Justice League Zack Snyder Directing Justice League - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snyder and his wife are quite influential in Hollywood so I'm sure at the very least, he'll continue to have his passion projects supported.

How are they currently influential in Hollywood? I'm genuinely curious.

Has anybody actually tried watching MoS, BvS, and JL is back-to-back-to-back succession?

I did that over this past weekend. The difference in tone, style, aesthetic, and filmmaking sensibilities between MoS/BvS and JL is... jarring, to say the least. The latter does not fit with the first two at all.

I haven't and I don't intend to because I know how jarring it's going to be. I'm not going to sit through that. Not even in the slightest.

I haven't and I don't intend to because I know how jarring it's going to be. I'm not going to sit through that. Not even in the slightest.
Seriously. The difference between MoS and BvS has more to do with tone than anything, but they're otherwise pretty consistent with each other as complimentary films.

The difference between BvS and JL, on the other hand, is absolutely mind-bending. No way can you sit down and watch all three of these movies and think they make up a cohesive "trilogy." Frankly, the jump from MoS to BvS to JL is one of the most poignant examples of studio incompetence I have ever seen. If they ever wrote a book "How Not to Make a Franchise," this is your test subject.

Seriously. The difference between MoS and BvS has more to do with tone than anything, but they're otherwise pretty consistent with each other as complimentary films.

The difference between BvS and JL, on the other hand, is absolutely mind-bending. No way can you sit down and watch all three of these movies and think they make up a cohesive "trilogy." Frankly, the jump from MoS to BvS to JL is one of the most poignant examples of studio incompetence I have ever seen. If they ever wrote a book "How Not to Make a Franchise," this is your test subject.

Exactly right. I did a back to back with MOS and BvS on Sunday and it was so consistent. Just well done, all around.

But JL? It’s not even in the same universe and yet we’re suppose to accept it as is. Damn that.

Seriously, WB might not get Home video money from me on JL. That’s how not happy about what went down.

As someone who wasn't a fan of the first two, would you have preferred JL been a complete product of Snyder's in spite of everything else?

For me, if Snyder had to be on the production it befuddles me how they could highjack and restructure almost the entirety of this film in a way which was antithetical to his sensibilities.

It's infuriatingly heartbreaking to see what this film has done for the brand. I don't wanna be that bitter fanboy. But man, today I wake up to covers of the MCU on Vanity f'n Fair and some leaked trailer clips...boy, do I want WB to burn for this. :funny:

His days behind the director's chair at WB are done. The Wachowski sisters comparison is apt, but their flops were all individual films and none of them were in a franchise WB desperately wanted to get off the ground.

After Justice League, there is no way the Snyders are helming another DC movie.

When they allegedly have Gareth Evans interested? Nah.

And I'm sorry but the action in JL was horrible. Especially that murky Atlantis fight. The only thing I liked about the action was Wonder Woman deflecting bullets like in the animated version during the heist.

But Patty can take care of that in her own film and Gareth Evans takes a big steaming **** all over Snyders action.

As someone who wasn't a fan of the first two, would you have preferred JL been a complete product of Snyder's in spite of everything else?

[BOLD]For me, if Snyder had to be on the production it befuddles me how they could highjack and restructure almost the entirety of this film in a way which was antithetical to his sensibilities.[/BOLD]

It's infuriatingly heartbreaking to see what this film has done for the brand. I don't wanna be that bitter fanboy. But man, today I wake up to covers of the MCU on Vanity f'n Fair and some leaked trailer clips...boy, do I want WB to burn for this. :funny:

Hell. Yes.

The shift in musical composer is a big part in that. Zimmer and Junkie really crafted a tonal identity for MoS and BvS that created a certain mood and atmosphere for those films. Elfman is such a far left turn that that ib of itself changes the tone od the series.

DPpheKGXUAEdTap.jpg:large

Damn.

For me, if Snyder had to be on the production it befuddles me how they could highjack and restructure almost the entirety of this film in a way which was antithetical to his sensibilities.

I just don't understand what they were thinking bringing in Whedon to finish it off. I'm a fan of Whedon's work but he and Snyder are polar opposites when it comes to tone and style. It was such an odd choice, to begin with.

