Zack Snyder Directing Justice League (The Snyder Cut Edition)

Discussion in 'Justice League' started by flickchick85, May 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chintai80 oh hi.

agreed with all the above.

also, i will always appreciate zack making mos and bvs pretty much about the immigrant experience as well.

me, being a child of immigrants, i find superman's story in these two films to be relatable and compelling.

especially now with the rise in xenophobia from the last 4 years or so + from the pandemic.

superman, considers himself human (and an american), but is never fully embraced as so.

just as my community are seen as perpetual foreigners in a country that we've lived in and have been contributing to for 200 years.

and the old country which my family left is as foreign to me as krypton is to clark.

2. kguillou Registered

Man, I remember when the 2017 reviews hit, even the positive reviews were saying Steppnwolf was one of the stupidiest cbm villains ever. Not hearing that now.

3. chintai80 oh hi.

the case of good design going a long way.

4. blackdragon6 Registered

It's funny, people claim critics are walking on egg shells cause they're afraid to say the film is just alright lol.

Madam-Shogun likes this.
  5. Arachnerd The White Portuguese

Which is odd considering that there are critics who've come out and said they disliked the movie. Granted, half the ones I read had... perplexing notions to say the least.

Madam-Shogun likes this.
  6. Hollis Mason Registered

I even read a bad review that praised him as more interesting than the heroes. Even the negative reviews are kinda praising his character.

kguillou and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  7. Comicbookguy339 Registered

Something that's in the WW/Steppenwolf clip that wasn't in the theatrical cut - there's a moment of hesitation on Steppenwolf's part when he looks at the axe and is determining whether he can grab it before WW gets to him. A small thing but it makes the character feel real.

8. Arachnerd The White Portuguese

Imagine what you can do with a character when you don't completely retool him and cut out his backstory to make him a generic villain.

9. KaijuDude1992 Registered

Man I cannot wait to see Steppenwolf finally get his shine in this movie just like he should have in the 2017 version and actually feel like a properly motivated villian.

So hyped to see what Zack brings to him in this and I'm loving all the early praise with some saying he's actually more of a sympathetic character in this version which is very interesting IMO.

10. chintai80 oh hi.

one review i skimmed described SW as a middle manager under probation.

so there's an element of desperation in his acts.
    i think it was ciara hinds in an interview back in 2017 who mentioned that SW is trying to gain the motherboxes for himself so he can free himself from darkseid's slavery.

11. spideyfan77 Registered

I definitely agree and that is why I am also excited for the batman the most. BTAS is literal perfection. Realistically we also only got burton movies and nolan movies for batman. The other movies dont count.

Give me batman trilogy all day. Ill take JL batfleck moving forward to differentiate from pattinson if they want to continue. For keaton, I just dont trust that movie yet. Need to see trailer before getting excited.

But yes I am open to JL2 and JL3 but no batfleck movie. Pattinson has taken over solo batman movies. Let affleck do the team up justice league movies

The Lazarus Pit likes this.
  12. Arachnerd The White Portuguese

Yep. That one single aspect makes him more interesting than the bland "durr, I am the end of worlds, who are you to defy me?!!1111".

MaceB, KaijuDude1992 and chintai80 like this.
  13. J.Drangal Registered

This just shattered my mind. Blown it.
    I can totally imagine a futuristic version of Batman Returns Gotham especially. These endless vertical lines and black horizons, and the big geometrically stylized statues... It's would be just so easy to drawn something very unique from it.
    And I see it made in a more traditional way. Give me some amazing sets, miniatures, and matte paintings. Real textures, much like, as you said, the first Blade Runner and, naturally, the two Burton Batman films. It would maintain a visual consistency and be completely fresh against the usual, and often overly, CGIed environments from all other movies.

Well, one can hope...

Nice post by the way !

#22388 J.Drangal, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    The Lazarus Pit likes this.
  14. Joined:
    May 2, 2012
  15. Madam-Shogun Assassin

I think my biggest issue with reviews is finding objective reviewers without baggage in regards to liking/hating Zack Snyder. One reviewer from Fandom Entertainment basically admitted to not liking Snyder's take on the characters, and to be frank that makes me weary of his opinion. Similar to all those gushing reviews on twitter with #SnyderCut in their name tags lol.

16. ArmsHeldOut Registered

Superherofan123 likes this.
  17. blackdragon6 Registered

I go by reviewers who's taste align with my tastes.

AVEITWITHJAMON and DeadStroke like this.
  18. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Regardless of the reviews yet to come in, I think the ones we've got paint a pretty clear picture of what we're getting here: Those with the #SnyderCut in their Twitter handles or whatever are going to love it to pieces and think it's the greatest thing ever; those who hate Snyder's style and/or take on the mythos will still hate it, albeit likely less than they hate BvS; and those who are mixed on Snyder will likely find it to be one of his better efforts, while still containing instances of those tendencies of his that they don't care for. It's not gonna win a ton of new fans but I think it will go down as Snyder's most fondly-remembered film (to date). That's how it's looking to me, anyway.

19. heatvision38 Man of Steel

Just watched Perri Nemiroff's review. It's funny the contrast because it feels like for Snyder in the past, people would have to give long prefaces to their reviews or videos to let people know where they were coming from before they criticized the movie, but in her video, it was just the opposite. She gave a long preface before going into saying she liked it, gave it 4/5.

I just thought the contrast was interesting, as if people are surprised they liked it. I think that is as telling as anything else.

idiot09 and blackdragon6 like this.
  20. kguillou Registered

So i was planning on watching MoS tonight but..I got the urge to revisit Watchmen instead( i havent seen this in a while). Holy moly, the opening 10 mins of this movie is one of the genre’s best. IMO

21. Comicbookguy339 Registered

Which cut?

22. blackdragon6 Registered

It is, it's probably my favorite opening montage ever!

Broseph44 likes this.
  23. ArmsHeldOut Registered

Film critique in and of itself can be useful. But when you put a numeric value on that, it feels like you're equating it with the film's overall worth. And that's the part I mostly take issue with.

dhandler01 and Arachnerd like this.
  24. blackdragon6 Registered

Film criticism has gotten a lot more contentious for some reason. I personally blame the vitriolic reactions to both Zack's DC films, and the Star Wars sequels. Just ****ing NUTS

25. J.Drangal Registered

I also rewatched Watchmen last week and even if I'm foremost and always be a Batman fan, I have to say this movie is firmly installed on my personal podium of comic book movies. To my tastes, the film is nearly perfect. I love the adaptation work, the cast, the production design, the photography, the soundtrack... Everything.

More interestingly, I think this movie shows that Zack Snyder definitely has more perspective than people sometimes think. The tone is perfect. Serious when needed, with good humor sprinkled here and there to bring lightness to what is a pretty dark story, not to mention how the film is also never too shy to use a bit of grandiloquence, whether to bring a totally assumed mythological atmosphere or a twisted irony. It reminds me a bit of Verhoeven on Robocop actually ...

Anyway, it's a shame the film didn't really meet its audience back then, moviegoers being perhaps still too high on TDK released the year before, and probably already excited by the early days of the MCU. I personally think the film came out too early. Its superhero deconstruction would probably have been more appreciated today after several dozen of Marvel and DC films. Also, its depiction of a world in crisis seems to be sadly more relevant each day passing by...
    That being said, I remember how well, over here, the film was received by critics, who quickly ranked it alongside TDK as a representative of a new era of comic book movies, transcended by singular author's vision and offering some food for thought in addition to the show.

To my eyes, Watchmen remains the best Snyder movie and I'm pretty sure its cult following will continue to grow years after years.

#22400 J.Drangal, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.