Justice League Zack Snyder’s Justice League HBO Max Release: Movie Or Mini-Series?

Some are speculating that the series will actually be 6 hours, sounds like if it’s a film it’s gonna be edited differently to if it’s a movie so a movie would need to be shorter

I want to see this, I think it will be much better than Whedon's version. That said, I don't see how this can work as a movie. There will be so much added backstory and character subplots crammed into it that it will destroy any sense of pacing. That's why I think episodes is the way to go.

I say break it up into 1hr long episodes then, if done right, put them together to make one massive cohesive film. I believe breaking them up into episodes will give the chance to build more suspense.

This.

While I prefer it as one film, if they do break it up, after it all comes out, I hope Zack will edit it as one long movie. I don't want the format to be movie (MOS), movie (BvS), series (JL). I don't mind the series format, per se, as long as it can also be seen as a long movie.

Like, the LOTR trilogy is one long 9.5 hr story (11 with EE) that's broken into 3 films. So in a sense, you could argue it's a long movie broken up into a series of smaller movies.

This.

While I prefer it as one film, if they do break it up, after it all comes out, I hope Zack will edit it as one long movie. I don't want the format to be movie (MOS), movie (BvS), series (JL). I don't mind the series format, per se, as long as it can also be seen as a long movie.

Like, the LOTR trilogy is one long 9.5 hr story (11 with EE) that's broken into 3 films. So in a sense, you could argue it's a long movie broken up into a series of smaller movies.

The only problem is that MOS and BvS were filmed in wide screen aspect ratio whereas JL was filmed in full screen.

The only problem is that MOS and BvS were filmed in wide screen aspect ratio whereas JL was filmed in full screen.
How is that a problem?

If anything, by the very nature it’s going straight to streaming, the 16:9 ratio on all consumer TVs will be a near perfect match.

Miniseries. It's something relatively new in superhero adaption. We'd probably get a bit more content and a bit more marketing content/viral stuff. And it could potentially be appreciated as its own unique superhero experience instead of endlessly being compared to Joss Whedon's film, at least as a film.

But they'll probably figure out a way to offer both options. He isn't doing this not to show how cool his project would have been/is.

Mini series with weekly episodes so HBO MAX get subscribers for 2 months atleast.

making it a film is bad business for them,

So will this be ever on DVD??

Or will I have to buy a smart tv so I can get streaming channels on tv?? Sigh

So will this be ever on DVD??

Or will I have to buy a smart tv so I can get streaming channels on tv?? Sigh

I would imagine it will eventually come out on DVD/BD. Probably a 1+ year wait after the HBO Max release.

i just hope there will be a BD release in 2021, at least for us fans outside of the states who may not get HBO Max by then.

I would prefer to see it as a FULL FILM, but from a business point it makes more sense to go the mini series route as some above have stated.

But I could see them cutting it as complete film and eventually releasing a Blu-ray of it like that.

I feel like a mini-series approach could be a great test-run for a long-form format, high production value project. If it works it might embolden WB and DC to try and attempt more projects in a similar way, and I'm kind of intrigued by the possibility of taking known and successful comic book arcs and giving them 6-8 1 hour episodes to develop in with solid talent.

The only reason it’s a 6 parter weekly is for people to keep subscribed to HBO Max for over a month.

I just hope the Snyder Cut has all the world witnessing the JL saving the world like the first Avengers film instead of just the Russian family.

Ive heard last year from rumors that it does have that but now on recent rumors there’s no sign of it.

And Superman coming back should be handled better to the public. Like at least a shot of Superman talking to the media with a lot of people witnessing it the same way MIchael Jordan came back from retirement.....a whole media frenzy.

Cmon Zack you should add that. In BVS, his death was way felt by the public so in JL, his rebirth should be as well.

I’m pretty surprised to see how close the poll is so far. I was expecting the majority to be in favor of an epic 4 hour movie as opposed to a mini-series

I think it will be a mini-series for practical reasons. It is a new streaming service and they want content to keep customers engaged longer. If I recall correctly, they said the assembly cut was 5hrs or so.?

Assuming there is also other material Snyder had to cut AND he wants to shoot even more ,- there is likely much more content available for a miniseries or - maybe Snyder is thinking to finish his 2 part JL? I always wondered if he shot extra material planning for the 2 part movie? IF he has enough and shoots scenes that could complete this vision maybe there is two - 2.5 hr films in our future that will wrap the Darkseid story?

214min cut -5hr+ assembly - shooting more material... could end up with an 6-8 part MS.

Also a Q: I thought before Snyder left JL, there was a teaser image posted showing sound mixing or scoring? The discussion was about weather or not the Snyder version was finished. The production person involved said that it was at the "picture lock" stage. Doesn't that mean complete, edited and awaiting score and final VFX only, but that the film was fully edited and Snyder approved? Appreciate clarification.

I don't thinks it's a problem any way they do it. Just glad he is getting the chance to finish his vision for us and those involved.

Even tho MOS and BvS have some flaws, they are beautiful and thoughtful and I look forward to seeing JL with the same tone.

It's a streaming service so imho it make sense to release JL as a short series. Also, we'll likely get substantial character development.

I feel like Snyder’s storytelling would suit the longer form of episodes rather than a long movie.

It wouldn't make any sense to make it a mini series and release them all at once. I'm up for a 4 hour epic, to be honest, but if they could make it 6 one hour episodes released weekly that would be cool too.

Yeah Snyder is just so big on visual cues with his storytelling that it will probably complement long-form storytelling better than any movie could. I say that because of the way we as fans engage with long form content now. We dissect and theorize for weeks on end. Think of Westworld and how much was extrapolated from the story based on a different in-show logo.

Snyder packs so much of his story into the minutiae, into the background, that it's not the kinda thing that resonates with one movie imo. Like, it's okay to have an episode that leaves you scratching your head, but a big movie can't really do that anymore. Not with this genre at least. You gotta be a lot punchier and that's just not Snyder's thing. He's a slow build kinda guy and I really believe fans would be more forgiving in a format that supports that style better.

They’ve given the guy the ball, so I say let him figure out the way he wants to score. And from what we’ve heard, he pitched it as a potential miniseries to the execs and big wigs at his house.

We’ve seen 3 and a half hour Zack Snyder movies with everything jam packed into them, but we’ve never seen the man space everything out and let the work breathe in a miniseries type situation. I think if there’s ever a time to experiment and go for something we’ve never seen before, it’s now. And who knows, it could serve him well in the end.

If you would have asked me before I definitely would have said a movie, but hearing the points being made on both sides makes me think a TV Mini-Series probably would fit Synder's style of storytelling a lot better, especially if they made each episode an hour long. The only thing I would hate then is waiting a whole week for the next episode unless they decided to drop it all at once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"