WB really does not look good right now in all this. The fact they even expected any director to come in and reshoot about 25% of the film without being given any credit and forced to do it all within 2-3 months of the film's release is just mind-boggling to me. And if they weren't satisfied with BvS why did they even bring back Snyder in the first place? So many bad decisions were made in this process it's astonishing. I for one, don't like seeing CBM's fail but right now, I'm kind of happy to see WB losing money on this. That might be the only way this all gets cleared up moving forward and WB doesn't continue to mess up these films.

Not odd at all if you’re only quest is to make the film more like the magical AVENGERS.

Exactly right. I did a back to back with MOS and BvS on Sunday and it was so consistent. Just well done, all around.

But JL? It’s not even in the same universe and yet we’re suppose to accept it as is. Damn that.

Seriously, WB might not get Home video money from me on JL. That’s how not happy about what went down.

Same here on the home video front. I was gonna go see JL a 2nd time today, but went to see Ragnorak instead as I am just so pissed off with what WB did here.

Honestly, I don't know how Snyder's cut could have possibly been worse than what we got. I really don't, and I say that as one of the more vocal Snyder critics here. The fact that the studio thought his cut was worse is deeply troubling, but they have shown time and time again to be clueless to this sort of thing. Maybe it was the run-time that scared them, but I would think that a skilled editor could have trimmed it down without having to bring in a brand new director to shoot a bunch of new stuff. Right or wrong, it seems WB had problems with the content.

Still, if they knew JL was a lost cause then they should have let Snyder see it through (for better or worse). They hired the guy in the first place, and then they kept him on-board after BvS tanked. As far as I'm concerned, they should have slept in the bed they made. At least the fans who appreciate the Snyder films would have had some semblance of a cohesive trilogy. What we got instead? It's like MoS and BvS opened the door one day and there was some stranger's baby just sitting on their doorstep.

Letting Snyder make 2.5+ hour movies, then panicking at the run-times late in the game. Letting Snyder kill Superman two movies into a shared universe. This whole thing is ****ed.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know how Snyder's cut could have possibly been worse than what we got. I really don't, and I say that as one of the more vocal Snyder critics here. The fact that the studio thought his cut was worse is deeply troubling, but they have shown time and time again to be clueless to this sort of thing.

Still, if they knew JL was a lost cause then they should have let Snyder see it through (for better or worse). At least the fans who appreciate the Snyder films would have had some semblance of a cohesive trilogy. What we got instead? It's like MoS and BvS opened the door one day and there was some stranger's baby just sitting on their doorstep.

Letting Snyder make 2.5+ hour movies then panicking at the run-times late in the game. Letting Snyder kill Superman two movies into a shared universe. This whole thing is ****ed.

:up:

Honestly, I don't know how Snyder's cut could have possibly been worse than what we got. I really don't, and I say that as one of the more vocal Snyder critics here. The fact that the studio thought his cut was worse is deeply troubling, but they have shown time and time again to be clueless to this sort of thing.

Still, if they knew JL was a lost cause then they should have let Snyder see it through (for better or worse). At least the fans who appreciate the Snyder films would have had some semblance of a cohesive trilogy. What we got instead? It's like MoS and BvS opened the door one day and there was some stranger's baby sitting on their doorstep.

I agree. JL was already going to be different and lighter than BvS from the get go. What they should have done is retain the fanbase, and expand upon it by JL being more friendly for more audiences.

What they ended up doing extremely stupidly, is a violent 180, in order to pander to those who didnt like the previous films. That resulted in losing the fanbase and interest they already had, and not convincing the people, who will rightly watch a Marvel film instead, which is competently made and delivers. The audience can see what a hackjob the theatrical cut, is and the BO shows.

