is with Gretchen by the pool in that one scene where Gretchen asks if "he" (presumably Jimmy) will be there, and because we later see a flashforward of Edgar in a tuxedo fleeing from something. My guess is, his PTSD kicks in right before the wedding ceremony.

7. antsman41

I know it might not be correct... to do. But, I really wanted Jimmy/Gretch to be an endgame of craziness.

They’re perfect for each other.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  8. Deck Rickard

Yeah, I do want them to end up together. In their own way they're perfect for each other. Though I think this season has kinda shown that Gretchen is worse than Jimmy. I never thought I'd say that after Jimmy ditched her on the side of a hill, but... here we are.

antsman41 likes this.
  9. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Registered

See, I'm the exact opposite on wanting them to end together. If anything, Jimmy and Gretchen's relationship needs to end in failure. Like Edgar said in the recent episode, they'll destroy each other. Whatever thing they have, it's going to end in failure. They may be perfect for each other and only each other, but that doesn't make them any less toxic. Soon enough, they'll have to part and go their separate ways, which is what I hope happens in the series finale.

10. antsman41

Already sad.

11. antsman41

That was perfect and might be the best series finale this show could have ever had.

I laughed, I cried... I cried laughing.

This show was magnificent from start to finish. That’s rare to say.

12. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Registered

Okay, so I was half-right. They didn't get married, but they also didn't break up. Rather, just taking it one-day at a time, knowing things could inevitably go south at any moment. Sort of like how this whole thing between Jimmy and Gretchen started. It's the sort of ending that completely fits with their characters and doesn't betray anything for the sake of a happy ending because, like Gretchen said, things could go wrong at any moment.

Great sendoff to a great series. Now look forward to the spiritual successor: Married.

[​IMG]

13. _Superman_

_Superman_ Man Of Steel

I was just so happy they didn't pull a How I Met Your Mother on us.

14. Deck Rickard

I have mixed feelings about the finale. Overall, the Gretchen and Jimmy storyline ended in the best way it could. They're together, but not married, so it keeps the whole "one foot out the door" thing intact. And it's just like them to ditch all of their wedding guests to go eat breakfast. I also really liked Edgar finally realizing he had to completely disconnect from Jimmy to grow in his own professional and personal life.

But... what the actual **** was up with the way they wrapped up Lindsay's storyline? That's the grand reveal? She remarries the guy she HATED so much that she banged other dudes in front of him and stabbed him in the back? I know having her end up with Edgar would have been predictable, but this felt like even more of a massive copout. Honestly, it seemed like they didn't know what to do with Lindsay all season. She seemed to be growing as a character up until this point, working in the fashion industry, and then they just dropped that entirely to make her Gretchen's assistant. And just when that seemed to be something that could help her grow, as well as her exploration of bisexuality, they ended it just as quickly by having her get fired and dumped simultaneously. I really felt like they dropped the ball with her this season.

Also, I wish Sam, S-Stain and Honeynutz 2 would have had more to do in the finale. They are an important part in the show, yet their role was even less prominent than Ben Folds. I wish we could have seen a bit more of them, and maybe had a reunion with the original Honeynutz (I can't believe he wouldn't have come back for one episode unless there's some bad blood there).

I don't know. Overall it was a pretty good final season but it missed out on being a great one, especially after an overall stellar run. The first season in particular is up there with my favorite TV seasons of all time.

NotNickFury likes this.
  15. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Registered

I would agree especially with the last one. I maintain that Season 1 is one of the strongest outings for a comedy- and still the best comedy I saw in 2014.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  16. Monsieur Xavier

Monsieur Xavier Recycled

Lost.
    It was said that the final was planed from the start and it was, for me, a disappointing final if it was really planed as an ending.
    At least, it didn't went the way of the X-Files which was milked dry and the mytho went out of the wazoo.

17. Deck Rickard

Seriously. How this show gets ignored for major awards and s*** like a Will & Grace revival gets nominations makes me want to slam my head into a wall. (And yes, I know Aya Cash guest-starred on Will & Grace and Chris Geere appeared on Modern Family, but everybody's got to eat.)

18. _Superman_

_Superman_ Man Of Steel

Because it's like Sunny these type of shows always will be over looked for awards Which is so sad.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  19. _Superman_

_Superman_ Man Of Steel

As I said before I'm just glad they didn't pull a How I Met Your Mother. This ending was perfect for this show and I disagree about Lindsay because this season kept showing or having her realize everything she ever wanted was right in front of her and she just didn't realize it till then.

20. Deck Rickard

So true. Always Sunny was THE funniest show on TV for a long time. Even though it's gotten a little old in recent years, it's still funnier than most of the stuff that's on right now.

_Superman_ likes this.
  21. _Superman_

_Superman_ Man Of Steel

The saddest part about all of that is Sunny never got wide spread notice by the press till they did that Seinfeld bit on the clip show.

22. Deck Rickard

So true. I don't know why it flew under the radar for so long. Though I do have to say that it might be good that some of the earlier stuff isn't fresh in people's minds these days. I was rewatching the earlier episodes and the way they handle things with Carmen (the trans woman character) was honestly pretty awful. Granted, the gang is supposed to come off terrible throughout the whole thing, but some of the language used regarding her was just wrong.