Wonder Woman showed they could have easily struck a balance, keeping the old audience and bringing newer ones in. People who loved WW were ready to give JL a chance, but they ****ed it up. And they ended up alienating almost all audiences. Now you get articles like this :

Why Warner Bros. should have left Zack Snyder’s DCEU alone

Justice League Should Have Been More Like Batman V Superman

Maybe the problem with 'Justice League' is that it's not enough like 'Batman v Superman

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/11/warner-bros-left-zack-snyders-dceu-alone/
https://screenrant.com/justice-league-too-safe-batman-v-superman/
http://mashable.com/2017/11/18/just...n/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#tVAvYqc.YPqA

WB should have realised doing exactly what Marvel did in 2012 , will not help them. They had no ****ing novelty with this, this was generic. BvS, SS, WW...they build a lot of hype and excitement with their marketing because it had novelty. JL marketing couldnt do that, as they were desperately trying to be like what Marvel was 5 years back. The GA wont fall for that. The whole JL marketing campaign was them apologising for BvS, talking about the tone and what not, instead of hyping up the current movie. Market JL as Mad Max/300 with DC characters, and you have some novelty.

They ****ing threw all that potential away. Criminal.

Last edited:

Wow, I agree with everything you said lol. Just laughing cause we usually don't agree :p

I agree. JL was already going to be different and lighter than BvS from the get go. What they should have done is retain the fanbase, and expand upon it by JL being more friendly for more audiences.

What they ended up doing extremely stupidly, is a violent 180, in order to pander to those who didnt like the previous films. That resulted in losing the fanbase and interest they already had, and not convincing the people, who will rightly watch a Marvel film instead, which is competently made and delivers. The audience can see what a hackjob the theatrical cut, is and the BO shows.

Wonder Woman showed they could have easily struck a balance, keeping the old audience and bringing newer ones in. People who loved WW were ready to give JL a chance, but they ****ed it up. And they ended up alienating almost all audiences. Now you get articles like this :

Maybe the problem with 'Justice League' is that it's not enough like 'Batman v Superman

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/11/warner-bros-left-zack-snyders-dceu-alone/
http://mashable.com/2017/11/18/just...n/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#tVAvYqc.YPqA

agreed.

i think snyder was already making JL with a bit more levity compared to his previous two movies.
if i have to compare - its like how return of the jedi is lighter than empire strikes back but still felt like a proper continuation.

but then WB decided to put their foot on the gas and added too much forced humor/and last minute reshoots - they ended up watering down their whole product.

they should've looked at what they did with wonder woman - it had the right balance of dramatic weight and levity. i hope the next dd movies have more of the WW tone.

Snyder had directed these 'light' commercials for Man of Steel and Batman V Superman, so it was not a difficult task for him to change the tone of his movies, WB needed to trust him.

[YT]L48IkFF5BhM[/YT]

[YT]tXek6jW3eWI[/YT]

[YT]pS7JBHxdxko[/YT]

Last edited:

WB should have realised doing exactly what Marvel did in 2012 , will not help them. They had no ****ing novelty with this, this was generic. BvS, SS, WW...they build a lot of hype and excitement with their marketing because it had novelty. JL marketing couldnt do that, as they were desperately trying to be like what Marvel was 5 years back. The GA wont fall for that. The whole JL marketing campaign was them apologising for BvS, talking about the tone and what not, instead of hyping up the current movie. Market JL as Mad Max/300 with DC characters, and you have some novelty.

They ****ing threw all that potential away. Criminal.

:up::up:

Snyder had directed these 'light' commercials for Man od Steel and Batman V Superman, so it was not a difficult task for him to change the tone of his movies, WB needed to trust him.

[YT]L48IkFF5BhM[/YT]

[YT]tXek6jW3eWI[/YT]

[YT]pS7JBHxdxko[/YT]

Man, Affleck and Eisenberg were PERFECT in those ads.

Wonder Woman showed they could have easily struck a balance, keeping the old audience and bringing newer ones in. People who loved WW were ready to give JL a chance, but they ****ed it up. And they ended up alienating almost all audiences.
JL failed to ignite from the starting line though. That indicates WW was an anomaly and JL was already headed downhill (thanks to BvS). It might've been saved in the long run if word of mouth got big enough, but with Coco and Star Wars on its heels, time was not on its side.

It's pretty much impossible to gauge if there was ever a huge amount of hype for JL because the people who usually vote in polls like that are fans who were gonna see it regardless. It's the same reason these IMDB user scores are worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"